Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Frequency of chain oiling?
Inline4 Offline
(aka Plungerhead)

Memphis, TN area
RE: Frequency of chain oiling?
See my post on this subject. I'm STILL sold on this product!
http://www.cb1100forum.com/forum/showthr...694&page=3

When in doubt, [i]GAS IT!!!![/i]
05-24-2015 02:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Townie Offline
1st Service Completed

Ontario, Canada
Maybe a silly question, but what is the lube that comes on the chain from the factory? Is this the Pro Honda Chain Lube?

That stuff seems to work quite well.
05-24-2015 08:07 AM
bikerdave Offline
1st Service Completed

SoCal
I red the manual and got every two gas tankfuls. I made that into 300 - 500 mi. I ran into a couple of really "oldheads" riding cross country who used to bake their chains
at a couple of hundred degrees and such. I am very scrupulous on doing chain care. And yes, I will take a chain over a shaft any time. I've done too much long
distance riding. I can limp to the next whatever on a paper clip. When a shaft gets turned you done. I've been using WD-40 to clean and then various chain lube
products. I guess I'll have to try the Motol products now. Amazon you say? Cool. Thanks.
05-27-2015 09:51 AM
Yata-Garasu Offline
1st Service Completed

Dallas Texas USA
I'm surprised so many people here are recommending WD40 as a degreaser. According to Ryan F9 on YouTube, WD40 can dissolve O ring seals.

I've been using Dupont Motorcycle Degreaser with a plastic grunge brush and then I dry it/wipe it clean using fresh rags (old worn out socks! Lol). Once the chain is nice and clean, I hit it with Maxima Chain Wax.

If you let the Chain Wax sit on the chain for a couple hours before riding again, it hardens up nicely and you get very minimal splatter.

I've been oiling it every 1000 miles or so. I didn't realize the MOM recommended 600 miles. I just lubed my chain today with a 1000 miles on it, and other than some minor sludge that came right off, the chain was still nice and juicy.

I was thinking I was supposed to do it every 1000 miles, but I guess I should keep a closer eye on it.

I'm in North Texas so a relatively dry climate.

DuPont Motorcycle Degreaser for https://a.co/d/11PPAV2

DuPont Motorcycle Grunge Brush https://a.co/d/craNCsG

Maxima 74920 Chain Wax - 13.5 oz. Aerosol https://a.co/d/eKa7Sg3
09-25-2023 05:01 PM
peterbaron Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
^^
I also use Grunge brush to clean, Maxima wax my chain right after ride when the chain is still warm and let it sit overnight. Minimal mess, if any.

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 114K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
09-25-2023 05:08 PM
GoldOxide Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Southern Ontario, Canada
Tutoro natural-fed (gravity + up/down motion) auto-chain lubricator and unused synthetic 5W40 engine oil.

Round trip to the 2023 East Coast CB1100 Rally of just under 3000 kms consumed maybe 50 mL of oil and the chain was beautifully preserved and self-cleaned (perfectly juicy, not too much, not too little).

If I feel weak, I will sometimes clean the chain quickly with a generous dose of WD40 and wipe off. Never experienced disintegrating o-rings.

O-ring will definitely disappear with a mucky or un-lubed chain, and perhaps by an aggressive use of a scrubbing brush. I never scrub my chains (they don't need it since they are self-cleaning).

I used to use chain wax regularly. Seems a very long time ago now. I think my last bit of spray can chain wax will get my hedge trimmer through perhaps one more cutting season.

So in short:

Recurring chain lube cost comes down to a liter of synthetic 5W40 engine oil every 10 years or so, perhaps 60 cents a year or less and no labour effort. Just fill 'n' ride.

>>> Spring is an extension to the riding season. ¯\(ツ)/¯ <<<
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2023 06:33 PM by GoldOxide.)
09-25-2023 06:21 PM
The Gecko Offline
Running Like a Top

Huntsville, AL
Are Honda chains (or others) self cleaning? where is this written, by whom?
Can one see/inspect o-rings for wear ?
Is the cost of a new chain (or whether it lasts 10k or 15k miles worth a lot of concern ?
Is there a risk of a fatal accident if a chain isn’t frequently greased?

I tend to say, oil it now and then, check tension (mine hasn’t changed in over 10k mikes), and ... ride.

The only girl on this forum. Any newcomer (f) with a m/c - PM me.
09-25-2023 08:40 PM
Yata-Garasu Offline
1st Service Completed

Dallas Texas USA
(09-25-2023 08:40 PM)The Gecko Wrote:  Are Honda chains (or others) self cleaning? where is this written, by whom?
Is the cost of a new chain (or whether it lasts 10k or 15k miles worth a lot of concern ?

I tend to say, oil it now and then, check tension (mine hasn’t changed in over 10k mikes), and ... ride.

Honda chains are not self cleaning. The O rings hold grease inside the chain. You can’t really see them when the chain's on the bike, but if the O rings crack and leak, eventually the chain can seize up, which could potentially cause the rear tire to lock up. Depending on when and where that happens, yes, it could potentially be fatal.

Edit... https://youtu.be/UrEpAUi_QKA?si=TMfUBxfN4sA8_Fce

(09-25-2023 06:21 PM)GoldOxide Wrote:  Tutoro natural-fed (gravity + up/down motion) auto-chain lubricator and unused synthetic 5W40 engine oil.

Round trip to the 2023 East Coast CB1100 Rally of just under 3000 kms consumed maybe 50 mL of oil and the chain was beautifully preserved and self-cleaned (perfectly juicy, not too much, not too little).

If I feel weak, I will sometimes clean the chain quickly with a generous dose of WD40 and wipe off. Never experienced disintegrating o-rings.

O-ring will definitely disappear with a mucky or un-lubed chain, and perhaps by an aggressive use of a scrubbing brush. I never scrub my chains (they don't need it since they are self-cleaning).

I used to use chain wax regularly. Seems a very long time ago now. I think my last bit of spray can chain wax will get my hedge trimmer through perhaps one more cutting season.

So in short:

Recurring chain lube cost comes down to a liter of synthetic 5W40 engine oil every 10 years or so, perhaps 60 cents a year or less and no labour effort. Just fill 'n' ride.

Thanks for that! Found a cool YouTube of a Tutoro install...

https://youtu.be/PwNg-1qI-Bo?si=16KbrWxtu_1Md73E
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2023 11:22 PM by Yata-Garasu.)
09-25-2023 11:10 PM
GoldOxide Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Southern Ontario, Canada
(09-25-2023 08:40 PM)The Gecko Wrote:  Are Honda chains (or others) self cleaning? where is this written, by whom?

Self-cleaning is not a property of the chain manufacturer.

It is an action of debris "flinging" off a well-lubricated chain as it spins. For the on-road going CB1100 it is less of a desire compared to those who ride off-road or on gravel roads.

Healthy chain o-rings contain grease in each chain link for lubrication. However, if the o-ring seal is compromised by any tearing or wearing action, that link will eventually fail as the link grease can no longer be contained.

>>> Spring is an extension to the riding season. ¯\(ツ)/¯ <<<
09-26-2023 04:27 AM
Dave Offline
High Mileage

San Diego, ca
[quote='mjezek' pid='88427' dateline='1431116432']
since it almost never rains in california, I lube my chain with WD40 whenever i clean my wheels .... every 1K or so ....

WD40 is not a good chain lubricant.
09-26-2023 08:36 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Broken indicator lens
I’ve lost several of the earlier large . . .PowerDubs — 05:16 PM
Tire Options for our CB1100
Great looking bike! Love those gold w . . .mvk24 — 03:25 PM