Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.33 Average
scoot's guide to some "cheap" cafe racer mods
Sunnyj15 Offline
New To The Forum

Salt Lake City, UT
RE: scoot's guide to some "cheap" cafe racer mods
(03-17-2015 08:42 AM)scooticus Wrote:  Good Day,

Sorry for the misleading topic but I have been searching for some cafe racer mods in the forum to no avail as most of the members here seem to have parts fabricated. AsussieFlyer's mod is one such example. While it is unique, there are some of us who wants a cafe racer look but simply did not have the resources to fabricate but would prefer to purchase parts if available. I am one of such example.

It started off with the dilemma of deciding between the thruxton and CB11 to purchase. I would have to admit that in Malaysia, Thruxton is cheaper ( around usd 18k as compared to the CB11 at us 24k. ( Malaysia is one of the most expensive places to own vehicles due to our tax ). After months of searching and exploring, I found that it would be safer to go with the triumph as it's a cafe racer out of the box. Coupled with some british customs mods and i have a gorgeous looking bike. Honda's in the other hand has been very reliable and i have to admit that i have grown up with honda's and they have been robust, reliable and dependable. It is the cafe racer look that seems to be of a challenge. Nevertheless, I decided to jump into the unknown and make something for myself. This to me would be a basic template for people who wants a CB11 cafe racer but find it difficult to fabricate parts on their own.

My definition of "cheap" means that all the mods that you see only requires your credit card and some patience waiting for the shipment to arrive. Understand this, purchasing online incurs postage charges and local taxes ( ouch.. found out the hard way ). No customised parts from your local store required and all you need is a fairly good mechanic to assemble it for you or yourself if you have the time and the patience.

I will break this post into a few parts and hopefully be able to help some new members to change the look of their bikes without having to worry if it fits. I would list down what i got for myself and where to purchase it. This is in no way an expert's advice but serves as a documented guide on

1. the look I wanted
2. what was done
3. where i got it from
4. the result and conclusion

to make something from stock :

to this

To be continued........

Cheers
Scoot

Hi Scoot, very beautiful CB!! i have a question for you, i am thinking of buying the Yamamoto clip ons as well. Did you have to get shorter cables for these bars?
06-11-2016 12:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scooticus Offline
Break-In Period

malaysia
(06-11-2016 12:57 AM)Sunnyj15 Wrote:  
(03-17-2015 08:42 AM)scooticus Wrote:  Good Day,

Sorry for the misleading topic but I have been searching for some cafe racer mods in the forum to no avail as most of the members here seem to have parts fabricated. AsussieFlyer's mod is one such example. While it is unique, there are some of us who wants a cafe racer look but simply did not have the resources to fabricate but would prefer to purchase parts if available. I am one of such example.

It started off with the dilemma of deciding between the thruxton and CB11 to purchase. I would have to admit that in Malaysia, Thruxton is cheaper ( around usd 18k as compared to the CB11 at us 24k. ( Malaysia is one of the most expensive places to own vehicles due to our tax ). After months of searching and exploring, I found that it would be safer to go with the triumph as it's a cafe racer out of the box. Coupled with some british customs mods and i have a gorgeous looking bike. Honda's in the other hand has been very reliable and i have to admit that i have grown up with honda's and they have been robust, reliable and dependable. It is the cafe racer look that seems to be of a challenge. Nevertheless, I decided to jump into the unknown and make something for myself. This to me would be a basic template for people who wants a CB11 cafe racer but find it difficult to fabricate parts on their own.

My definition of "cheap" means that all the mods that you see only requires your credit card and some patience waiting for the shipment to arrive. Understand this, purchasing online incurs postage charges and local taxes ( ouch.. found out the hard way ). No customised parts from your local store required and all you need is a fairly good mechanic to assemble it for you or yourself if you have the time and the patience.

I will break this post into a few parts and hopefully be able to help some new members to change the look of their bikes without having to worry if it fits. I would list down what i got for myself and where to purchase it. This is in no way an expert's advice but serves as a documented guide on

1. the look I wanted
2. what was done
3. where i got it from
4. the result and conclusion

to make something from stock :

to this

To be continued........

Cheers
Scoot

Hi Scoot, very beautiful CB!! i have a question for you, i am thinking of buying the Yamamoto clip ons as well. Did you have to get shorter cables for these bars?

well, my suggestion is for you to get a longer throttle cable and reroute it right underneath the front lights and gas tank. it is advisable to have a friend to help you out as you will need to take out quite a lot of stuff if you want to replace the throttle cables. man, it has been a while since i posted anything here as work, family, ultra running & riding sort of deprived me from spending time in front of the computer.

Cheers
Scooticus
i run so i can eat ... and drink ... a lot... Beer[/u]
06-19-2016 07:26 AM
Throttle Offline
New To The Forum

Singapore
Fabulous looking silver CB11!
06-19-2016 08:57 AM
dsinned Offline
Running Like a Top

San Jose, CA
Scooticus, I wish Honda saw fit to release a "silver" color CB1100 like yours. A silver would have looked so much better with chrome fenders. And if the exhaust sound from a set of Pipemasters is anything as good as they look, they will be absolutely awesome!
06-20-2016 02:11 PM
scooticus Offline
Break-In Period

malaysia
(06-20-2016 02:11 PM)dsinned Wrote:  Scooticus, I wish Honda saw fit to release a "silver" color CB1100 like yours. A silver would have looked so much better with chrome fenders. And if the exhaust sound from a set of Pipemasters is anything as good as they look, they will be absolutely awesome!

actually honda does have the cb1100 in silver the last i checked. i had mine painted as it was the only cb in town for sale and i didn't have much of a choice. you can check this link out. it's from samurider http://bit.ly/28NY8oW but i cannot deny silver is the colour to go for especially with so much chrome on the bike.

Cheers
Scooticus
06-22-2016 10:32 AM
beardyweirdy@me.com Offline
Running Like a Top

London
Hey Scooticus,

Really lovey build, very classy.
Just a quick question, did your bike come with the Engine Covers polished like that?
In the UK the EX model came with a silver painted engine, which was a bit of a disappointment. The bare covers look far better....

Kev

(06-22-2016 10:32 AM)scooticus Wrote:  
(06-20-2016 02:11 PM)dsinned Wrote:  Scooticus, I wish Honda saw fit to release a "silver" color CB1100 like yours. A silver would have looked so much better with chrome fenders. And if the exhaust sound from a set of Pipemasters is anything as good as they look, they will be absolutely awesome!

actually honda does have the cb1100 in silver the last i checked. i had mine painted as it was the only cb in town for sale and i didn't have much of a choice. you can check this link out. it's from samurider http://bit.ly/28NY8oW but i cannot deny silver is the colour to go for especially with so much chrome on the bike.
06-29-2016 03:55 AM
scooticus Offline
Break-In Period

malaysia
engine covers are stock and i would assume it comes like this everywhere else in the world. perhaps its just the pictures showing some glass as compared to the actual ones which looks more matt than seen on the pictures.

hope this helps.

(06-29-2016 03:55 AM)beardyweirdy@me.com Wrote:  Hey Scooticus,

Really lovey build, very classy.
Just a quick question, did your bike come with the Engine Covers polished like that?
In the UK the EX model came with a silver painted engine, which was a bit of a disappointment. The bare covers look far better....

Kev

(06-22-2016 10:32 AM)scooticus Wrote:  

Cheers
Scooticus
07-09-2016 11:55 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,752

Full Statistics

>