Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bell RS-1
NightRider Offline
Running Like a Top

Tennessee
RE: Bell RS-1
Yup, you should have good luck and fun finding a helmet. It was a pleasureable experience for me and I'm sure for you too as there are so many to choose from! I think they are all safe myself so when I focus on fit and comfort and then on do-dads so the shield does not cut my nose off and it has a place to put a bluetooth thingie and it has a good built-in sun and glare shield that I can use with gloves and it has vents and will stay cool even in the sun (think white or yellow or silver) and is in my budget, then I am happy.

Much better nowadays with such a big selection with even budget helmets being very protective with normal issues and comfortable to boot.

Heat was a concern of mine. I live in the South. I can see a black helmet cooking me in traffic. The saleslady tried to talk me out of that view, she said independent tests showed that black helmets were just a cool as white in the sun because of the insulation in the helmet itself. However, it turned out the tests were done with unworn helmets and a thermometer in the empty helment, without a 98+ degree sweaty rider head inside adding to the heat on the other side of that insulation so I guessed such testing is unrealistic and I went with white for that reason and for visibility, safety.

2014 CB1100 Black Edition - FOUR EVER
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2015 02:18 PM by NightRider.)
03-11-2015 02:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
When new, I like my helmet to fit as tight as possible without any pain/pressure points so finding the right helmet shape is key. Over time, the padding will break in a bit and the tightness will ease up. Actual pressure points are a different story - that pain is only amplified with time.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
03-11-2015 11:36 PM
linuxology Offline
1st Service Completed

Louisiana
Any other recommendations for full face in 150-230 dollar range?
03-12-2015 07:22 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I don't know the model numbers, but HJC does make some good helmets in that price range. I think you can even find some HJC RPHA line helmets at the high end of that range, but I'm not sure. My wife just got an RPHA 10 helmet, but she won it in a raffle, so I dp don't recall the price. I have also read some really good reviews of 2015 Icon and Scorpion full face helmets and they should fall in that price range. Wish I had more information for you. Happy hunting. Smile

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
03-12-2015 07:35 PM
gossman Offline
Running Like a Top

Poverty Gulch, Oregon
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-...lmet-liner I'm still in the opinion to purchase a larger head liner for $20 to save from losing money on the helmet purchase. If the cheek pieces are snug, it should improve the fit.
03-12-2015 07:47 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Good idea, Gossman. Seems to me that even if the liner doesn't work, you could sell it and the helmet as a set to recoup some of the cost. Definitely cheaper than another helmet.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
03-12-2015 07:52 PM
linuxology Offline
1st Service Completed

Louisiana
Actually there is no other size that to my knowledge that I can move to as the shell size is the largest size before moving to a medium/large. The pressure is actually coming from the foam behind the liner as the liner is very thin. I have shipped the product back for return. No issues. I will continue my search.
03-13-2015 09:32 AM
metallyguitarded Offline
Road Warrior

United States
I'm almost certain the RS-1 has what is called an "intermediate-oval" shape, which means it is slightly narrower on the sides and slightly longer front to back. You may want to do an online search for helmets with a "round" shape since you experienced pressure at your temples. Good luck!

Here's an article Revzilla put out discussing the various helmet shapes that may help you narrow down your choices: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-helmet-guide

"People are more violently opposed to fur than to leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs." - A. Sayle
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2015 10:31 AM by metallyguitarded.)
03-13-2015 10:27 AM
gossman Offline
Running Like a Top

Poverty Gulch, Oregon
(03-13-2015 09:32 AM)linuxology Wrote:  Actually there is no other size that to my knowledge that I can move to as the shell size is the largest size before moving to a medium/large. The pressure is actually coming from the foam behind the liner as the liner is very thin. I have shipped the product back for return. No issues. I will continue my search.
I didn't realize you had the option to send it back for a refund. If that Bell didn't fit, it's unlikely that other Bell helmets will fit. Good luck on your search, might want to try a HJC since they are shaped differently. Bell, Shoei, and Speed and Strength fit me, as much as I would like, I can't get a comfortable fit with HJC.
03-13-2015 12:37 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM