Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Who rides the CB 1100?
Dharma_Jones93 Offline
Break-In Period

Ohio
RE: Who rides the CB 1100?
So, 27 year old grad student, licensed professional counselor (no worries, I'm not diagnosing any of you! Tongue).
I've had Buells all my life, I really enjoyed speed and muscle bikes, but the fallout of Buell and EBR was really taking a toll on my confidence (parts, repairs, etc...).
Ultimately though, it was reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance that turned me to the retro bikes. I longed for just me and the machine, simple, unadulterated. But, I do the touring/camping stuff too, so I needed the muscle for two up with gear, and something a grad student could afford! This bike has really done it all with amazing stride. I really can't imagine a bike that would replace this. I ride it almost every day!
P.s. I love this community on this forum. Just amazing positivity and true riders, new and experienced all here to talk about how awesome and inspiring the bikes and riding are. Namaste!
07-25-2015 09:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
valkanut Offline
Break-In Period

quebec,
Who rides the CB 1100?
Hi, i'm 61 and still trucking canada-usa. Driving my life away and my cb1100 '13 is my 7th honda, only had honda in my lire and this is the best therapy i know.

Envoyé de mon SGH-T889V en utilisant Tapatalk
07-27-2015 06:41 AM
ride4now Offline
High Mileage

Florida / Georgia USA
(07-25-2015 06:54 AM)gwallis Wrote:  64 year old Cement Salesman (cement.. not concrete).

I have been looking at the CB110 since they came out and I finally found a slightly used one (3,300 miles) at a great price. I have had many motorcycles over the last 40 years and I can honestly say this is the smoothest bike I have ever owned.

My other bike is a 1978 KZ650.

Please forgive my ignorance... what is the difference between Cement and Concrete?

‘22 BMW R1250 GSA
‘14 Honda CB1100 DLX
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
‘70 Kawasaki H1 500
07-27-2015 05:41 PM
gwallis Offline
Break-In Period

Whitefish Bay, WI
(07-27-2015 05:41 PM)ride4now Wrote:  
(07-25-2015 06:54 AM)gwallis Wrote:  64 year old Cement Salesman (cement.. not concrete).

I have been looking at the CB110 since they came out and I finally found a slightly used one (3,300 miles) at a great price. I have had many motorcycles over the last 40 years and I can honestly say this is the smoothest bike I have ever owned.

My other bike is a 1978 KZ650.

Please forgive my ignorance... what is the difference between Cement and Concrete?

Cement is the raw powder that is used to make concrete. Sorta like the flour in a cake. Cement is a manufactured product that is mainly Limestone, shale and iron that is burned in a very large Kiln to drive off an extra carbon dioxide molecule. This open chain molecule needs water to act as the catalyst in order to create a gel that eventually crystalizes.
07-27-2015 06:14 PM
jrns Offline
Running Like a Top

Nova Scotia, Canada
(07-22-2015 04:14 PM)metallyguitarded Wrote:  What the heck?

I'm a 47-year-old deputy district attorney. I've been a prosecutor for roughly 15.5 years. For the past 8+ years I've been assigned to the Gang Prosecution Unit where I've largely specialized in prosecuting Mexican cartel violence that crosses into our jurisdiction. Murders, shootings, robberies, kidnappings for ransom. That sort of thing. Recently, I was assigned to lead a team of gang prosecutors in our southern branch. My office is less than 10 miles from the border with Mexico. In addition to the cartel violence, I also prosecute members of what are considered traditional, turf-oriented street gangs. More murders, shootings, stabbings, home invasion robberies, carjackings, etc. Some of these gang members are also members or associates of the Mexican Mafia (not to be confused with Mexican drug cartels).

The southern portions of our county have a large concentration of Hispanic residents and, as a result, much of the gang violence I currently prosecute is perpetrated by Hispanic street gangs. When I worked out of our downtown office, we had a broader range of gangsters to deal with - Hispanic, African-American, Asian, White, along with the cartel, Mexican Mafia, and various motorcycle gangs. I've seen some awful, unimaginable things over the course of my career. Motorcycling, and in particular, my amazing CB and my brothers here on the forum, provide me with much needed balance. Riding allows me to clear my head and recharge. Meditation in motion. I suppose that's why so many of my posts here tend to be light-hearted and attempts at humor. Just trying to keep that balance in my life. Thanks for putting up with my nonsense.

MG .. this is nothing short of amazing . will you eventually be writing a book? Wink
stay safe.
07-28-2015 05:04 AM
kennyw Offline
High Mileage

Gold Bar
I am a late 30s mechanical engineer.

I currently work full time while going to school to get a piece of paper that tells my employer that I'm qualified to do the job that I have done for years. This will also allow me to get paid as a profesional rather than a technician.

I started riding motorcycles 5-6 years ago in order to use the car pool lane and shave 15 minutes each way off my commute (I used to commute 60 miles each way). My first bike was an old Honda V45 Magna, 750cc V4 cruiser. 90 something HP stock and very light and balanced. It was the best bike I have ever been on to date (CB1100 being a close second). I enjoy riding more as I gain experience.

The reason I ended up on the CB was pure circumstance. I was looking for a cheap bike this spring and ended up buying a 1982 CB750C for $1100. The plan was to get a bike that would need nothing mechanical right away since I have no free time with my schedule. I put on new tires when I bought it and began to ride. It was a nice bike but had poor ergonomics for a tall guy and I started adding up all the work it really needed.

When I realized I wasn't going to have the time to get everything fixed, I decided to bite the bullet and get a new bike with fuel injection and ABS. The CB1100 was now jumping out at me on the showroom floor after owning the CB750C. Before that I was looking at Weestroms and the NX700.

KennyW
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2015 06:39 AM by kennyw.)
07-28-2015 06:15 AM
metallyguitarded Offline
Road Warrior

United States
(07-28-2015 05:04 AM)jrns Wrote:  MG .. this is nothing short of amazing . will you eventually be writing a book? Wink
stay safe.

Thanks jrns. I just might write that book. I've had the privilege of prosecuting some incredible cases against some very bad people. As far as staying safe, there are some (now) interesting stories there as well. Like having to explain to my wife how to put on a bullet proof vest if it becomes necessary and that the man with the rifle in our living room is one of our best assigned to executive protection and we're going to be just fine. My wife took it incredibly well.

I'll have to find a way to work in the CB1100 forum and all of you guys into the book! Haha.

"People are more violently opposed to fur than to leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs." - A. Sayle
07-28-2015 07:20 AM
DocRid Offline
1st Service Completed

NJ
Another youngin in good company. I'm 28, a Navy vet, and went to school for psychology when I got out. Ended up with a career in waste management lol. Been on two wheels since my dad bought me an XR50. People say I've an "old soul", which might be why I ended up with the CB. It goes well with my cufflinks and tiebars Big Grin
07-28-2015 08:13 AM
metallyguitarded Offline
Road Warrior

United States
(07-28-2015 08:13 AM)DocRid Wrote:  Another youngin in good company. I'm 28, a Navy vet, and went to school for psychology when I got out. Ended up with a career in waste management lol. Been on two wheels since my dad bought me an XR50. People say I've an "old soul", which might be why I ended up with the CB. It goes well with my cufflinks and tiebars Big Grin

Psychology to waste management. There's something comically appropriate about that. Haha. And, you're never too young for classic style.

"People are more violently opposed to fur than to leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs." - A. Sayle
07-28-2015 08:40 AM
dogpetersburg Offline
Break-In Period

Atlanta
First I got to say that this forum gives me hope for humanity and I hope it doesn't have to go away. However, I think I understand Guth's struggles and I wish him health and peace, foremost. I could provide assistance or advice if a transition takes place; please reach out if you think I could do that.

37 y/o web software engineer, working in news media currently. Hobbies include canoeing, long distance hiking, playing the accordion poorly, watching soccer (that's football for you Brits), and giving motorcycle rides to older forum members' daughters Big Grin

I bought the CB because it was aimed straight at me, you've seen the commercial. It basically drove me to learn how to ride motorcycles when this bike came out. That and my ex-gf's dad was big into bikes and sold me my first in those years. But in all seriousness, I wanted a bike that would be newer and reliable yet mechanically simple so I could learn from it as a beginner wrencher (no trips to the shop), and good for both in-town and long-distance travel. This is my fourth bike; I've been riding for 10yrs and about 50K miles. For five of those years, a motorbike was my only fast transport. But I bought a used car last year, a Nissan Leaf Big Grin

I still have a lot to learn about riding and wrenching, but I'm happy I ended up with this bike and happy that this forum has been there when I needed to dream a little. The power of dreams, indeed, but sleep is good too. God bless
04-14-2022 04:18 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM