Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
scottoiler v-system
12cb96vfr Offline
1st Service Completed

Charlotte, nc
scottoiler v-system
Hey guys, im planning on adding a scottoiler to the cb; ill post up pics as I install it.

I put one on my VFR and it's hands-down the best mod I've ever done.

Only thing that bothers me is trying to find a suitable vacuum line on the CB. It was cake on the carb of the Viffer but I'm thinking it may be a pain on the EFI system on this bike. We'll see!!
07-02-2013 07:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Phat Ham Offline
Break-In Period

DC
RE: scottoiler v-system
Have you thought of using the electric one instead of the vacuum one?
07-02-2013 10:53 AM
12cb96vfr Offline
1st Service Completed

Charlotte, nc
Yeah, I just didn't wanna spend double for it, but I think that's what I'm gonna do
07-02-2013 07:13 PM
Flynbulldog Offline
1st Service Completed

Larkspur, CO
interesting, I've been riding motorcycles for over 40 years and I don't EVER oil my chains.
I just clean them about once a month with WD40.

In-fact when I install a new chain or buy a new bike I clean all the factory lube off before I ride... Rolleyes

A constant oiler seems a bit excessive and unnecessary to me, but whatever makes you happy is good. Blush
07-02-2013 09:54 PM
AZrider Offline
Break-In Period

USA
For Flynbulldog: Would you share how long a chain lasts for you and about how many miles you ride a year? I suspect that the monthly WD40 does more than clean in that it lubes also. Many believe that WD40 harms the O-rings. Obviously, it hasn't on your bikes. You have a long track record for your method. It's obviously working if you get decent mileage from your chains.
07-03-2013 08:27 AM
Joola Offline
Running Like a Top

Los Angeles
I used to cycle competitively (bicycles, not motos) and standard WD40 was a big no-no for chain lube in that world. It works great at first but tends to dry up quickly and will attract more road gunk than traditional lubricants. I'm only assuming this translates from bicycle chains to motorcycle chains.

[size=x-small]719 Gel Grips, Tandem Grip, Chrome Chain Guard and Meter Covers, K&H Hi Seat, Lucas Taillight, ViziTec Modulator, Painted Headlight Bucket[/size]
07-03-2013 08:38 AM
12cb96vfr Offline
1st Service Completed

Charlotte, nc
Yeah that is the first time I've heard not to lube a chain, I'm interested as well?
07-03-2013 08:51 AM
Flynbulldog Offline
1st Service Completed

Larkspur, CO
old bikes with standard chains need periodic oiling. Any o-ring chain made within the last 15 years has been manufactured with lube inside the o-ring or x-ring and like modern sealed bearings does not need lube. They need to be kept clean and free of gunk that causes wear. Also if you are in an area with hi humidity oiling the chain is a must to prevent rust.

Almost all manufacturers recommend periodic cleaning and chain lube and there is most certainly a debate about using WD40 and how it affects the o-rings.

I know many many long time riders who do just what I do and just keep their chains clean. I have had zero problems and my chains typically last about 20,000 miles.

I'm happy with the way I do it but I do not recommend it to anyone else. You guys need to do what works best for you.

This is from RK chains, You can see that they are fine with WD40 and lube is to prevent rust, I live in a very dry climate and use plated gold chains that do not rust.

Doing routine maintenance on any chain is a crucial step to getting the maximum wearlife out of your chain. You should clean and check its adjustment every 400 miles (sooner if the chain gets excessively dirty). Use formulated O-ring chain cleaner or other similar product to keep dirt from building up around link plates and rollers. Don’t use a wire brush or pressure washer. If your chain comes in contact with water, be sure to use a moisture displacement (like WD40). Lubing an O-Ring chain is vital for maximum wearlife. All RK O-Ring chains are injected at the factory with a lifetime supply of internal lubricant. The purpose of an O-Ring lube is to keep the chain from rusting and the O-rings from drying out. Use a lubricant specifically designed for O-Ring Chains.
07-03-2013 08:57 PM
rhtizzy Offline
Break-In Period

Netherlands
(07-02-2013 07:13 PM)12cb96vfr Wrote:  Yeah, I just didn't wanna spend double for it, but I think that's what I'm gonna do

Hi there, I have a scottoiler v-system from my previous bike and am still looking for a good place to mount and connect. Any foto's of either would be great! Cheers, Rick
12-04-2013 06:52 AM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
I can see the cost benefit of an oiler on the old pre-o-ring chains but not with o-ring chains used today. Other than rust control; and I never had a problem with rust (in Minnesota we lubed so much it could never happen and the old chains never lasted long enough to rust any way and in AZ it's so darn dry most of the time that rust is not a problem even during the monsoon season; what with little lube I use keeping it at bay).

Since I got back into motorcycles I've noticed a lot of things have changed and I've only put "high" miles on two bikes and they have shafts so my experience with the new chains is very limited and pretty much from conversations with riding buddies that go through them. Talking with them and reading on the forums, cleaning seems to be more critical than lubing. Even back in the day there was some discussion on chain lube attracting dirt and causing more wear than no lube.

So I'm keen on hearing your motivation for the scottoiler. I figure I'm not too old to learn a thing or two.

Remembering it is another problem. Tongue

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
12-04-2013 07:36 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition