Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Quietest helmet?
drodg58 Offline
Running Like a Top

Indiana
RE: Quietest helmet?
I rode tonight with my C3 and ear plugs with the larger head liner. It is very very windy tonight and it was quiet and very comfortable but I have to get use to that chin strap. Thanks everyone.
10-01-2015 03:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CB4ME Offline
Road Warrior

Maryland
(10-01-2015 03:43 PM)drodg58 Wrote:  I rode tonight with my C3 and ear plugs with the larger head liner. It is very very windy tonight and it was quiet and very comfortable but I have to get use to that chin strap. Thanks everyone.

Yes there's no D ring or anything to secure the helmet to the bike and the ratchet type chin strap require getting used to. But it's much quicker on and off and can even be secured with one hand.

I need to remember to make sure the face shield locks into place. My HJC modular was easier.

[size=xx-small]Accessories by: Agras, BabyFace, Chic Design, Daytona, Endurance, Force Design, Honda, K&H, K&N, Magic Racing, MotoGear, Moriwaki, Ohlins, PBI Sprockets, Posh, Power Commander, Ryujin, SP Takegawa, SP Tadao, SW Motech, TSR, U-Kanaya, WM, XAM Sprockets [/size]
10-02-2015 05:13 AM
drodg Offline
1st Service Completed

Indiana
I never thought about the fact that you cannot attach the helmet to the bike until you said that. After I replaced the liner this week with a large and rode yesterday in very strong head winds I am pretty sold. It is nice helmet just different than my Arais I have been wearing over the years. Have a good weekend.
10-02-2015 06:57 AM
GoldOxide Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Southern Ontario, Canada
Overall, I would say Arai. Most models, even 3/4 face I find surprisingly quiet with face shield down. The prices aren't too far over the top, but quality is top notch. Of course, many Arai's tend to fit narrow'ish heads, but mine seems to fit my fat head. Ah well.

I should say that for all helmets, I wear ear protection for any rides involving 80 km/h and higher (i.e. no urban rides).

>>> Spring is an extension to the riding season. ¯\(ツ)/¯ <<<
02-01-2019 09:08 PM
Bigskyorbust Offline
1st Service Completed

Georgia
Quietest helmet?
I can guarantee this one is not . My absolute favorite though...İmage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02-02-2019 07:37 AM
cblais19 Offline
1st Service Completed

Virginia
(02-01-2019 09:08 PM)GoldOxide Wrote:  Overall, I would say Arai. Most models, even 3/4 face I find surprisingly quiet with face shield down. The prices aren't too far over the top, but quality is top notch. Of course, many Arai's tend to fit narrow'ish heads, but mine seems to fit my fat head. Ah well.

I should say that for all helmets, I wear ear protection for any rides involving 80 km/h and higher (i.e. no urban rides).

Arai is the only company offering 3 different helmet shapes for different heads (round/long/intermediate oval). Their newer helmets have also gotten much quieter - the Quantum and Signet -X helmets have been noted in reviews to be very good in that regard.

They’re also one of the few companies that makes a helmet specifically designed from a venting and shape perspective for naked/standard bikes (the Defiant) - which is what I’m wearing on the CB. however I also always wear high NRR earplugs.

I think that for absolute quiet, there’s little doubt that the Schuberth line holds the crown there. However, a significant part of that is achieved by a very tight neck roll and minimal vent cutouts to minimize turbulent airflow. I’m not sure theyr’e all that comfortable once you hit hot and humid weather like in much of the SE US.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2019 08:07 AM by cblais19.)
02-02-2019 08:06 AM
GoldOxide Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Southern Ontario, Canada
(02-02-2019 08:06 AM)cblais19 Wrote:  
(02-01-2019 09:08 PM)GoldOxide Wrote:  Overall, I would say Arai. Most models, even 3/4 face I find surprisingly quiet with face shield down. The prices aren't too far over the top, but quality is top notch. Of course, many Arai's tend to fit narrow'ish heads, but mine seems to fit my fat head. Ah well.

Arai is the only company offering 3 different helmet shapes for different heads (round/long/intermediate oval). Their newer helmets have also gotten much quieter - the Quantum and Signet -X helmets have been noted in reviews to be very good in that regard.

They’re also one of the few companies that makes a helmet specifically designed from a venting and shape perspective for naked/standard bikes (the Defiant) - which is what I’m wearing on the CB. however I also always wear high NRR earplugs.

I think that for absolute quiet, there’s little doubt that the Schuberth line holds the crown there. However, a significant part of that is achieved by a very tight neck roll and minimal vent cutouts to minimize turbulent airflow. I’m not sure theyr’e all that comfortable once you hit hot and humid weather like in much of the SE US.

Thumbs Up When the Gulf of Mexico is in a bad mood, southern Ontario is as bad and sometimes worse than Georgia and Florida in the summer. It might be a Great Lake affect. Chicago is terrible in summer too.

There is no relief for Floridians migrating to southern Ontario in July/August. They have to go to Quebec or the Arctic to get it.

>>> Spring is an extension to the riding season. ¯\(ツ)/¯ <<<
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2019 12:01 PM by GoldOxide.)
02-02-2019 11:58 AM
motoWest Offline
Break-In Period

Wisconsin
Overall I'm happy with the noise level of my Shoei RF-SR. It's a massive upgrade in terms of sound over my Biltwell Gringo S. However, I will say that my Gringo was one size too big, so it's not a 1-to-1 comparison.

Either way, I'll probably looking into ear plugs for this upcoming summer.
01-31-2020 03:24 PM
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
For those of us who use Shoei helmets and want to make them a bit quieter they sell inserts with noise dampners in various sizes. Less expensive on Amazon but excellent info and sizing data on Shoei website.

I’d love to find the helmet equivalent of Maxwell Q. Smarts cone of silence for riding but .......

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
06-25-2020 07:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
4 Paws, you won't. Ear plugs are a must, but even they won't give you the cone of silence.
06-26-2020 02:51 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,752

Full Statistics

>