Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sidestand Foot
Chapomis Offline
High Mileage

Cape Cod
RE: Sidestand Foot
I think in a garage or a level paved surface I will prefer the centerstand now that I have seen the correct way to use it. Plus it looks so much nicer ! Most driveways around here including mine are either stone, shell or dirt....and very uneven. I'm a happy camper now and will move on to the next issue....windshields.

Yes, great thread. Thanks!

2014 CB1100 Deluxe, Kawa Gaiters, OEM heated grips, K&H Cafe seat, Kijima guards (inadequate), Chic short red rear fender, CB500 mirrors, barbacks and RLETs
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2015 08:41 AM by Chapomis.)
03-29-2015 08:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Ha Ha, windshields--no debate there! Big Grin

I think there are about 1000 threads and pics on them all ovr the board. Smile And, its getting time for a new oil thread! Banana

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
03-29-2015 08:51 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(03-29-2015 08:17 AM)Chapomis Wrote:  Pheew... Thanks Ferret. I was having nightmares about bringing the bike over on the ferry. It's already dicey taking a bike over when the seas are high, wasn't looking forward to standing on the freight deck for 2+ hours babysitting the bike on a centerstand.
I took my bike over Bass Strait on the Ferry. Bass Strait can be very rough and unpleasant and I was interested to see how they would secure the bike. I was asked to leave it on the side stand and in gear. They then strapped it very securely using webbing gloves that fitted over the grips to keep the strapping clear of the bike. There was no way it could move. Made me think about leaving it on the centre stand though. The left-hand side has a lever that you put your foot on to haul the bike up. The right hand side simply has a stand with a small foot. A boat that rolled the bike too far to the right could easily have it off the centre stand unless it it were well strapped down. There a photos all over this forum of chaps whose bikes prefer to travel on a trailer. They seem to use the centre stand, but tie the bike down well.

I'd be looking to try to strap the bike down when it's on the ferry, particularly if its rough.

(03-29-2015 08:51 AM)popgun Wrote:  Ha Ha, windshields--no debate there! Big Grin

I think there are about 1000 threads and pics on them all ovr the board. Smile And, its getting time for a new oil thread! Banana
You go first, popgun. Tell us about your coyote oil. Clap
03-29-2015 08:02 PM
Chapomis Offline
High Mileage

Cape Cod
Good idea. Not sure they have any tie-downs specifically for that purpose, but I will check when I take my Softail over in a couple of weeks..

2014 CB1100 Deluxe, Kawa Gaiters, OEM heated grips, K&H Cafe seat, Kijima guards (inadequate), Chic short red rear fender, CB500 mirrors, barbacks and RLETs
03-30-2015 02:54 AM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
We have several open deck ferries here that do the crossings in a short time (15 minutes or less) so we just stay with the bikes.
On the larger enclosed car ferries the ships provide tie-downs for motorcycles and you're encouraged to use them.
You can also bring your own as the ship tie-dawns are a bit ratty, but in either case, you'd be a fool to not use them.
We've always used just the sidestand and four tie-downs. The bikes were as solid as a rock on our trip across the Gulf of St. Lawrence from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland and back.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
03-30-2015 06:09 AM
Chapomis Offline
High Mileage

Cape Cod
Nova Scotia is on my list for a trip. Whats the best time to go in your opinion ? I always tell people to come to Nantucket in September or October. The weather is beautiful and most of the summer hoard are gone.

03-30-2015 06:40 AM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
I've been to Cape Cod and area a couple of times by car and it's beautiful there.
September is often one of the best months for riding in the Maritimes.
Right after Labor Day is a great time as the tourists have all gone, but all the tourist facilities (motels, restaurants, etc.) are still open.
It's very motorcycle friendly up here.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
03-30-2015 09:40 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
A new Camry should last till the next Ic . . .Gone in 60 — 05:39 PM
That is a very good story, Ferret. In . . .The ferret — 03:58 PM