Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Deer strike.
ride4now Offline
High Mileage

Florida / Georgia USA
RE: Deer strike.
Flynrider... Sorry to read this report but GLAD that you are ok. You'll fix the bike and all will be fine it shortly I'm sure. But as we get older...'we' get harder to fix. I'm glad you're ok in that regard. I'm with Veech on this... I worry about deer more than anything. You just can't sense what they might do... Scary! Stay safe my friend.

‘22 BMW R1250 GSA
‘14 Honda CB1100 DLX
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
‘70 Kawasaki H1 500
07-04-2015 04:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
veech Offline
Running Like a Top

Chicago Area
Not sure if this is an urban legend, but I heard about a guy driving his pickup truck when a deer jumped out, landed in the truck bed and broke its own neck! That must have been the easiest deer hunt of all time.
07-04-2015 05:09 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Sorry about the damage to a beautiful bike but very glad you walked away from that. Deer strikes at any speed are scary, even in a cage. I've hit 4 deer over the years but never on a bike.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
07-04-2015 05:28 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Glad you're ok. Had a Close Encounter of the Deer Kind yesterday, but was lucky enough to have more advanced warning than you, even though I was coming out of a turn and over a hill doing about 60. I got the bike stopped and they decided to return to the cover from whence they came.

I think there was a discussion here about a published article (Cycle World, maybe? And I'm paraphrasing it in any case) that stated that 100% of motorcycle crashes could have been avoided by the rider. The author then lowered his estimate to 99%, allowing for giant rocks falling from the sky or the occasional deer jumping out at you. I guess this makes you a 1%er. Beer

Looking forward to your upcoming report and will be extra vigilant because of this one.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
07-04-2015 05:35 AM
furious_blue Offline
Running Like a Top

Glad you got through that one OK.

Deer scare me more than anything. IMHO, all young fawns should be forced to attend and pass a highway safety class before being allowed anywhere near a road !
07-04-2015 09:02 AM
HikerToo Offline
Road Warrior

Delaware
I read about this top safety instructor losing his life after a deer hit.....it was his one fear.
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/obituar...0604110210
07-04-2015 09:13 AM
metallyguitarded Offline
Road Warrior

United States
I'm glad you're okay! So scary. We still have deer crossing signs around the neighborhood but no deer. Development has sadly cleared them out long ago. The last time I saw a deer around here was back in the early 80s. The coyotes have continued to flourish but at least they have the sense not to jump in front of moving motorcycles.

"People are more violently opposed to fur than to leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs." - A. Sayle
07-04-2015 09:40 AM
Todd-badebiker Offline
Break-In Period

Colorado
Deer are so unexpected, predictable yes, they will jump in front of you, it is the unexpected movement that gets us.

Cows, they are unpredictable, I would see them in the mountains being free ranged, try to pass one standing and the stupid thing starts running, then swerving side to side until "I finally gave up and went home." Maybe they are smart after all,...

I had a near miss back in high school on my CB125S(my first CB). I was leading the way to our summer weekly wood cutting session when I was rounding a curve at about 20mph as the curve progressed the morning sun blinded me when I heard a scratching on the pavement. Later my dad said I had nearly hit a deer.

Glad you are alright and were able to continue on your trip. For me sand and cars crossing the line are my biggest fears. Maybe I am just stupid that way but I am on the look out for big rocks, people, animals, vehicles, sand, and my own miscalculations constantly to stay upright and get home safe.

As we were told on the ship "be a lert, the world needs more of them." Deer don't know this though.
07-04-2015 07:13 PM
JustPassinThru Offline
Running Like a Top

Montana
Anyone have any strategies for minimizing risk?

Those "deer whistles" have pretty much been discredited. Now, when I'm on the job, running a locomotive...and we have deer in the track (I don't like to hit them for several reasons) there are things I've found I can do. The air horn...is just music to their ears. It seems to soothe them...really. But putting on the BELL...that BANG! BANG! BANG! of the clapper whacking the bell...that raises alarm to them.

The headlight, just freezes them. Just like jacking deer with a spotlight. So...put the bell ON, and turn the lights OFF...and they scurry away.

Now, there's no headlight switch on a motorcycle...and anyway, you don't have that kind of advance time, to turn it off. When deer are busiest, you need a light even in a car. But...one thing I've done when I HAD to run, in dawn or dusk, through high-risk areas, when there are no homes or police about...is continuously toot the horn.

Does it help? Do rain dances end droughts? Who knows?

I vaguely remember reading of someone who claimed to have put an MP3 look of a dog barking, and playing it on a speaker on the roof of his truck when going through deer country. Claimed it had them running. I'm dubious...but I'll consider anything.
07-04-2015 10:09 PM
veech Offline
Running Like a Top

Chicago Area
Those deer whistles are conpletely worthless. I pretty much blast my horn repeatedly and if you have a loud pipe rev up the motor, basically making as much noise as possible. (The CB horn is nice and loud & piercing.) My experience has been they seem to run away from that, but that only works if you have adequate warning by seeing them. If they do their leaping trick, prayer instinct & experience are all you've got.

Also, SLOW DOWN AS FAST AS SAFELY POSSIBLE as soon as you see one, not to mention proceed very cautiosly when driving through wooded areas.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2015 04:48 AM by veech.)
07-05-2015 04:33 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Milestone Thread (Take 2)
Go Django! Interesting it doesn’t sa . . .Django — 11:40 PM
Sundays with Cheryl
Alright Cheryl's back riding. Been waiti . . .The ferret — 06:23 PM
Sundays with Cheryl