Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Self-Canceling Turn Signals
Jwayne Offline
1st Service Completed

RE: Self-Canceling Turn Signals
(06-24-2013 09:48 AM)The ferret Wrote:  I punch the cancel button after every turn whether Ive used the signal or not.

Me too!
06-25-2013 05:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MotoMichael Offline
Break-In Period

Shreveport, LA USA
I think that is just Honda doing their homework as part of the whole retro thing ! We did not have them ( self canceling) back when. LOL

[font=Courier][color=#FF0000][/color][/font]13 CB11
02 Gold Wing 1800 Illusion Blue
2000 MV Agusta F4 750
2015 Suzuki GSX S 750
07-01-2013 06:58 PM
thumper Offline
Running Like a Top

Bakersfield, CA.
(06-24-2013 02:35 PM)CBMike Wrote:  Once you get used to canceling it yourself you won't even have to think about it anymore and will just do it automatically.

+1. None of the bikes currently in my stable have self-canceling signals, so all of them currently function the same way. Pushing the button after a turn is automatic for me.

Now, I will admit that every now and then I search for a clutch and foot shifter on my VFR1200F DCT. Big Grin

***ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander***
[size=x-small][color=#000000]The Stable--[/color][color=#0000CD]TEx[/color],[color=#FF0000]CB11A[/color],[color=#32CD32]ZX6R[/color][/size]
07-01-2013 08:30 PM
Flynbulldog Offline
1st Service Completed

Larkspur, CO
I've never owned a bike with self-canceling signals so I don't want or need them.

I guess I'm just used to pushing the button - I guess they are self cancelling... I cancel them my self. Confused Big Grin
07-02-2013 10:00 PM
meowguy Offline
Running Like a Top

Saco, ME USA
The device mentioned above does not seem to me to be very user friendly.

If you would put your head in a helmet it wouldn't be empty.
07-03-2013 07:53 AM
Joola Offline
Running Like a Top

Los Angeles
The more time I spend on this bike, the less I forget to cancel the turn signals. As suggested, it's just a matter of getting used to it.

[size=x-small]719 Gel Grips, Tandem Grip, Chrome Chain Guard and Meter Covers, K&H Hi Seat, Lucas Taillight, ViziTec Modulator, Painted Headlight Bucket[/size]
07-03-2013 08:32 AM
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
You need to use your odometer. Reset it to "0" when you turn the signal on. When the odometer gets to "1," that's your indication that you need to turn the signal off.

Go hagofuku yourself.
07-03-2013 11:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rolls Offline
High Mileage

Belmont, CA
+1.
(07-03-2013 08:32 AM)Joola Wrote:  The more time I spend on this bike, the less I forget to cancel the turn signals. As suggested, it's just a matter of getting used to it.
07-03-2013 10:19 PM
Deanohh Offline
Running Like a Top

Redmond, Wa
(07-03-2013 11:12 AM)The Spaceman Wrote:  You need to use your odometer. Reset it to "0" when you turn the signal on. When the odometer gets to "1," that's your indication that you need to turn the signal off.

careful, I was scolded harshly by the OP in post #3 for replying to this thread in a frivolous way.

2011 Triumph Street Triple R
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 06:53 AM by Deanohh.)
07-04-2013 06:31 AM
V452CB1100
Unregistered

(07-04-2013 06:31 AM)Deanohh Wrote:  
(07-03-2013 11:12 AM)The Spaceman Wrote:  You need to use your odometer. Reset it to "0" when you turn the signal on. When the odometer gets to "1," that's your indication that you need to turn the signal off.

careful, I was scolded harshly by the OP in post #3 for replying to this thread in a frivolous way.
Well, it is nice to see there are a few crusty old farts here who actually think that everything doesn't need to be done for us automatically. Here again I've been doing this for thirty years and have had the older BMW and recent Harley setups, which are horrible. Having to use your right thumb whilst maintaining throttle position is just plain awkward and can be dangerous. Yeah, I got used to it but it was a case of "we can do it differently than the Japanese". BMW has finally got around to the same system as the Japanese bikes, not sure about Harley but I don't plan on getting another one at any rate.

Do any of our cars have self-cancelling signals? None of mine do, just a noisemaker but between the loud music and whatnot that doesn't do much good. In the first year I rode I very quickly learned to do a left-hand sweep of the thumb every 30 seconds where I press in the turn signal control to cancel it and verify the high beam is on (if during the day). I unconsciously do this all the time I am riding, every 20-30 seconds. That ensures the signal is off and the brightest light is on during daylight hours which just might keep me from getting hit. You can train yourself to do this just like you should train yourself to scan the road, the instruments, and everything else one has to do to ride a motorcycle well.

These days, cars are now being made to compensate for drivers who can't maintain lane discipline, drive whilst falling asleep, or can't seem to even watch the road or maintain a safe following distance. Honda's got a commercial out showing how their new safety system will notice if you are drifting out of your lane or following too close, or about to smash into something. There is even a camera that watches your eyes and if it fails to sense alertness, it will sound an alarm to wake you up. These systems use stereoscopic cameras and other sensors and will automatically put on the brakes or even correct steering input. Many cars these days have electric power steering and I can tell you that the brain to this system will take control or not respond to input if it thinks you are doing something stupid.

Cars these days are being built for unskilled, careless, distracted drivers who are preoccupied with texting or other such nonsense. The idea of actually paying attention to the road seems to have been superseded by the idea of building a car that is smarter than the driver.

A lot of motorcycles have ABS and traction control, many with a variety of ignition curve/fuel injection maps to select from several different engine styles. All this stuff does is give riders a false sense of security unless they really know its limitations. ABS does not help at all in a turn, for example, and an ABS-equipped bike will take longer to stop under most conditions than an expert rider can stop without it (My CB1100 does not have ABS).

A motorcycle is one of the few things left where a man or women still has to learn to think. That's the nature of the game; no airbags or computers to rescue you. Just learn to turn off the signal, it will become second nature after a while.
07-04-2013 07:32 AM
Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM