Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
No 2015
JustPassinThru Offline
Running Like a Top

Montana
RE: No 2015
(06-22-2015 10:35 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Conversely if my father were still alive and shopping for a new bike right now, I'm pretty sure I would find him at the Indian dealer sitting on a new Scout making vroom vroom noises. His first bike was an Indian Scout and I'm pretty sure on that appeal alone, he would be a buyer.

3 generations with 3 ideas of what a motorcycle should look like, how they should sound and how they should perform.

Wonder what kind of motorcycles grandsons Riley (2) and Tanner (4 months) will be into. probably make fun of their dads "retro" FJ-09 lol

Oh, wow. This nails it.

Now I've been down on H-D motocycles; and I've caught the flack for it. One poster here even, very gentlemanly, offered to meet up with me and let me ride his (while he evaluated my vibration problem on the CB).

I don't think I'm out of line with my opinions, or I wouldn't hold them. But the bottom line, for me, is that I have no history with H-D or cruiser cycles. My old man didn't ride. None of his friends did. Non of MY friends' fathers did. There were no Harley-Davidsons, or ANY motorcycles, in my neighborhood or my childhood.

I came to it in my twenties. A long story; but it involved a small town on Lake Erie; a wonderful summer, and a Yamaha R5C for sale for $200.

And I was hooked. The UJM was THE way to go.

Had it been different; had I been brought in with the H-D crowd

(which would have been hard; H-D guys were hiding, with their shameful secret love for what was then, early 1980s, a reeling company with an obsolete product which was likely to fail)

...had I started there, I doubtless would have entirely different tastes. I'd maybe see a CB; test-ride it...think, NICE...and go back on my Electra-Glide, to wherever Harley riders go.

It's impossible to separate tastes and early experiences and potty-training days and all that...
06-22-2015 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghis Offline
1st Service Completed

Brighton, Colorado
(06-22-2015 12:11 PM)JustPassinThru Wrote:  
(06-22-2015 10:35 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Conversely if my father were still alive and shopping for a new bike right now, I'm pretty sure I would find him at the Indian dealer sitting on a new Scout making vroom vroom noises. His first bike was an Indian Scout and I'm pretty sure on that appeal alone, he would be a buyer.

3 generations with 3 ideas of what a motorcycle should look like, how they should sound and how they should perform.

Wonder what kind of motorcycles grandsons Riley (2) and Tanner (4 months) will be into. probably make fun of their dads "retro" FJ-09 lol

Oh, wow. This nails it.

Now I've been down on H-D motocycles; and I've caught the flack for it. One poster here even, very gentlemanly, offered to meet up with me and let me ride his (while he evaluated my vibration problem on the CB).

I don't think I'm out of line with my opinions, or I wouldn't hold them. But the bottom line, for me, is that I have no history with H-D or cruiser cycles. My old man didn't ride. None of his friends did. Non of MY friends' fathers did. There were no Harley-Davidsons, or ANY motorcycles, in my neighborhood or my childhood.

I came to it in my twenties. A long story; but it involved a small town on Lake Erie; a wonderful summer, and a Yamaha R5C for sale for $200.

(which would have been hard; H-D guys were hiding, with their shameful secret love for what was then, early 1980s, a reeling company with an obsolete product which was likely to fail)

...had I started there, I doubtless would have entirely different tastes. I'd maybe see a CB; test-ride it...think, NICE...and go back on my Electra-Glide, to wherever Harley riders go.

It's impossible to separate tastes and early experiences and potty-training days and all that...

Wow. Well said, and spot on!

Meter covers/battery pig tail/riser extensions/rear rack/custom top box/CBLGND plate/RLETs.

[b]Now[/b]: '13 Triumph Scrambler & '13 Honda CB1100.
[b]Then[/b]: '85 Vulcan 700/'95 Vulcan 750/'97 Marauder 800/'08 Sportster 883/'12 Dyna Wide Glide/'14 Sportster Seventy Two 1200.
06-22-2015 02:17 PM
DJS Offline
Running Like a Top

Long Island NY
(06-22-2015 12:11 PM)JustPassinThru Wrote:  Oh, wow. This nails it.

both my dad and uncle rode back in the day.
above is my dad (left) back in college.

and this is my uncle.

a very close friend of the family was big into riding and harley.
he sold biker t-shirts and buckles a long time ago and more recently manufactured and sold leather jackets and other motorcycle stuff. (my dad ran the store and i worked there in college)

those 3 were my influences. harley was a big one.
had shirts and patches and lots of harley posters on my walls.

started riding after i got married.
i ride a sportster because its a sportster . not because its a harley.
i will most likely never own another harley.
i always liked the UJM look and that is what i wanted to ride, but there was never anything new that grabbed me until the cb1100 came around.
before that there wasn't even many options besides used other than triumphs and the 2000-1 kawasaki w650.

2014 CB1100 DLX
06-23-2015 06:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
veech Offline
Running Like a Top

Chicago Area
Awesome pics. Thumbs Up
06-23-2015 07:40 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts