Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how often and how do you wash/clean your pride and joy?
Toddman Offline
1st Service Completed

Norman, OK
RE: how often and how do you wash/clean your pride and joy?
I try not to use water on mine but when I do, I try to ride soon after I dry it to blow out any water that's hiding.
07-30-2015 07:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ClassicVW Offline
High Mileage

New Jersey, USA
It's an extremely low possibility that an ordinary garden hose would cause a problem. My neighborhood has what's agreed is quite high water pressure, and I've never had an issue. You do need to completely avoid using a pressure washer, even on a wide stream. I once tried a pressure washer on a pickup truck that I used to own and without trying or any warning, it completely removed a large factory applied graphic from the door.

--George
[i]"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day that you find out why" [/i]-- Mark Twain
07-30-2015 08:41 AM
furious_blue Offline
Running Like a Top

S100 is one of the greatest cleaning inventions ever. Not cheap but worth every penny.

I reserve one bike to be 'the rain bike': CBR250R.. when that gets all mucky, it's easy to clean since everything is covered up by body work and the lower body work, the stuff that gets the most grime, is rough black unfinished plastic so you can just take a nylon scrub brush to it without a care about ruining any finish.

The CB1100 on the other hand is so beautifully exposed that doing a proper cleaning job after a mucky rain ride would take a bit of time.. so I try not to ride it in the rain (never taken it on a distant tour yet where meeting rain is unavoidable).
So, yeah, like others here, the CB1100 gets a good S100 wash maybe 2x a year...
07-30-2015 10:30 AM
gossman Offline
Running Like a Top

Poverty Gulch, Oregon
Wash with auto soap and water using a hose. For tough areas and places with hard to get at chrome I would use spray on chrome and tub bathroom cleaner. Never a problem for many decades. I do like to wax the tank regularly as to protect the finish from dust and the tank bag. Never understood the fear of using a hose and water. After all, aren't motorcycles designed to be ridden in the rain?

I use my cheap electric leaf blower to dry it out. It blows out all the hidden bits of water that always seems to get one wet after a wash.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2015 11:00 AM by gossman.)
07-30-2015 10:58 AM
holy666diver Offline
Running Like a Top

Murrieta, Ca
Why is everyone afraid to use water on their bike? I wash my bike every other month after it rains usually my bike is CAKED in dirt. I hose it off, use auto soap on the tank, wash the rims, take the seat off and my shield and any other leather. I quickly pat dry the bike then immediately take it for a ride to air dry the water in the hard to reach spots. I then Wax the tank using Ice from turtle wax. I always use new towels and micro fiber cloths never use a dirty cloth.

I mean these bikes are made to be ridden in all conditions why is everyone avoiding getting the bike wet. Every time I ride in the rain my bike is soaked front to back and I have about 2 inches of dirt on the underside.
07-30-2015 01:56 PM
furious_blue Offline
Running Like a Top

For the fanatical:

every time you wash and dry the bike by any kind of contact, you wear the finish. I've never been that fanatical, but I do make sure that if manually drying, I NEVER dry anything by using the common circular motion, this etches swirls onto the surface of everything paint, chrome etc.. Instead, I'll blot dry with no side to side motion on the surface.

I've heard that some super car owners even try to use soaps a little as possible when washing... but that's further than I'd go !

'over cleaning' is a word that I've heard said by the really fanatical about those who have damaged their vehicle finish by washing and waxing it 'too much'.
07-30-2015 02:05 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(07-30-2015 01:56 PM)holy666diver Wrote:  Why is everyone afraid to use water on their bike?

I mean these bikes are made to be ridden in all conditions why is everyone avoiding getting the bike wet. Every time I ride in the rain my bike is soaked front to back

I ride my bikes everyday, or nearly everyday all year round in Ohio. Not afraid of my bikes getting wet, or dirty. They get wet and dirty quite often. The next rain usually washes off the dirt from the last rain. We have had a record year for rain this year so my bikes have been wet and dirty.. a lot. I just give mine a semi thorough cleaning in the spring and the fall. In the spring to wash off the winter salt, and in the fall to get rid of 6 months of grunge. No sense washing them and making them all pretty today if they are only going to get dirty again tomorrow or the day after.

I am at 12,135 miles for the year so far. My bikes are not a garage queens. The ferret

(07-30-2015 02:05 PM)furious_blue Wrote:  'over cleaning' is a word that I've heard said by the really fanatical about those who have damaged their vehicle finish by washing and waxing it 'too much'.

Yea, I will never be accused of that. Rolleyes

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
07-30-2015 06:31 PM
hxd148 Offline
Break-In Period

texas
I think me and Ferret have the same method of cleaning our bikes lol.
I find that here in Texas its too dusty and bug filled to keep your bike clean if you ride it every day. I try every couple of months to wash and wax it but it never stays pretty for long.
07-31-2015 04:43 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
how often and how do you wash/clean your pride and joy?
Only dirty bikes get washed.
08-01-2015 02:34 AM
BestStandard Offline
1st Service Completed

Pennsylvania
I only get the hose and bucket out when a bike gets really grimy. All other times I use Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish on all surfaces except the brake rotors... its quick, easy and cheap and leaves a nice shine. It cuts through tar, grease and bugs so well I use it on my autos as needed to prep for waxing. Been using it for many years... had enough stockpiled to get me through the period when they weren't making it and was elated when they started stocking it again. If you never tried it stop what your doing now and ride down to the Honda dealer on your CB to pick up a couple cans, you'll thank me later. Smile

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/942...%26-Polish
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2015 11:47 AM by BestStandard.)
08-01-2015 07:08 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM