Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
VIBRATION - deciding too much; and living with it.
Olyrider Offline
Running Like a Top

Pacific NorthWet
good vibrations
(04-18-2015 01:17 PM)dr_rock Wrote:  Do you notice that the vibration seems to get better above 5500 rpms? I notice it between 4k and 5k but its not horrible .

I noticed it from the first day. But I feel it in my butt. Tingling sensation that I wish wasn't there, but not bad....3/10. Also between 4-5K.

Don't notice it in the bars, but I switched immediately to Pro-Grip Gel grips. Maybe they help?!

Olyrider

Ob-la-di...Ob-la-da
04-18-2015 01:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JustPassinThru Offline
Running Like a Top

Montana
RE: good vibrations
(04-18-2015 01:59 PM)Olyrider Wrote:  
(04-18-2015 01:17 PM)dr_rock Wrote:  Do you notice that the vibration seems to get better above 5500 rpms? I notice it between 4k and 5k but its not horrible .

I noticed it from the first day. But I feel it in my butt. Tingling sensation that I wish wasn't there, but not bad....3/10. Also between 4-5K.

Don't notice it in the bars, but I switched immediately to Pro-Grip Gel grips. Maybe they help?!

I just did the rounds of shops...nobody has gel gloves or grips.

Pro-Grip. Who sells them? Website? Brick/mortar?
04-18-2015 02:01 PM
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
RE: VIBRATION - deciding too much; and living with it.
I've had many inlines. Among them, my 2002 YAM FZ1 did not have noticable vibration. It had vibration but it was smooth for the most part, and would just howl til the speedo said 90 mph. Also my 2006 Honda 919 was smooth and would hold 70-75 mph all day long. - Along comes a Honda engineer, says, "Hey the 1300 water cooled motor, (which the 1100 is partially based upon), is too smooth. This CB1100 needs some vibration to give it character." So he offsets the valve timing to make it rumble at low rpms, which at higher rpms becomes somewhat annoying. The engineers all get together in a big meeting room afterwards, having taken some test rides. Someone says, "Soandso-san, with all due respect, this bike vibrate my hands and butt on highway." - "Hey, you," says Soandso-san, "This bike supposed to shake like old one from '69." And so, with offset valve timing, it vibrates. - The first test ride I took, it vibrated my hands and seat on the highway. I was annoyed but enjoying my ride. I was thinking perhaps one could add rubber washers to the engine mounts, but the decision by the engineers was to slow down the ride and enjoy the torque at sub highway speeds, which I, being older, in fact found enjoyable. The new CBR650 is plagued by vibration as well. Were I that vibration seeking engineer, I would have balanced the timing and made it smooth, character be darned. That being said, many people are not annoyed by it or don't notice it on their bikes, so some may be smoother than others. THE answer is, it was timed into the valve train in the motor. - Contrast: My Harley Nightster vibrated my pinky finger asleep. An old 80s twin Yamaha 650 vibrated like crazy when I rode it.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2015 06:25 PM by nhawk7504.)
04-18-2015 02:11 PM
xNE0x Offline
1st Service Completed

MI
Heh. Not quite sure what to make of this thread tbh. Vibration you say? Ever ridden a twin Harley? The vibration factor is nothing compared to other motorcycles.. And by other I mean an NC700X. The NC has more vibration than the CB1100.

Seems like everyone is nit picking on the CB1100 lately. Could be just me though.

2014 Honda CB1100
1974 Honda CB750K w/915 Big Bore Kit
04-18-2015 03:20 PM
Griso Guy Offline
1st Service Completed

Arizona
My 2014 DLX is supremely smooth at just about any rpm. That said I believe it may be a perception issue. What is smooth to me may feel like a ride on a 441 BSA Victor to a mortal man.
I have been riding 45+ years. Many of those years were on large displacement British parallel twins. The absolute definition of vibrators. So maybe I have a high tolerance for annoying vibration. Anyway my other bike is a Moto Guzzi Griso, 1200cc's of twisting force. At idle it shakes like a paint mixer at Home Depot, as the revs build it smooth's out beautifully. Anyway vibration like the OP described is strange, especially the part about "I've run it up and pulled in the clutch; and it all goes away." So it only vibrates under load?
04-18-2015 05:07 PM
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
(04-18-2015 03:20 PM)xNE0x Wrote:  Heh. Not quite sure what to make of this thread tbh. Vibration you say? Ever ridden a twin Harley? The vibration factor is nothing compared to other motorcycles.. And by other I mean an NC700X. The NC has more vibration than the CB1100.

Seems like everyone is nit picking on the CB1100 lately. Could be just me though.

Just to qualify, I wanted to say I liked everything about the CB1100 the first time I rode it. For myself, however, and being picky for sure, with a Dad who is an aeronautical engineer, I simply would have liked a smoother motor. It could have been done. That top end engineer decided not to keep it as smooth as the CB1300 water cooled Japan bike. I understand why. He gave the motor more character. But the five speed does have, for me, annoying vibration on the highway as a result. That same character around town is, for me, annoying at higher speeds. (spoiled by a 96 VFR 750!) Hence the 6 speed, and CB1100 motor "fine tuning" for the DLX and '14 STD. They made it "better". It's not the same first gen CB1100 motor from 2010. Love the bike, but...
04-18-2015 06:36 PM
xNE0x Offline
1st Service Completed

MI
Then I would suggest changing sprockets to alter your gear ratio. If you are a highway speeds rider, go with a 19 tooth sprocket in the front and a lesser tooth sprocket in the rear. The early cb1110's were geared too short, for sport.

2014 Honda CB1100
1974 Honda CB750K w/915 Big Bore Kit
04-18-2015 07:50 PM
Elipten Offline
Road Warrior

San Antonio, TX
VIBRATION - deciding too much; and living with it.
Amazon, or big internet motorcycle store for gel grips. I believe Ferret posted what he uses a long time ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current inventory

2014 CB1100 DLX
1990 BMW K75RT
04-18-2015 08:35 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
(04-18-2015 05:07 PM)Griso Guy Wrote:  I have been riding 45+ years. Many of those years were on large displacement British parallel twins. The absolute definition of vibrators. So maybe I have a high tolerance for annoying vibration.

I'm in this boat. Rode big parallel twins for many years. Parts falling off because of vibration induced metal fatigue was not unusual. More than once I had my throttle wrist go completely numb on a long trip. That said, the vibes from any inline 4 seem relatively minor. Ultimately, I think it depends on what you're accustomed to.

Inline 4s have excellent primary balance, but will always have a secondary imbalance due to the two sets of pistons reversing direction simultaneously. It's more of a high frequency buzz that increases as rpms rise. Some people are more sensitive to this higher frequency than others.

My CB11 has the most buzz in the region of 4K rpm. I think it actually smooths out a bit at 5k (because of the balancer?), since several times I've found myself going down the highway in 4th gear at 5K, having not bothered to shift into 5th. I got some Grab-On slip on foam grip covers last year and it did help a bit with the buzz at highway speed.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
04-18-2015 08:56 PM
Cjsinla Offline
Break-In Period

Los Angeles
Mine seems smooth as silk at all rpm's but my other two bikes are Harleys. I'm surprised to hear people say that an in-line 4 would be prone to buzz or vibration.

To the OP, have you figured out the problem yet?
04-19-2015 07:59 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 mod . . .m in sc — 03:32 AM
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM