Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My 1st "what year is that" and Ohlins test
Ack-CB11 Offline
High Mileage

Nantucket
My 1st "what year is that" and Ohlins test
Took an afternoon spin today, I was behind a couple cars for a mile or so when a newer 1200 Sportster w/straight pipes caught me. A long, tightly curved 30 and 35 mph road. The 2 cars pulled off at the same road and we are off to the races. He roared off first, until then I didn’t know if he wanted to go or not. I was on him like glue, sticking my wheel up next to him on the few short straights. He was really on it too through the corners, using both lanes to stay on the road. It was funny to watch following. We could hit 90 or so, on the straight he was about 65 through the turns. We slowed up for a second and I took off, all turns for a mile and a half until a stop sign at the next village. I was having too much fun to think clearly and lost him. Hardest I pushed it yet, those hard skinny tires make me nervous to say the least. The new shocks worked great it was planted and in control through it all, some turns are a little dippy. I was running the turns about 75+ and lost him in the mirrors after the first few.
I slowed with the stop coming and he caught up. At the stop sign he shuts his bike off and says “I had one just like that, is it an early 80’s one?” I said, no its brand new 1100 fuel injected. “Oh, thank God” he said “my old one never went like that” He liked the bike but said it was way to quiet.
This was the most fun I’ve had on the bike to date, bike handled well as did the shocks. I was able to push it enough to use the whole chicken strips on the back tire. It was a blast……SmileBig GrinSmileBig GrinAngel
Not much on Nantucket as far as tar goes, here's the road. I only have about 50 sq miles to ride.
http://maps.google.com/maps?bav=on.2,or....CDMQ8gEwAA

Nantucket Dirt Rider:
2006 BMW HP2 #206
2008 Service Honda CR500AF
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2013 02:26 PM by Ack-CB11.)
06-26-2013 02:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
RE: My 1st "what year is that" and Ohlins test
(06-26-2013 02:13 PM)Ack-CB11 Wrote:  He liked the bike but said it was way to quiet.

Gentlemen,

Yesterday I took my son's girlfriend for a ride and when she got off she said, "My hair dryer is louder than this thing!" I hope my Staintune shows up pretty soon.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
06-26-2013 02:29 PM
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
Nantucket...?? Do you and your CB live on the island? Aren't mopeds king there:-)
06-26-2013 04:22 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Geezalou, doesn't look like a lot of curvy roads to choose from there. I think if you managed to lose the cops, they'd just wait for you to come around on the next lap.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
06-26-2013 04:32 PM
Ack-CB11 Offline
High Mileage

Nantucket
(06-26-2013 04:32 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Geezalou, doesn't look like a lot of curvy roads to choose from there. I think if you managed to lose the cops, they'd just wait for you to come around on the next lap.

Funny you say that, I moved out here in 2001 with an 00 GSXR600 I used to race at Loudon, 92 hp with a loud pipe. I would do one 15 mile loop around the island as fast as I could, every night after work at 5, then straight to a shed I parked in behind the house. I could have really spanked that Harley if I still had that bike. I have to watch myself, those days are long behind me now. I had a 6 way by-pass done 3 years ago, the doc says to calm things down some so I got the CB. Doctors orders...........Big Grin

Nantucket Dirt Rider:
2006 BMW HP2 #206
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2013 04:53 AM by Ack-CB11.)
06-26-2013 10:30 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Btw you have nothing to fear about those tires, they are bigger/better/ grippier tires than Freddie Spencer, Wes Cooley, etc in the modern era and certainly Phil Read, Geoff Duke, Jim Redman, Giacomo Agostini, etc used to race on at speeds much higher than we will run, not to mention board track racers.They will also turn in quicker than those fat bologna tires on modern sport bikes.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
06-27-2013 04:55 AM
Ack-CB11 Offline
High Mileage

Nantucket
I was sliding the rear on exits with the front pushing on entry just after the turn in point. Better fork valving and springs will help the front a little. I think the rear was mostly the tire though, the 600 would do the same thing on the slicks I was running over here Smile it just took more speed. Sliding the rear around a corner always puts a huge grin on. To far is a little different story though.....
I don't think she had alot left with this set-up, which is fine I know it's a retro.
PS: Love those 2 stroke GP bikes

Nantucket Dirt Rider:
2006 BMW HP2 #206
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2013 06:21 AM by Ack-CB11.)
06-27-2013 05:45 AM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
Ack,

A 6 way bypass, 90 mph racing a a Sportster on island roads, and sliding the rear tire in 75 mph turns. Gotta love that.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
06-27-2013 09:51 AM
Ack-CB11 Offline
High Mileage

Nantucket
This place is so boring, that most likley is my fun for the summer. This place is dangerous as well, between people driving crazy "like me" and the deer your constantly on guard. That 600 I had over here was totaled when someone pulled out without looking, I t-boned the the front wheel @ 45. The paramedics woke me up about 30ft on the other side of the car, laying in traffic. That was the end of the 600. I was on a stretcher in the ER when a state trooper came in and threw a ticket on my chest for speeding? As far as deer go in the 900 miles I've had 3 deer jump from the woods right out next to the road and just stopped. Nothing bothers them, sometimes 6 to 8 will be eating grass right next to the road. In my car I beep and slow down to spook them but nothing. They just look up and keep chewing. 40 deer per sq mile they estimate. Some years we have 2 hunting seasons out here.

Nantucket Dirt Rider:
2006 BMW HP2 #206
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 05:14 AM by Ack-CB11.)
06-27-2013 10:29 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,753

Full Statistics

>