Ohio
Fuel records keep falling
It keeps getting better and better.

Today I went on flashing reserve at 146.8 miles

Went 33.1 miles on reserve

Got gas at 179.9 miles

Took 3.286 gallons

55 mpg.

It may be possible to go 200 miles on a tank.

I'll keep pushing it for you guys until I find the limit...at which point I 'll be pushing it lol

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
07-03-2013 01:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
meowguy Offline
Running Like a Top

Saco, ME USA
RE: Fuel records keep falling
Look into Fuelly.com to track your mileage. I use it. Click on the link in my signature below.

If you would put your head in a helmet it wouldn't be empty.
07-03-2013 02:52 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Kinda technical their Meowguy.... I'm more a pencil and paper kinda guy. I think my son uses something like that. I see him entering stuff on his smart phone when we stop for gas. I on the other hand, keep a pen in my pocket and paper in my tank bag or tail pack. I have a dumb phone.

Defender of the Realm
07-03-2013 07:11 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I just looked it up, in April I was averaging 50 mpg and going on flashing reserve at 126 miles and wondering if I could go 150 miles before empty.

Now I'm averaging 55 mpg and going on flashing reserve at 146 miles, and not empty at 180 miles.

Not riding any differently. Motor must be breaking in, loosening up. The small fuel tank is no longer the big concern for me that it was when the bike was announced. Don't get me wrong...I still wish it had a 5 gallon tank, but at 180 miles per tank, I no longer fear I will run out of gas before finding a station.

Wish I knew how Honda measures or figures the volume of this tank. Is 3.9 gals a usable figure? Or is the usable figure actually less because the fuel pump is located in the tank? Is the pick up for the fuel pump low in the tank? How much usable space do we lose by filling the bike up on the side-stand vs filling on the center stand?

Has anyone tried filling on the side stand, then standing the bike up straight to see if they can get more fuel in?

Defender of the Realm
07-04-2013 07:00 AM
V452CB1100
Unregistered

(07-04-2013 07:00 AM)The ferret Wrote:  I just looked it up, in April I was averaging 50 mpg and going on flashing reserve at 126 miles and wondering if I could go 150 miles before empty.

Now I'm averaging 55 mpg and going on flashing reserve at 146 miles, and not empty at 180 miles.

Not riding any differently. Motor must be breaking in, loosening up. The small fuel tank is no longer the big concern for me that it was when the bike was announced. Don't get me wrong...I still wish it had a 5 gallon tank, but at 180 miles per tank, I no longer fear I will run out of gas before finding a station.

Wish I knew how Honda measures or figures the volume of this tank. Is 3.9 gals a usable figure? Or is the usable figure actually less because the fuel pump is located in the tank? Is the pick up for the fuel pump low in the tank? How much usable space do we lose by filling the bike up on the side-stand vs filling on the center stand?

Has anyone tried filling on the side stand, then standing the bike up straight to see if they can get more fuel in?
I tell you my bike is most definitely loosening up and running better after just 200 miles. I am just loving that big brick of an engine. I got about 44 mpg on my first fillup. BTW I would be cautious about overfilling; the bike doesn't like it. The tank needs a good bit of airspace for emissions control. I had gas "boil" out of my tank the first time I filled it; I think the nozzle autoshutoff was faulty to some extent but the tank does not seem to tolerate overfilling. Second fillup was no issue.
07-04-2013 08:23 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
I've always gassed up my bikes while simply straddling them. If I was going to use a stand, the center stand would probably be my choice.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
07-04-2013 09:52 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Guth you must not be a munchkin. Im not sure I can pull close enough to the pump to swipe my cc and work the pump controls while sitting on the bike ...arms are too short I think ( legs too). BEsides I always stand where I can see into the tank neck and control flow and splash.

I am going to fill it next time on the sidestand then straighten it up to see if any more will go in.

Defender of the Realm
07-05-2013 04:20 AM
meowguy Offline
Running Like a Top

Saco, ME USA
(07-04-2013 09:52 PM)Guth Wrote:  I've always gassed up my bikes while simply straddling them. If I was going to use a stand, the center stand would probably be my choice.
Excellent Guth. I tried it today and it works great. Who would have thought it was that easy. I found it easiest for me with my starboard (right) side to the pump.

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 12:12 PM by meowguy.)
07-06-2013 08:58 AM
ApathyCurve Offline
Break-In Period

Texas
Mine too! But, um... in the opposite direction. Apparently, my left hand pulls out the wallet, while my right hand controls the throttle. They seem to have a disagreement about what's important... XD
07-09-2013 03:15 PM
Gypped Offline
1st Service Completed

I've always filled the tank on the CB in the same way I have to fill it on my Warrior. The tank on the Warrior is so shallow and wide that you have to shake it a bit side-to-side then hold it up for a second or you can't get all the air out. The CB doesn't have the same problem, but I give it a shake each time anyway just to be sure. Just once isn't playing with it!
07-10-2013 01:45 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.
I never see a rider on a CB1100 bei . . .Gone in 60 — 11:44 AM
How the system helmet saved my pretty ...ss ...
Charlie, if you're into making plant pot . . .Gone in 60 — 11:43 AM
How the system helmet saved my pretty ...ss ...
I have a HJC modular and loved it. It wa . . .Charlie Bravo — 11:33 AM
I never see a rider on a CB1100 being . . .misterprofessionality — 11:26 AM
Broken indicator lens
Powerdubs, I like your thinking!Dave — 10:01 AM
Brake Pads... Simplified
Good to know my brake pad wear is normal . . .Yata-Garasu — 09:40 AM
Yeah... kinda agree with TooSlo. A year . . .Gone in 60 — 09:31 AM
Brake Pads... Simplified
keep in mind riding style will dictate w . . .m in sc — 07:29 AM

[-]