Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brown leather jackets... where for art thou?
JPX Offline
1st Service Completed

Huntsville, AL
Brown leather jackets... where for art thou?
Who knew it would be so hard to find a decent brown leather jacket? There are scores of black ones available on the market, but I'm trying to avoid the completely blacked out look since I also have a black CB1100.

I've searched virtually every website out there (Vanson, Fox Creek, River Road, Revzilla, Dennis Kirk, etc) and the only ones that have peaked my interest are the Roland Sands Barfly, Ronin, and Enzo (seen below in that order from left to right). They're pretty pricey at $500+ and I've read some reviews stating that the stitching is starting to unravel on some after a little less than a year, they're single stitched in some critical impact zones, and a seam busted open on someone's get-off.

So I did some more searching tonight and came across a company called Xelement on Leatherup. The prices for their leather jackets are really low ($150-$200) so I figure they are not very good quality but surprisingly the Amazon reviews on them are actually quite good. One review mentioned a crash at 70MPH and the jacket holding up without any issues. In particular, I was looking at one for $150 in a dark brown that has a cafe racer kinda vibe going on. Worst case scenario is I send it back if it's not up to snuff.

Xelement Speedster

You're probably thinking that this is the end of my search. Well, you would be wrong. Big Grin

As I'm about to checkout on Amazon, a tiny thumbnail of a jacket in the "similar items to what you're looking for" results list catches my eye. So I click the link and what do you know? A reasonably priced brown cafe jacket with decent specs, good reviews, a vintage look to it, and only 1 Large size left in stock to boot. I'll post a review of it when it gets here in a few days. I can't wait. Thumbs Up

Leather Supreme Buffalo Cafe Racer Jacket

* Made from Top Grain Soft Heavy Duty 1.3MM buffalo hide Leather
* Retro brown color with matching detail across chest and back
* Features a z/o liner plus inner mesh liner throughout
* Includes 2 deep zippered pockets on the front chest area
* Two zippered vertical air-vents on the back
* One zippered air-vent on each sleeve
* Two zippered side pockets outside & two inside zippered pockets
* Zippered sides for snug fit
* Zippered Cuffs with snap buttons
* Classic double shoulder design for more movement
* Leather pull tabs on all zippers
* YKK zippers

[u][b]
[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5173]2014 CB1100[/url][/b][/u]

[list]
[*]Road Comet 1, K&H High Seat 'B' Ver 2, Moriwaki Exhaust, Ceramic Header, Kijima Grab Bar
[*]Vizitec Supabrake 2, Side Cover Emblem Mod, O2 Sensor Eliminator, Knurled Oil Cap, RLETs
[/list]
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2015 09:47 PM by JPX.)
05-11-2015 09:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Brown leather jackets... where for art thou?
I have owned several products from Leather Up, including a couple of jackets. Worst problem is sizing with them but they are good on returns. My jackets for the most part have held up well. I think I had to repair a snap on one and maybe a loose thread on another, but they are like most things these days "imported".

On the other hand I had to send my first Fox Valley jacket back for an issue which they sent me a new jacket for right away. The Fox Valley is a much nicer leather material but it cost 4x as much as the Leather Up jacket

Motorcyclegear.com is another company I have on speed dial. A quick search for brown lather jackets turned up this

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/sea...her+jacket

I think MG has a Roland Sands and did a report on it for this forum here.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....land+Sands

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
05-12-2015 03:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
I almost went for this Dainese one..although decided against it when I realized most my gear was already black, so then figured in the cost of brown gloves, boots, etc.
And its a real motorcycle jacket with real protection.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/daine...her-jacket
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015 04:18 AM by HikerToo.)
05-12-2015 04:17 AM
JF Coastal Offline
Running Like a Top

savannah, ga
JPX, I went through this exact same thought process and debate for quite some time. I was lucky enough to even try on a Roland sands jackets, but the cut just didn't feel right for $500 +. I got frustrated to the point, that I ended up buying a black jacket. Maybe one day I'll find that perfect brown leather jacket.

Please post some good pictures and reviews when you receive yours. I hope it's exactly what you are looking for. It looks Good !

2014 CB 1100
2000 Nighthawk 750 "SOLD"
05-12-2015 04:18 AM
JPX Offline
1st Service Completed

Huntsville, AL
Thanks for the links Ferret. That IMS 1909 jacket looks pretty cool. I had seen the other one but didn't care for the vertical striping; however, the IMS version is fairly toned down. Both are black unfortunately though.

Hiker, yeah I looked at Dainese as well. They have a few jackets with vintage styling that I liked, but they are running in the $600-700 range.

http://www.dainese.com/us_en/g-mike-pelle-74432.html
http://www.dainese.com/us_en/g-stripes-e...18841.html
http://www.dainese.com/us_en/g-stripes-e...18840.html

I hope so too JF. I'm almost positive that the one that I have coming is a keeper, but it's hard to tell the quality of something based solely on pictures.

[u][b]
[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5173]2014 CB1100[/url][/b][/u]

[list]
[*]Road Comet 1, K&H High Seat 'B' Ver 2, Moriwaki Exhaust, Ceramic Header, Kijima Grab Bar
[*]Vizitec Supabrake 2, Side Cover Emblem Mod, O2 Sensor Eliminator, Knurled Oil Cap, RLETs
[/list]
05-12-2015 06:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
metallyguitarded Offline
Road Warrior

United States
(05-12-2015 03:46 AM)The ferret Wrote:  I think MG has a Roland Sands and did a report on it for this forum here.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....land+Sands

I do have the Roland Sands Ronin jacket in tobacco brown and it is my go to jacket. I'm very happy with it. But, you're right, it was pricey. I bought mine new on eBay for $580 while others had it for sale at $620. So far, knock on wood, no signs of seam wear or any other wear. Another jacket I was looking at was the Speed and Strength Jesse Rooke design: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed...her-jacket

In the end, the Ronin appealed to me more. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

"People are more violently opposed to fur than to leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs." - A. Sayle
05-12-2015 07:48 AM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Sorry about that I typed Mens Brown Leather Jacket in their search engine and that's what popped up so I assumed they were brown.

Heres a couple used vintage jackets at a good price, quite a few brown

http://www.vintagetrends.com/vintage/thu...cycle/cafe

Defender of the Realm
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015 08:35 AM by The ferret.)
05-12-2015 08:33 AM
12milesout Offline
1st Service Completed

Rhode Island
I'm in the same boat. I was going to order the Joe Rocket classic '92 in brown, but held off b/c i was headed up to the Vanson open-house a couple weeks ago. I struck out at Vanson, and now the JR jacket is sold out everywhere. I was thinking about either Hillside Leather or Fox Creek, but the styles just don't quite do it for me. I think I've narrowed it down to either the British Motorcycle Gear Montana, or the Scorpion 1909. Neither are a true brown, but a bit different then the rest of the black jackets out there. I'm headed to Lake George in a few weeks, so I'm torn as to weather i should order something now, or wait to see what's up there.
05-12-2015 09:37 AM
12milesout Offline
1st Service Completed

Rhode Island
I bit the bullet today and ordered from Fox Creek. The Scorpion 1099 and BMG Montana were on the short list, but I found a Grayson in brown on Fox Creek's clearance page. It doesn't come with armor, but does have the armor pockets. It should be here in a few days; I'll give a full report later this week.
05-18-2015 05:10 PM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Love my Fox Creek leather

Defender of the Realm
05-18-2015 05:47 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition