Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
August 2013 Motorcyclist Article
Obliviontoad Offline
1st Service Completed

New York
August 2013 Motorcyclist Article
2 page article by Art Friedman, not much negative to say, except the seat...

Otherwise, article pretty much stated what I've been saying all along... The CB is a great bike to ride, not to flog, and get you where you are headed with a permanent grin.

Still comparing it to the Triumph Bonneville. Going to ride over to my friends, he bought a new one. Gonna swap, see what that's all about.
06-20-2013 07:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thumper Offline
Running Like a Top

Bakersfield, CA.
RE: August 2013 Motorcyclist Article
Obliviontoad--I swapped bikes with a friend last Sunday, who owns two Bonnevilles, but is lusting over the CB11.

After you've ridden your friend's Bonnie for a few miles, you'll be anxious to get your Honda back! Big Grin

***ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander***
[size=x-small][color=#000000]The Stable--[/color][color=#0000CD]TEx[/color],[color=#FF0000]CB11A[/color],[color=#32CD32]ZX6R[/color][/size]
06-20-2013 12:34 PM
Joola Offline
Running Like a Top

Los Angeles
(06-20-2013 12:34 PM)thumper Wrote:  After you've ridden your friend's Bonnie for a few miles, you'll be anxious to get your Honda back! Big Grin

I was between a Bonnie and the CB11. I love the look of the Bonnie but when I sat it, I felt absolutely nothing. I knew at that moment, without test riding, it wasn't the bike for me.
06-20-2013 01:04 PM
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
I had walked into a Bonne dealer a few weeks before I saw and bought the CB1100, I thought they were cool and it peaked my interest.....but you gotta love an inline 4!
06-20-2013 01:26 PM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
There are a bunch of members here that have owned both including me. The Bonneville is a cool bike with great style but even after I put on the Triumph "off road only" louder mufflers that added 10 HP it still didn't move or sound that great to me. I loved the way it looked though and it was really light weight. After three years I sold it with 2500 miles on it. Imagine a really good looking vintage Mustang with a 6-cyl engine, that's the Bonneville. The CB11 is that same Mustang with a big block V-8, much more satisfying to drive/ride.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
06-20-2013 02:11 PM
Obliviontoad Offline
1st Service Completed

New York
They keep getting compared in the press. I don't see much to compare. They both have their foibles. I like my real FI system rather than one hidden behind fake plastic carb covers. Love my old CB Twin, that has more in common with the Boneville to me.
06-20-2013 02:33 PM
ArtoftheMotorcycle Offline
New To The Forum

SoCal
The CB1100 and Bonneville are very different motorcycles. The quality of the Honda is generally higher too.

If you remember the Kawasaki W650, which was released about the time the modern Bonneville first arrived, I always thought that it was a better recreation of the classic (pushrod) Bonneville, but the new Bonneville was a better bike to ride.

I was very pleased when Marc Cook of Motorcyclist asked me to do the CB1100 test for them, and I really like the CB1100. It is more refined than the Bonneville and much more refined than the air-cooled Honda fours that it evokes.

Art Friedman
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 09:59 AM by ArtoftheMotorcycle.)
07-08-2013 09:58 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(07-08-2013 09:58 AM)ArtoftheMotorcycle Wrote:  The CB1100 and Bonneville are very different motorcycles. The quality of the Honda is generally higher too.

If you remember the Kawasaki W650, which was released about the time the modern Bonneville first arrived, I always thought that it was a better recreation of the classic (pushrod) Bonneville, but the new Bonneville was a better bike to ride.

I was very pleased when Marc Cook of Motorcyclist asked me to do the CB1100 test for them, and I really like the CB1100. It is more refined than the Bonneville and much more refined than the air-cooled Honda fours that it evokes.

Art Friedman

All three of which are competing for the same customers ... 45-65 years olds with some disposable income.

Another former Bonnie owner here. 2003 Centennial Edition T-100. Nice motorcycle, but nowhere near the equal of the CB 1100.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
07-08-2013 10:06 AM
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
The CB, imo, has a high-performance image the Triumphs do not. Based on the design video Honda published, it was deliberate. The narrow tank, the way the engine overhangs the sides, and the 4/1 exhuast are key elements of that objective.

The Triumph is a "nice" motorcycle. The CB isn't.

Go hagofuku yourself.
07-08-2013 04:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
I'm glad that both the Bonneville and the CB1100 are on the road, although to be honest, I see both bikes being on the "nicer" side of the scale. The Bonneville was a wise choice on Triumph's part as they didn't really have the heritage to go with the company name that they purchased. So they attempted to create it with the current Bonneville and it has paid off for them. The CB1100 is a great tribute to Honda's actual heritage, combining elements of many different models from their past. Both are great examples of modern standards, of which there are still too few to choose from in the new bike market. While the CB1100 would remain my first choice, I'd still love to see Kawasaki release the W800 here in the States to go along with the CB, the Bonneville and Guzzi's V7. I'd also like to see other manufacturers follow Honda's move including Yamaha and Suzuki. Not sure if that will happen anytime soon though.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 12:06 AM by Guth.)
07-09-2013 12:04 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
no kidding....that's just a picture too. . . .misterprofessionality — 07:34 AM
It's fun to read all these comments... . . .peterbaron — 07:18 AM