Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Another really nice "modern retro" from Honda
oldyaler Offline
1st Service Completed

Monroe,NC
RE: Another really nice "modern retro" from Honda
The "bigger is better" attitude in the US is the reason we miss out on a lot of nice motorcycles. The only way for small bikes to sell well here would be to go to a tiered licensing system like the ones used in other countries.
[/quote]

Now there's the perfect solution: The government needs to force us to buy bikes that we don't want.
[/quote]I DID NOT infer that the government force anything on us. There are some of us who like smaller displacement motorcycles but because of the "bigger is better" attitude we'll never get the opportunity. As far as the tiered licensing system, that would be the only way to get these bikes brought to the US. Also, a new rider having to start at the low end and work their way up the ladder would have better skills by the time they reached the top level.
07-06-2013 06:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Deanohh Offline
Running Like a Top

Redmond, Wa
A tiered licensing system is exactly what that is. Government deciding what vehicles you're allowed to have.

Another womb to tomb decision that we're too stupid to make for ourselves.

2011 Triumph Street Triple R
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 06:36 PM by Deanohh.)
07-06-2013 06:32 PM
Randy B Offline
Road Warrior

Palm Bay FL
(07-06-2013 06:32 PM)Deanohh Wrote:  Another womb to tomb decision that we're too stupid to make for ourselves.

UNFORTUNATELY there are too many people out there that fit this description, especially when it comes to buying motorcycles.

I can't tell you how many young "adults" (and I do use that term VERY loosely) I've seen on crazy powerful sport bikes that have ABSOLUTELY no business being within the same zip code as one.
07-06-2013 07:46 PM
jamboa Offline
1st Service Completed

(07-06-2013 07:46 PM)Randy B Wrote:  
(07-06-2013 06:32 PM)Deanohh Wrote:  Another womb to tomb decision that we're too stupid to make for ourselves.

UNFORTUNATELY there are too many people out there that fit this description, especially when it comes to buying motorcycles.

I can't tell you how many young "adults" (and I do use that term VERY loosely) I've seen on crazy powerful sport bikes that have ABSOLUTELY no business being within the same zip code as one.
I also see alot of older people getting on crusiers after being off bikesvsince they were teenagers and they have notva clue what is counter steering!

13 Honda CB11
17 Triumph T-120 Bonnie Gloss Black
13 Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer

04 Triumph T100 Bonneville SE Light Crusier Touring Modded 904cc
07-06-2013 08:02 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
I just found this to be a really cool bike and thought I'd share it with everyone. No need to drag politics (or idiots for that matter) into it.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
07-06-2013 08:33 PM
Deanohh Offline
Running Like a Top

Redmond, Wa
It is a cool bike. Never saw that one before.....thanks.

2011 Triumph Street Triple R
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
07-06-2013 08:54 PM
OldF7Guy Offline
Running Like a Top

I have never seen one of those before either and I think its as cool as can be. I would take one of these over a CB500x in a new york second.

2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda CB1100
07-07-2013 12:28 AM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(07-05-2013 04:50 PM)oldyaler Wrote:  The "bigger is better" attitude in the US is the reason we miss out on a lot of nice motorcycles. The only way for small bikes to sell well here would be to go to a tiered licensing system like the ones used in other countries.

Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. The reason a ton of motorcycles are not offered in the U.S. market is the extremely high cost of certifying a new model for sale here. It's the reason Honda initially decided to not offer the CB1100 here. They didn't think the potential sales volume would justify the expense. The United States has the most expensive vehicle certification process in the world today. And it's far worse for automobiles than motorcycles. As far as small bikes not selling here, the CBR250R and it's dual sport counterpart are flying out of Honda showrooms. But they aren't retro, just great small bikes.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
07-07-2013 03:43 AM
Yoyodyne Offline
1st Service Completed

Wisconsin
It looks like it might use the same basic engine as the old CB-1 from the late Eighties/early Nineties. Liquid-cooled, gear-driven cams, stratospheric redline. Very cool...
07-07-2013 08:49 AM
Mansie Offline
New To The Forum

England
(07-05-2013 01:44 AM)Guth Wrote:  I had never heard of this Honda before happening upon it via the Internet. I'm not even sure in which markets it was made available. This particular version of the CB400 Four (NC36) was produced in 1997 and 1998. A beautiful little bike in my opinion. Is anyone here familiar with this bike?
I have this bike. It is very pretty indeed. It was produced for the Japanese market only. Only a few of them have made it to Europe. In England they were called "grey imports" because the main Honda dealer did not offer it. Fastline in Preston, Lancashire was one of the importers.

The CB400 Four is quite a small, light bike. The only thing that is heavy are the four (!) exhausts. The style is more like the CB750 from the early seventies than from the original 1975 CB400.

It's got a sweet, fast engine. The engine has code NC23E and is a variation of the CB1 engine but the dual overhead cam shafts are chain driven, not gear driven.

The main problem with CB400 Four ownership here in England is that if you ride it in rain or in Winter the thing will rust away before your very eyes. How do I know? Sad

Here are some pics taken after the restauration. The bike is not entirely standard any more Cool

CB400 Four NC36 with red metalflake tank

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 01:56 PM by Mansie.)
09-12-2014 01:42 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
This Jacket Doesn't Exist...
Fun stuff, Gone. Thanks for sharing.Nachodaddy — 04:20 PM
2024 East Coast Rally - Official Thread
Hmmmmm, if only you knew someone in the . . .The A-man — 03:18 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Great work restoring it, m in sc. Forum . . .Cormanus — 02:48 PM
Yeah, but blood turns dark brown when it . . .Gone in 60 — 02:26 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
It can be satisfying watching the evolut . . .GoldOxide — 02:10 PM
Red is good. Doesn't show blood as easi . . .GoldOxide — 02:08 PM
Maybe I'll ride the 710 miles down on Sa . . .EmptySea — 12:05 PM
Folks: I just heard back from the Comfo . . .The A-man — 11:35 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,990