Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dog Days
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Dog Days
Weatherman says these are the dog days. Hot and humid with a chance of afternoon pop up showers every day. Hot and humid for this area means highs near 90 and humidity between 65% and 80%. It can get pretty oppressive mid day. Pop up showers means you can be riding along in the sunshine, get poured on for 5 miles, ride back into the sunshine and get poured on again for 5 more miles just up the road. Really hit and miss. Good thing we only get these conditions a couple weeks a year.

Lows in the mid 60's last night meant fog this morning in the valley where I live. Figured I'd ride early and avoid the midday heat and humidity and the showers if possible. Always liked the look of the fog rising over the river so the plan was to head east out to one of my favorite little sitting spots, drink some tea, watch the fog burn off the river by 10 AM, head east some more to one of the more rural counties head up into the hills and then swing back around toward home and be home around noon. Then hibernate in the air conditioning until after dinner when it will be cool enough for another ride.

Early morning fog as promised by the weathermen

believe it or not the river is out there somewhere, just past the vegetation

stopping at the town of Ripley for some tea about 40 miles up river from home, looking east towards West Virginia

Those are not fluffy white clouds behind the bike, but fog in the low lying areas across the river

Thought this was a cool pic, the sun reflecting off my shield (as well as me and the mirrors of the bike). That blazing sun is heating the day up and burning off the fog

Looking east upriver I liked the reflection on the water of the hills of Kentucky on the right southern side of the river, with the town of Ripley, Ohio on the left northern side of the river and how the river disappears in the distance in the fog

a little while later you can see in the mirror, the fog is gone, it's clear and bright and the day is really starting to heat up

One more stop along the river before swinging north, then west back to home. The little town of Manchester Ohio, boyhood home of car racing legend Jack Roush. I don't follow car racing but a friend who does tells me this guy is a pretty big deal in car racing circles. Greatness comes from within and not from the town you are born in it seems.

110 miles today. very pleasurable. The CB is outstanding for rides like this.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
09-02-2015 10:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
silverbub Offline
1st Service Completed

midusa
RE: Dog Days
Thanks for allowing me(us) to tag along!...I especially did a double take & much enjoyed the second picture of the "giant faint red glowing orb" just barely able to show through the morning fog while the sun was very low above eastern horizon!!... watch out, doubly, for those four legged ghostly figures who are lingering about the tarmac at those early hours with low visibility!! I assume the tea is ICED?
09-02-2015 11:49 AM
jrns Offline
Running Like a Top

Nova Scotia, Canada
(09-02-2015 10:57 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Thought this was a cool pic, the sun reflecting off my shield (as well as me and the mirrors of the bike). That blazing sun is heating the day up and burning off the fog

Hi Ferret, I really like your helmet. What model is that ? I want to get something similar ..I have a black one similar to that (I don't know the mod # off hand- but I like it, fits well and has good ventilation). A white one would be so much more visible tho in traffic etc. Plus white looks good.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2015 04:22 PM by The ferret.)
09-02-2015 12:08 PM
drodg Offline
1st Service Completed

Indiana
Great pictures by the river. I was riding late yesterday afternoon and it was very warm and very humid. I was thinking how nice it was not being behind a large faring. Thanks for the photos.
09-02-2015 12:32 PM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Great pics and typical late summer weather. Glad you could get out ferret. The rain is pouring down here as we catch the remains of T.S. Erik.

Maybe I'll be able to get out tomorrow if the road is not too muddy.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
09-02-2015 03:09 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Silverbub, Tea was actually a cold bottle of Lipton Green Tea Citrus

Jrns, Helmet is an HJC CL Max 2 Modular. I like it a lot, and it's reasonable priced. Probably more of a round head shaped helmet. When it was cold I could feel the cold air coming thru the head vents, so I know they work, it's just that there's no cold air out there now lol. Chin vent not so sure about, but I am always riding with my shield cracked open a little even in the winter. I like feeling air on my face.

Drodg.. Yea but it won't be long and we will be wanting some protection from the cold. Where the heck did summer go?

Birds thundering loudly out there now. may not get in an evening ride. it takes a gulf coast hurricane to affect our weather. Jet Stream controls our weather. Had our first 90 degree day in a month today they are saying on the news as I type. Been a pretty mild summer actually. Headed back down your way ( N.C.) next week for the Men's Fall Trip. Going to hit some roads we've never been on.

Defender of the Realm
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2015 03:23 PM by The ferret.)
09-02-2015 03:21 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Great pics. It's been hot here too. I just haven't had much chance to ride. Always good to get a vicarious ride in, though.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
09-03-2015 03:44 AM
Catbird Offline
1st Service Completed

Virginia
Is that a leather jacket you're wearing in picture #7?

Attached File(s) Image(s)

1974 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

[i]... continuing to work on my insanity defense.[/i]
09-03-2015 04:58 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Yes, it was only 65 when I took off and 77 when I got home so the leather jacket felt good, plus its got good venting (I did open up the chest vents on the way home)

I didn't get to ride in the afternoon, but would have been wearing a mesh jacket if I had, since it was 90 degrees by 3 pm.

PS will be leaving for this mornings ride in about 15 minutes, so will be sporting the leather again today.

Defender of the Realm
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015 05:08 AM by The ferret.)
09-03-2015 05:07 AM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
Nice pictures Thumbs Up and I can identify with that weather too.
Up here in the far north east our dog days can't compare to yours, but when it gets humid and up into the mid 80's, that's too hot for me. Too hot to ride or do much of anything physical outside.
Much of August was like that and it's going to continue for a while into September.
At least the nights are cool now.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
09-03-2015 05:28 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
That is a very good story, Ferret. In th . . .Gone in 60 — 02:26 PM
Good story, Ferret. I had something sim . . .peterbaron — 02:10 PM