Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mirrors lasted a month
Flynbulldog Offline
1st Service Completed

Larkspur, CO
RE: Mirrors lasted a month
(06-30-2013 06:04 AM)Bonafide Wrote:  I have CRG LS as well. The stockers are TOO big mickey mouse ear looking (imo) .. and caused me blindspots when diving into the switchbacks. The bar ends open up your field of view and it's a beaut. I'm a cafe racer fan not an OEM cookie cutter fan.

I've been a cafe racer guy since well before cafe bikes were a fad but it can be said that cafe bikes, choppers, and customs all follow a cookie cutter formula too.

How many guys are building flat blacked out bikes these days? Shesh! talk about no imagination Sad...
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2013 07:09 AM by Flynbulldog.)
06-30-2013 07:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bonafide Offline
Break-In Period

Atlanta, Ga
(06-30-2013 07:08 AM)Flynbulldog Wrote:  I've been a cafe racer guy since well before cafe bikes were a fad but it can be said that cafe bikes, choppers, and customs all follow a cookie cutter formula too.

How many guys are building flat blacked out bikes these days? Shesh! talk about no imagination Sad...

So you're a brit from the pre-60s? Rolleyes whatever rockstar.

ANY modified bike by an individual no matter what 'formula' format chosen is NOT a cookie cutter.

I'm currently building a blacked out bike. I prefer blacked out pieces to chrome. Guess I have no shiny imagination. Shy

I swear .. it sure is coming across here like some of you guys are just huddling over this forum so you can push your personal opinion as what's right and everyone else is wrong. Go ride your bike ... or polish your headlight .. or whatever trips your trigger. Dodgy
06-30-2013 07:54 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I think there is a lot of individualism being shown on this forum with regards to this bike..completely stock, different handle bars, mirrors, seats, color of side covers, foot pegs, engine guards, luggage racks, at least 6 different windshield/ fairing combos, luggage. The bike is being used truly as a UJM is designed to be used. Modified to suit the individual style and taste of the owners.

Some modifications may suit some but not others. I try not to be too critical, because honestly, its none of my business what someone does to their bike.

I also not try to call someone a liar or demean them without knowing differently, being able to prove differently, or knowing the person personally.

This is a fine motorcycle, one which has brought us all together in this place. No sense getting your shorts in a wad because someone says something you don't agree with.

Tis site started with civility and I hope it continues that way.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
06-30-2013 08:35 AM
Flynbulldog Offline
1st Service Completed

Larkspur, CO
(06-30-2013 07:54 AM)Bonafide Wrote:  
(06-30-2013 07:08 AM)Flynbulldog Wrote:  I've been a cafe racer guy since well before cafe bikes were a fad but it can be said that cafe bikes, choppers, and customs all follow a cookie cutter formula too.

So you're a brit from the pre-60s? Rolleyes whatever rockstar.

ANY modified bike by an individual no matter what 'formula' format chosen is NOT a cookie cutter.

I'm currently building a blacked out bike. I prefer blacked out pieces to chrome. Guess I have no shiny imagination. Shy

I swear .. it sure is coming across here like some of you guys are just huddling over this forum so you can push your personal opinion as what's right and everyone else is wrong. Go ride your bike ... or polish your headlight .. or whatever trips your trigger. Dodgy

I guess I asked for that cuzz, well, everybody is building a flat blacked out bike these days. sorta proves my point.

But hey I'm not trying to rain on your happiness so I'm sorry if I hit a nerve.
And I do like to state my opinion just like everybody else.
But I'll never insist that another builder's taste is wrong, just that its not mine.
That's OK because a forum should have all kinds of information both positive and negative.
I would find a forum full of only positive information and posts nearly useless.

Like ferret said, don't let me or anybody else ruffle you feathers. We're all here having a great conversation around this bike.
And I'd bet that most of us have more in common than in difference.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2013 03:46 PM by Flynbulldog.)
06-30-2013 03:45 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Well I like the stock mirrors too...

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
07-01-2013 05:53 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
It all comes down to personal taste. Bar end mirrors just look plain wrong to me on the CB1100. Definitely not attractive to my eye. I actually dig the stock mirrors on the CB1100, both for the way they look and for the way they work.

To be totally honest, I'm more concerned with how "I" look on the bike as I could stand to lose a few pounds. Until that happens, no matter what I do to my CB, I'm going to be the most out of place part of the bike's look. Big Grin

(06-30-2013 07:54 AM)Bonafide Wrote:  I swear .. it sure is coming across here like some of you guys are just huddling over this forum so you can push your personal opinion as what's right and everyone else is wrong. Go ride your bike ... or polish your headlight .. or whatever trips your trigger. Dodgy

Come on Bonafide, no one here called you out in particular. Everyone, including yourself, is entitled to their own opinion. In general, blacked out bikes aren't my thing either. But I would hope that if that is what someone chooses to do with their bike, they're doing so because they themselves prefer it and not because they are trying to impress others or are overly worried about what anyone else thinks.

Here in Portland, you almost couldn't throw a rock without hitting a hipster riding around on a 70's UJM that been ratted out and spray painted flat black. Sadly, those bikes are what defines the genre for me. In my eye, those bikes are totally cookie cutter (to use a phrase that you yourself used earlier in this thread).

I know that there are other examples out there that are executed in a way where, with even a quick glance, you can see that a considerable amount of time and effort were invested in the bike. Unfortunately they are few and far between where I live, so I hope that you might understand where some of us are coming from.

There is a section on this forum for other bikes, I hope when you're finished with your project you'll post it up there. I've been surprised before, and will surely be surprised many more times down the road (if I'm lucky) by the work of others. So please do share when you get a chance. Because here's the thing: even if a custom bike isn't to my taste, I can still appreciate a job well done.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2013 12:40 PM by Guth.)
07-01-2013 11:55 AM
dBuster Offline
Running Like a Top

La Crosse, WI
Chime in time...

I personally prefer the stock mirrors. Reminds me of the original CB's and other bikes of that era.

Not only that, to check your stock mirrors you don't have to take your eyes to far from the road to check your mirrors, whereas, IN MY OPINION, to check bar end mirrors your taking your eyes off of the road too far to get a check of mirrors.

Personally, I look over my shoulder for making any changes and only glance to the mirror to make sure that I don't have the bubble gum lights of a cruiser behind me! Smile
07-01-2013 01:14 PM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
Hi,I just put the slightly wider OEM Honda CBX mirrors on my CB1100.After a scary ride in the fog on my 94 CB1000 last fall on Interstate 81 I decided to put even wider mirrors on all my bikes like I have on my CBX.s The mirrors on both CB1000 and CB1100 our very good compared to other bikes but with the CBX mirrors I can see both lanes behind me vey well out of BOTH mirrors.They are all black but do look as if they belong on the bike.In this case it is safety above all and they are very nice mirrors and HONDA !!! Safe Riding.
07-02-2013 03:31 PM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(07-02-2013 03:31 PM)Houtman Wrote:  Hi,I just put the slightly wider OEM Honda CBX mirrors on my CB1100.After a scary ride in the fog on my 94 CB1000 last fall on Interstate 81 I decided to put even wider mirrors on all my bikes like I have on my CBX.s The mirrors on both CB1000 and CB1100 our very good compared to other bikes but with the CBX mirrors I can see both lanes behind me vey well out of BOTH mirrors.They are all black but do look as if they belong on the bike.In this case it is safety above all and they are very nice mirrors and HONDA !!! Safe Riding.

That sounds interesting. How about a photo!

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
07-02-2013 04:40 PM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
I would love to post photo,s but have no clue how to do this!!
People say it is easy but I do not even know what some of the terms they say mean.My wife can put the pictures I use to sell on ebay on but we have never used things like photo bucket etc.
Hopefully one day we will master it.
07-03-2013 05:33 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
And … ? Not too much to talk a . . .peterbaron — 03:21 PM
Todays weather
Today's weather (same system as PB) was . . .GoldOxide — 03:10 PM