Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Installing New Grips
Joola Offline
Running Like a Top

Los Angeles
Installing New Grips
I just received the Pro Grip 719 open end gel grips I ordered but I've never switched out grips myself before. Anyone whose done this with their CB have any pointers? Do I need to cut off the old grips or can I pry them off? Do I need to buy glue for the new grips (they didn't come with any)?

Any advice is appreciated!

[size=x-small]719 Gel Grips, Tandem Grip, Chrome Chain Guard and Meter Covers, K&H Hi Seat, Lucas Taillight, ViziTec Modulator, Painted Headlight Bucket[/size]
06-28-2013 07:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynaguy Offline
Break-In Period

Marietta, GA
RE: Installing New Grips
I can't address the CB1100, but I've replaced grips on a number of my bikes. They vary in what is required as you might expect. An air compressor helps a ton. On open grips like the Honda has, simply put your needle valve in you air compressor hose, slightly insert it under the end of the grip while encircling the end of the grip closest to the controls and when a little air is applied, the old girp can be simply slipped or "walked" off. The new grip can be attached pretty much the same way. Most new grips I have used are so tacky that glue is not needed. If your throttle grip is glued on, prepare for a long day.
06-28-2013 08:31 AM
furious_blue Offline
Running Like a Top

On past bikes I didn't bother trying to 'be nice' to the old grips. I just slit the old grips open with a knife and peeled them off. Be careful cutting on the throttle side for obvious reasons. Done in a minute of less glued on or not. No preparation, no air. If the old grips were glued on add to that a few minutes using a solvent/scraper to get the old glue off of the bars.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 08:56 AM by furious_blue.)
06-28-2013 08:47 AM
Flynbulldog Offline
1st Service Completed

Larkspur, CO
I've done this dozens of times.

Slip a long slim dull or rounded screwdriver under the grip all the way in. Use the straw on a can of wd 40 and insert it next to the screwdriver and spray.
Remove the screwdriver and twist - the grip will slide right off.

Clean the inside thoroughly for re-installation.

To install use no glue. Liberally spray Windex inside the grip (the alcohol dries quickly and the soap aids installation and when dry acts as a glue) and slide the grip in place, let it dry over night.

I never ever use glue to install grips.
06-28-2013 08:54 AM
oldyaler Offline
1st Service Completed

Monroe,NC
(06-28-2013 08:31 AM)Dynaguy Wrote:  I can't address the CB1100, but I've replaced grips on a number of my bikes. They vary in what is required as you might expect. An air compressor helps a ton. On open grips like the Honda has, simply put your needle valve in you air compressor hose, slightly insert it under the end of the grip while encircling the end of the grip closest to the controls and when a little air is applied, the old girp can be simply slipped or "walked" off. The new grip can be attached pretty much the same way. Most new grips I have used are so tacky that glue is not needed. If your throttle grip is glued on, prepare for a long day.
+1. Warm soapy water or an aerosol hair spray will make it easier to install the grips. Makes 'em slippery enough to slide right on, just make sure they're aligned fairly quickly, especially with the hair spray.
06-28-2013 08:55 AM
furious_blue Offline
Running Like a Top

(06-28-2013 08:54 AM)Flynbulldog Wrote:  I've done this dozens of times.

Slip a long slim dull or rounded screwdriver under the grip all the way in. Use the straw on a can of wd 40 and insert it next to the screwdriver and spray.
Remove the screwdriver and twist - the grip will slide right off.

I'll have to try it this way next time !
06-28-2013 08:57 AM
CBMike Offline
Break-In Period

WA
Just helped my buddy do grip swap on his thruxton. Since we didn't have a air compressor, which makes grip changes the easiest thing ever, we used WD40 to get the old ones off and hairspray when putting them on as others have said above. Works every time.
06-28-2013 09:10 AM
dBuster Offline
Running Like a Top

La Crosse, WI
+1 on the WD40 and hair spray. Just don't let the wife/girlfriend/significant other know you took her hair spray. Smile
06-28-2013 10:21 AM
Joola Offline
Running Like a Top

Los Angeles
All excellent tips. Thanks guys. I'll be swapping my grips and mirrors out tonight in prep for a nice weekend of riding.

[size=x-small]719 Gel Grips, Tandem Grip, Chrome Chain Guard and Meter Covers, K&H Hi Seat, Lucas Taillight, ViziTec Modulator, Painted Headlight Bucket[/size]
06-28-2013 11:23 AM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Late to the party but I use the air compressor to blow off the old grips and blow on the new grips.

I assume you know the softer thinner grip goes on the throttle side

On 719s the pattern needs to be paid attention to in the grip, think about how your hand goes around them, then orient before installation

Here is how I orient mine

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 12:32 PM by The ferret.)
06-28-2013 12:31 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
That is a very good story, Ferret. In . . .The ferret — 03:58 PM
I don't know about that... they're easy . . .Gone in 60 — 03:50 PM