Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First 1000 miles
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
First 1000 miles
Well, I picked up my CB from the dealer on June 9th and wound the odometer past 1000, non-commuting, miles last night. About half of those miles were racked up on fairly local trips away from the urban sprawl of Chicago to at least the fringes of the more open country that surrounds it, including one one 60 mile ride with the sole purpose of enjoying a cigar in a neat little park in southern Wisconsin. Also, some rides to bike nights and a pretty cool ride to a vintage bike show in the city called "Mods vs. Rockers" where my bike got a ton (pun intended) of attention from the cafe racer crowd in attendance. The remaining 500 miles was clocked on our second annual Solstice Ride.

The Solstice Ride was conceived by my brother-in-law and has four simple rules: you must be on your bike at sunrise, on or near your bike all day, on your bike on sunset, and your route should return you to your starting point at the end of the day (avoid using The Ride as the first leg of a longer trip) . Last year, it was just two of us. This year, there were four riders (two BMWs, a Yamaha, and me).

Our route took us to breakfast in a bar in northwest Illinois called Poopy's, then north along the Mississipi to Galena then crossing the Big Muddy into Iowa, following The Great River Road. Crossed the river into Cassville, Wisconsin; this time via a small ferry that you board after a mile-long ride down a gravel road. From Cassville, it was down to Potosi for lunch at the Potosi Brewing Co. Then we meandered east across Wisconsin, stopping at a state park, New Glarus Brewing, a Hooters, and dinner at a diner on Hwy. 45 in Bristol, WI with plenty of. Curves, twists,, and turns in between. Left my house at 5:15am and returned home at 10:45pm.

By the end of this month, my odo should have ticked over 2500 miles as my wife on her CTX, me on my CB1100, and three friends on Wings (one on the new F6B) will have completed a circle tour of Lake Michigan by then. I will post a report of that ride when it is in the books, but expect a report of miles and miles of smiles Smile

My feeble attempts at photography and posting said photography follow...

Attached File(s) Image(s)

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 06:49 PM by EmptySea.)
07-02-2013 05:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: First 1000 miles
Very cool. Congrats sounds like a great ride, although Im not sure I would want to eat at anyplace called poopys lol

To post pics from Ipad first download them from camera to computer, then from computer to photobucket. Bookmark photobucket on your ipad. Then you can download pics to ride reports using your ipad. Thats how I do it.

This was written on an ipad and pic attached

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
07-02-2013 06:22 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
A few more pics...

And the last one...

Attached File(s) Image(s)

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 03:04 PM by EmptySea.)
07-02-2013 03:03 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Now THAT 's a tank bag lol. Nice touch with the Rider cover inside ( thumbs up)

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
07-02-2013 04:16 PM
Flynbulldog Offline
1st Service Completed

Larkspur, CO
nice write-up looks like you guys had a great time.

emptysea, I'm very curious about your board name, can you please explain the origin?
07-07-2013 03:00 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
(07-07-2013 03:00 PM)Flynbulldog Wrote:  nice write-up looks like you guys had a great time.

emptysea, I'm very curious about your board name, can you please explain the origin?

It's my initials, MTC, spelled out phonetically, sort of. I used to sail a lot and "Empty Sea" seemed like a good name for a boat if I ever could afford one..which I couldn't..and can't.

Riding on an empty road reminds me of sailing on an empty sea. Too bad my name isn't Matthew Thomas Rhodes, I guess. Smile

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
07-08-2013 12:46 AM
Flynbulldog Offline
1st Service Completed

Larkspur, CO
(07-08-2013 12:46 AM)EmptySea Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 03:00 PM)Flynbulldog Wrote:  nice write-up looks like you guys had a great time.

It's my initials, MTC, spelled out phonetically, sort of. I used to sail a lot and "Empty Sea" seemed like a good name for a boat if I ever could afford one..which I couldn't..and can't.

Riding on an empty road reminds me of sailing on an empty sea. Too bad my name isn't Matthew Thomas Rhodes, I guess. Smile

Thanks for the explanation.

I used to make my living as a photographer/ journalist who specialized in the marine environment.
Your board name struck me as often I fear this world is headed toward an Empty Sea.

Glad your name has a positive connotation. Smile
07-08-2013 09:02 AM
wildezt Offline
Running Like a Top

United States
(07-02-2013 05:54 AM)EmptySea Wrote:  The Solstice Ride was conceived by my brother-in-law and has four simple rules: you must be on your bike at sunrise, on or near your bike all day, on your bike on sunset, and your route should return you to your starting point at the end of the day (avoid using The Ride as the first leg of a longer trip) . Last year, it was just two of us. This year, there were four riders (two BMWs, a Yamaha, and me).

Nice concept.. Smile

let's roll...The ferret
08-01-2013 01:01 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition