Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
VIBRATION - deciding too much; and living with it.
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
RE: VIBRATION - deciding too much; and living with it.
I think we all perceive vibration differently. To some the vibration of a V twin is just a part of the ride but to others, an intolerable annoyance. For me, the slight vibration of an in-line 4 is hardly felt and not a problem.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
04-19-2015 08:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I must say my favorite bikes have always been inline 4 cyl liter bikes. There is some inherent buzz in a big inline but I have never felt it objectionable. Again ride a TX 650 Yamaha and then tell me the Honda vibrates lol. I also confess I use the torque of the engine and not the horsepower, and it's RARE when my bike hits 4000 rpms and I don't think it's been over 5,000 rpms in nearly 20,000 miles counting my 13 and 14. I spend most of my time where Honda says they put the "character" right around 2500-3000 rpms. If I concentrate I can feel a little buzz but most of the time I don't think about it so I don't feel it. Heck on my 6 speed 80 mph still isn't 4000 rpms, and I just don't ride that fast. I'm usually between 55 and 60 mph, unless on the freeway in traffic which is actually quite rare.

As far as grips I use the Progrip 719 Gel Grip but not for buzz isolation although I suppose it helps for that, but because they are softer and grippier than the stock Honda grips.

JPT here is a dyno chart which will give you peak torque and horsepower readings at given rpms

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2015 08:44 AM by The ferret.)
04-19-2015 08:41 AM
xNE0x Offline
1st Service Completed

MI
Keep in mind that honda engineered this bike to mimic sounds, feels, and looks of it's older predecessor. But the vibration is nothing compared to other motorcycles I've ridden over 50 miles on.

2014 Honda CB1100
1974 Honda CB750K w/915 Big Bore Kit
04-19-2015 09:37 AM
JustPassinThru Offline
Running Like a Top

Montana
(04-19-2015 07:59 AM)Cjsinla Wrote:  Mine seems smooth as silk at all rpm's but my other two bikes are Harleys. I'm surprised to hear people say that an in-line 4 would be prone to buzz or vibration.

To the OP, have you figured out the problem yet?

Probably subjective.

I talked to the shop foreman about it yesterday; he looked at it, and said, yep, it's normal (I can see your eyes roll). But if it were WILDLY out of normal range, he'd probably say something - or else ruin the shop reputation.

The mirrors don't fuzz out; which tells me it's high-pitched and not that intensive - otherwise those mirrors on posts would give me a blur.

Out on a country road yesterday I wound it up to over 5000 rpm...the buzz did mitigate at the high speed. So it's not something twisted or bent - it's probably the inherent harmonics.

Holding the bars more lightly makes it easier on my hand.

And...it's important...I like this machine. I guess this is one of those compromises I have to learn to accept.
04-19-2015 09:47 AM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
I have found, for me, a buzz comes on above 55mph, seems worst at 65-70 and smooths out again above that.

Put on 80 miles yesterday and my biggest complaints were wacko drivers, gusty wind (which prompted me to use the rear pegs which caused my left foot to fall asleep). Vibration and buzz, 65-70, was not bad. Probably distracted by the dang wind.

The Griso has no buzz, but it does have the vibes of the big V twin to contend with, and on the highway I find that much more pleasing than the buzz. Over the years it seems to be that higher frequency vibrations are bad, lower frequency vibrations are good (or at least not bad and in many cases, for riders, preferable to no vibration at all - it gives the machine a pulse they can feel and identify with).

I have not spent much time at 85+ but if memory serves, it seemed smoother there. Or maybe I was too scared about wind, cops, road hazzards etc. that I didn't pay any attention to a buzz. Smile

My gut feeling, if the mirrors are still clear it's probably not a real problem for the mechanicals.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
04-19-2015 04:40 PM
JustJohn Offline
1st Service Completed

New Jersey
(04-19-2015 09:47 AM)JustPassinThru Wrote:  
(04-19-2015 07:59 AM)Cjsinla Wrote:  Mine seems smooth as silk at all rpm's but my other two bikes are Harleys. I'm surprised to hear people say that an in-line 4 would be prone to buzz or vibration.

To the OP, have you figured out the problem yet?

Probably subjective.

I talked to the shop foreman about it yesterday; he looked at it, and said, yep, it's normal (I can see your eyes roll). But if it were WILDLY out of normal range, he'd probably say something - or else ruin the shop reputation.

The mirrors don't fuzz out; which tells me it's high-pitched and not that intensive - otherwise those mirrors on posts would give me a blur.

Out on a country road yesterday I wound it up to over 5000 rpm...the buzz did mitigate at the high speed. So it's not something twisted or bent - it's probably the inherent harmonics.

Holding the bars more lightly makes it easier on my hand.

And...it's important...I like this machine. I guess this is one of those compromises I have to learn to accept.

Did you lose the kickstand? A turn signal lens? Headlight bulb? Air cleaner cover? Choke knob? Odometer knob? A mirror start spinning and fly off? Battery cover or strap? Oh wait...your on a Honda...never mind. Your good. ROFL
04-19-2015 04:48 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
That would be "you're good"....... Angel

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
04-19-2015 07:28 PM
Django Offline
Road Warrior

Germany
(04-18-2015 07:50 PM)xNE0x Wrote:  The early cb1110's were geared too short, for sport.
Can you tell more about this topic? I'd be interested in ratio, teeth count and purpose.

73 Django -- [url=http://www.ironbutt.com]IBA[/url] #59882 -- [url=https://djangotours.wordpress.com]Django Tours[/url] -- [url=http://1asw.de/~rsz/bilder/ES-I64/15-34-0832.jpg]Django on CB1100[/url]
This message was signaled with a flashlight into the end of a fiber.
04-20-2015 12:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JustPassinThru Offline
Running Like a Top

Montana
(04-19-2015 04:40 PM)Rboe Wrote:  I have found, for me, a buzz comes on above 55mph, seems worst at 65-70 and smooths out again above that.

Put on 80 miles yesterday and my biggest complaints were wacko drivers, gusty wind (which prompted me to use the rear pegs which caused my left foot to fall asleep). Vibration and buzz, 65-70, was not bad. Probably distracted by the dang wind.

The Griso has no buzz, but it does have the vibes of the big V twin to contend with, and on the highway I find that much more pleasing than the buzz. Over the years it seems to be that higher frequency vibrations are bad, lower frequency vibrations are good (or at least not bad and in many cases, for riders, preferable to no vibration at all - it gives the machine a pulse they can feel and identify with).

I have not spent much time at 85+ but if memory serves, it seemed smoother there. Or maybe I was too scared about wind, cops, road hazzards etc. that I didn't pay any attention to a buzz. Smile

My gut feeling, if the mirrors are still clear it's probably not a real problem for the mechanicals.

That's where I'm at.

At this point...with the machine virgin...live with it. Taking it apart entails more risks than benefits.

Yuppers on the mirrors. Also, correct on the vibration settling down at top-end revs. Which tells me it's harmonic resonance, not an unbalanced part. A car wheel, for examle, doesn't settle down when it's unbalanced when you speed it up. Likewise an out-of-spec flywheel or engine counterweight.

Mirrors are clear and it hasn't shed parts; so we're all good.

Softer grips are in the pipeline.
04-20-2015 03:47 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
(04-20-2015 12:55 AM)Django Wrote:  
(04-18-2015 07:50 PM)xNE0x Wrote:  The early cb1110's were geared too short, for sport.
Can you tell more about this topic? I'd be interested in ratio, teeth count and purpose.

According to the parts listing, the 2013 is 18T in the front and 39T in the rear.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
04-20-2015 04:05 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Yea M but there's two different factors . . .misterprofessionality — 01:14 PM
I'm a bit different, i went in for a 2nd . . .m in sc — 01:01 PM
I am liking the drama of this thread, Mr . . .GoldOxide — 12:50 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on bac . . .GoldOxide — 12:47 PM
Looking back at your offer, that is very . . .Gone in 60 — 11:59 AM
The same bike not even broken in with . . .m in sc — 11:53 AM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
Chilly but sunny day and another 87 mile . . .peterbaron — 11:51 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
:clap:peterbaron — 11:50 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,518
» Latest member: JoshuaER
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,764

Full Statistics

>