Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
For those of you wanting to defeat the speed limiter...
Wisedrum Offline
High Mileage

Germany
RE: For those of you wanting to defeat the speed limiter...
(02-22-2018 04:32 PM)The ferret Wrote:  I think young men, motorcycles, and speeding sort of go hand in hand.....to see how fast the vehicle he is driving will go?

Not only young riders will have anecdotes to tell from the past. May they be 'funny' in the way, everything is well that ends well, or not.

Here are two:

I once came into a little village with my Kawa LTD Twin 750 and did not slow down that much, when a policeman jumped out on the street and stopped me. He told me, he could not find out how fast I was, because he hadn't finished installing his mobile radar system. But I should drive more adaquate further on. So far, so good.

Years later being on the Autobahn with a Guzzi California I accelerated more and more neglecting speed signs always going down, a bad mistake, but the Guzzi ran somehow good, which it didn't on other rides. Suddendly a black car passed by, stopped me and 2 policemen in civil showed me a video sequence, I'm not longing to see. The end of that story was a resting period without my driving license.

Sometimes one needs such a break for reflection....

The holes in the net in Germany has over the years become smaller and smaller, years have gone by with a lot of lessons learned, of course not all of them, and I'm paying much more attention to traffic signs as I did in times, when everything seems to flow by itself without any restrictions and punishment....

Nevertheless motorbikes always have an inherent temptation of finding out how fast they will go or accelerate, which sometimes means the same. My bikes are differnt in topspeed but they all offer the possibilty to often break the rules in a lot of situations. I keep myself back these days. The one who is without a sin throw the first stone....or set himself apart.

Wisedrum
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2018 12:36 AM by Wisedrum.)
02-23-2018 12:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jvanvuren Offline
Break-In Period

Wisconsin
I too have slowed down over the years, having done my time on some fairly fast bikes (V65 Magna, Vmax, Triumph Speed Triple, etc) and knowing exactly how fast they would go. I do still enjoy quick acceleration every now and then but don't care too much about top speed. I'm actually a bit disappointed in the CB1100 in 1st and 2nd gear as it seems a bit "flat" at higher rpms, I think I read something about the ECU intentionally pulling power (ignition timing?) under such conditions. Off to research the Guhl thread I suppose Smile
02-23-2018 03:46 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Jvanvuren, the CB has a rev limiter, but I don’t know that I’ve ever made its acquaintance.. someone’ll tell you about it.
02-23-2018 09:35 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
I got my last speeding ticket in '92 on a Kawasaki 750 twin. I still exceed the limit occasionally, but I've got a system now. I only speed if there's someone going even faster ahead of me. It's worked pretty well for 26 years (knock wood).

I started riding in the days of the 55 mph national speed limit. Nowadays, Interstate speed limits are 75-80 mph, so I never feel the need to speed on the slab. Twisty back roads are another matter.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
02-23-2018 09:52 PM
Jvanvuren Offline
Break-In Period

Wisconsin
I'm not anywhere near the rev limiter... just seems like the power tapers off quicker than it should as the tach climbs. My bike is completely stock (a '13, single exhaust, etc) and I'm at 6000+ altitude. On old carbureted vehicles we can get away with a bit more ignition timing here at high altitude compared to sea level, so maybe my bike would like some timing advance (or maybe the right way to say it is "removal of timing retard")
02-23-2018 10:07 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
The dyno charts I've seen for stock bikes generally show the power begin to taper off at around 7300 rpm. That's a result of the tuning (i.e. cams and intake). Honda was going for low end power and linear delivery on this engine (which suits me fine). The price paid for that is that there is no top end punch that you'd commonly find on an inline 4 tuned for peak hp.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
02-23-2018 10:22 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
It's fun to read all these comments... . . .peterbaron — 07:18 AM