Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Will the CB1100 be the last of it's kind in America?
Papa Weeley Offline
High Mileage

SoCal
RE: Will the CB1100 be the last of it's kind in America?
I guess I'm an enigma; at 57, I started out converting used Japanese versions of Brit twins into cafe racers back in the '70s, and drooled over the look and sound of the inline 4 CB750, which was unfortunately beyond my budget. That morphed into 3 decades of sportbikes, when a decent income started after college in the early '80s, and I no longer had to buy used compromises of what I really wanted. Now, I find that my aging body doesn't want to fold up onto the committed position they require, and I get a lot more satisfaction and fun out of riding upright on my CB11 or lightly-cafe'd Triumph Bonneville. And I have to add here that I honestly feel that my CB is the most beautiful bike I've ever owned.
However, my heart still beats faster at the sight of a Ducati superbike. Or the KTM RC8, or...well, the sportbike list goes on and on. I still love their looks, whether trellis-framed, or aluminum perimeter-framed, you name it. Yet I fully understand that beauty is obviously subjective, as it is with any style of bike, car, art, etc. I'm just glad that there are so many bikes, in so many far-flung styles available now for every taste and niche, that nearly anybody can find a design and size that is well-suited to their situation, budget and needs.
But obviously, that doesn't change the fact that I was weened on UJMs, and still love and appreciate that style, which I've quite happily found again in the guise of the CB.

[color=#FFA500][i][color=#32CD32][color=#00BFFF]Ham and eggs - a day's work for a chicken, a life-altering experience for a pig.[/color][/color][/i][/color]
2013 CB1100 #056, with too danged many mods to list.
2015 Honda CB500x
04-16-2015 11:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Henrik Offline
Running Like a Top

Switzerland
I'm not really as negative as some, even though I do not like the current trend in motorcycle design. I could accept the new technology with all the electronics and ride by wire, but I don't like the looks of current bikes in general. A good friend of mine has a motorcycle shop in the area, and I had bought my previous Moto Morini from him. However, a few years ago he took up a Kawasaki and Aprilia dealership, and he has been very successful since. Unfortunately it also means I am not in the market to buy any bikes from him.

The other day I went to see him and to buy a new helmet. We stood around and talked about bikes for a while, and he admired my CB. Last year I had been to see him about getting a W800, but in the end I preferred the CB. He told me that there are rumours that Kawasaki might bring back the Zephyr! Although he sells a lot of bikes as it is, he also has a lot of demand for something like that, which is why he understands my choice.

Trends change, and I can't really think of any mainstream or really popular bikes that have appealed to me over the past 10 or 15 years. However, there have always been enough more original bikes available through these years, and I think there will be in the future as well. Perhaps not another CB11, but certainly a valid alternative.

But I am not selling the CB anytime soon!
04-16-2015 12:01 PM
Rebel73 Offline
High Mileage

Lost Angels, Ca
I like having something that isn't so popular.

I guess I've always been kind of "counter-culture" (thus the handle). I have no need to get a 180mph crotch rocket. I'm not suicidal. Cruisers are cool, and I have one of those, too, but standards and cafes have always been my favorite.

- Rob

Mods: Guhl ECU flash, Over Racing Slip-ons, Custom paint, Chic Sport Trunk Seat, Road Comet 1, Hakofugu short front fender, rear fender removed, Motech black engine guards, Renthal low bars, Moto Delux bar-end mirrors, RLETs, headlight grill, Triumph fork gaiters[size=small][/size]
04-16-2015 12:38 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
(04-16-2015 12:01 PM)Henrik Wrote:  He told me that there are rumours that Kawasaki might bring back the Zephyr!

That would be interesting. The 90s Zephyr models were virtually carbon copies of the old KZ bikes (Z bikes for you guys across the pond). They would probably have to come up with new engines, as I think the old air cooled, 8 valve powerplants would no longer pass emissions requirements.

Sadly, even if they brought them back I doubt we'd see them in the States. Last time around, the Zephyr series was very successful, everywhere but here.

I'd buy one.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
04-16-2015 02:05 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
Having lunch with a co-worker that is in his late 40's; the CB standard styling does not suit him at all. He prefers the sport bike styling (rides a 600cc GXR).

I'm afraid we are victims of our age. We love what we grew up on and it wasn't Transformers.

But that is the way things go, be it clothes (well, if it follows clothes then we have hope that the classic standard will come back in style!!), music etc.

Thankfully, Honda built the CB, Kawasaki built the W650/800 etc. and we can buy the bikes WE appreciate and let the snot nosed hooligans have their transformers. Be nice to them, they will be running the nursing home.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
04-16-2015 02:28 PM
twiin640 Offline
Break-In Period

Northern VA
The bike seems to only appeal to those who already owned or liked the CB750 from back in the day. I don't think it's the be all end all bike, but it is a very very well done retro bike.

I personally don't think standards or UJM's will go away, I just think their appeal is in a slump right now. This may be a great time for someone to get some collector's items. I plan to buy at least another 2013 but will wait until the price drops a little more. Big Grin
04-16-2015 03:32 PM
thessler3 Offline
1st Service Completed

Hamburg, NJ, USA
In 2007, the KTM SuperDuke won bike of the year. I bought one. It was a good bike, but had some flaws. The styling did not appeal to many people, the seat was rock hard. Exciting to ride short distance, nice power, good tranny, outstanding handler. Excellent WP suspension, but very stiff. They didn't sell worth a darn after the first 6 months or so and were eventually discontinued. Had trouble selling mine a couple years later. The new Superduke is a very narrow niche bike - even more narrow than the 2007 model. It is a very narrow focus motorcycle - built for magazine road testers who don't have to buy it and live with it.

I have owned a lot of bikes, including a 2013 CB1100. It is a good, well-engineered bike. I like it and ride it often, but it is not very exciting like my Ducatis, Speed Triples, Tuonos and SuperDuke were.

My suggestions - modify the CB1100 to fit somewhere in the middle of the performance of the current CB1100 and the models I mention. Remove the ECU restrictions, retune for 100 plus horsepower, 17 inch wheels. Make it a bit more exciting like the original CB750 was in its day.

Look how long the ZRX1100/1200 lasted - similar to the CB1100 but with a lot more power.

I think naked bikes will survive, especially after the adventure bike craze dies.

68 CL350, 66 Bonneville, 73 Ducati 750GT, 73 Guzzi V7 Sport, 71 Norton, 76 BMW R90S, 79 GS1000, 81 & 82 GS1100, 75 CB750F, 85 FXRS, 84 Aspencade, 90 Harley Convertible, 95 & 2002 Monsters, 05 Sportster R, 99 Buell S3T, 01 & 04 Speed Triple, 07 Superduke, 07 Tuono V2, Tuono V4, 03 Gold Wing & more
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2015 05:52 PM by The ferret.)
04-16-2015 05:49 PM
DAC Offline
High Mileage

Central Ohio, USA
No worries. It's fun to see all the variety, even if motorcycle trends are an enigma. Here in the U.S., they are largely toys. Garage queens: mostly cruisers and Hypersports that see very few miles. Craigslist is full of 5-10 year-old bikes with way less than 5,000 miles on the clock.

Standards will come back, if somebody does it right. Example: Where does the Ducati Scrambler fit in all this? Not a UJM, but they are working to build a brand around a basic platform and seem to be marketing it as some sort of "hipster chic." They also offer four model options in various colors. If they get the word out, it might be something people actually buy.

For us, Honda built a great bike we on this forum had been waiting for. For everyone else, they did nothing at all to market or sell it. No color options, no mass market advertising, no real accessory choices, nada. Could have been a great platform that could have been cafe'd, tour packaged, whatever.

But someday, years from now, some guy or gal - a newbie rider or a sportbike refugee - will stumble on a low mile, used CB1100 and say, "Hey, what's this?" And they'll make a discovery that will rock their world.

Cheers!
04-16-2015 06:18 PM
dr_rock Offline
1st Service Completed

Mpls Mn
You have all raised great points and I am finding it more difficult to find new bikes that have the styling that I like as well. Is it just me or do the newer generation bikes have really cramped cock pits? I loved my Ducati Sport Classic even with the plastic tank flaw. It had that low end twin snort and it handled very well. I would love to have one of the new KTM adventure bikes or the FJ-09 as well, but with my kids entering college, I felt the CB was a stylish bike that I could both tour with and enjoy every day. The KTM and the FJ for me are both rank high on the fun factor but low in the looks department.
04-16-2015 06:48 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
If you try to mod the CB1100 to be more like todays bike then you get off the message and focus of wha the CB is intended to be. And then it's compared to modern bikes and found wanting. It is what it is.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
04-16-2015 08:19 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,751

Full Statistics

>