Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Deer strike.
veech Offline
Running Like a Top

Chicago Area
RE: Deer strike.
Interestingly, the last time I hit a deer in my truck I was on a busy highway and had to wait to pull over to a convenient location down the road to survey the damage to my vehicle and call in a police report.

Darn good thing I did-the insurance company said that because I didn't stop right at the location but continued driving it proved the deer hit me and they approved my claim. They said if I would have pulled over right at the spot it could be construed that I was actually the one that hit the deer and it would have been a possible problem with my claim.

Never heard this before, but a very good lesson to know in the event it happens again!
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 10:31 AM by The ferret.)
07-06-2015 08:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JustPassinThru Offline
Running Like a Top

Montana
(07-06-2015 08:49 AM)veech Wrote:  Interestingly, the last time I hit a deer in my truck I was on a busy highway and had to wait to pull over to a convenient location down the road to survey the damage to my vehicle and call in a police report.

Darn good thing I did-the insurance company said that because I didn't stop right at the location but continued driving it proved the deer hit me and they approved my claim. They said if I would have pulled over right at the spot it could be construed that I was actually the one that hit the deer and it would have been a possible problem with my claim.

Never heard this before, but a very good lesson to know in the event it happens again!

Yah, that would be a problem - if your company had to pay the deer's insurance claim.

Those veterinarian bills can add up. Oh, how messy that can be, when you get into liability issues with wildlife's insurance companies.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 10:31 AM by The ferret.)
07-06-2015 09:05 AM
veech Offline
Running Like a Top

Chicago Area
Some insurance companies will do whatever they can to screw you out of paying you the money...
07-06-2015 09:12 AM
JustPassinThru Offline
Running Like a Top

Montana
(07-06-2015 09:12 AM)veech Wrote:  Some insurance companies will do whatever they can to screw you out of paying you the money...

True enough.

Maybe it wasn't plain...I was mocking the idea; and whatever insurance company or claims agent would offer it up.
07-06-2015 09:15 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Veech....I'm an insurance agent. Trust me when I say that it makes no difference if you hit the deer or the deer ran in front of you. The person that told you that was not firing on all cylinders. Now, filing a police report DOES help convince an insurance company that you hit an animal as opposed to, say, a telephone pole and there is a difference between how each of those claims are settled and how they could impact your future insurance rates. However, a police report is not necessary either with most companies; it's just very helpful to the process.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
07-06-2015 09:56 AM
veech Offline
Running Like a Top

Chicago Area
Interesting EmptySea. When the policeman arrived at the scene to make the report he was quite convinced of what happened when he saw my busted up front end with actual pieces of deer fur still stuck in the grill...
07-06-2015 10:47 AM
jrns Offline
Running Like a Top

Nova Scotia, Canada
(07-06-2015 03:40 AM)The ferret Wrote:  I see a lot of deer out around noon actually, not just early and late. Deer actually have 5 feeding times per day.

I think like most accidents it is just fate that the two of you end up in the same place. Try all you like you can't avoid fate.

I live in the midst of deer country and they are everywhere..so this thread is of high interest to me.
thanks for sharing that tidbit-didn't know about the 5 feeding times...good to know/.
07-07-2015 03:55 AM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
So, I decided not to replace the instrument cluster (at this time). It's still working fine. Yesterday I removed all of the ugly duct tape that was keeping the rain out of the gauges and replaced it with some heavy duty, flat black Gorilla Tape. It doesn't look perfect, but once I put my little NC Deflector windshield on it, you can't tell that there's any damage there at all (unless you're looking for it).

I emailed Mr. T about getting just a replacement left engine guard, but unfortunately, they're only sold in pairs. That said, he was kind enough to make me a very generous deal on a replacement set. That guy is tops in my book.

All that's left is getting a replacement for the left mirror and the the headlight trim ring and I'm done.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
07-07-2015 07:05 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Go Flyn! Keep the bike on the road.

Who wants to take out a deer as a driver in any circumstance? I was reminded as I read this thread tonight of a couple of parts of the main Australian highway in northern NSW where there are overpasses designed for wildlife so they will stay off the road. I suppose they were expensive; but, if it stops a car or motorcyclist or two from wiping out themselves and a kangaroo or a wombat, it's surely worth it.
07-08-2015 05:51 AM
Tim_in_AZ Offline
1st Service Completed

Phoenix,AZ
You probably know this already. Looks like you can buy just the outer case for the gauges. 37500-MGC-701 about $92.
07-08-2015 06:16 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM