Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Installing an 02 sensor eliminator
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
RE: Installing an 02 sensor eliminator
I guess I don't need one since it would be inconceivable to ride my CB1100 around with the engine at 1500 RPM, lol. But I would strongly suggest doing a dyno run and get an A/F ratio chart to make sure the engine isn't running LEANER at higher RPMs, which is of course not very good for it. Not very good at all.

The ECU goes to a default map when you install this thing, it has no idea what to do, and cannot make changes in real time based on the exhaust.
05-04-2016 12:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aschem Offline
Running Like a Top

S.E. Idaho
Just installed full exhaust and installed the O2 sensor eliminator and bike runs better than it did with stock exhaust and O2 sensor installed.

13 CB1100 (sold)
16 Bandit 1250S
05-04-2016 12:57 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(05-04-2016 12:57 PM)aschem Wrote:  Just installed full exhaust and installed the O2 sensor eliminator and bike runs better than it did with stock exhaust and O2 sensor installed.
Reflash the ECU? Or plug-n-pray?
05-04-2016 02:27 PM
Gumby 1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
(05-04-2016 12:29 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  I guess I don't need one since it would be inconceivable to ride my CB1100 around with the engine at 1500 RPM, lol. But I would strongly suggest doing a dyno run and get an A/F ratio chart to make sure the engine isn't running LEANER at higher RPMs, which is of course not very good for it. Not very good at all.

The ECU goes to a default map when you install this thing, it has no idea what to do, and cannot make changes in real time based on the exhaust.

The following would suggest that the O2 Sensor does not provide real-time data to the ECU at higher RPM and that it is primarily to assure EPA compliance at idle and low RPM:
How Does An o2 Eliminator Work?

The O2 sensor which is installed in the stock exhaust systems of motorcycles are used by the Manufacturer to adjust the fuelling in order to pass the emission tests for street homologation.

This is done only in a very limited RPM range under certain load situations. The intention behind it is not to improve the performance of the machine. It's aimed to reduce the emissions of the engine in the specific RPM/Load situations which are tested during the homologation process.

This can result in delayed throttle response or unsteady power delivery. If you replace your silencer or exhaust system or fuelling, it's suggested to remove the installed sensor and replace it with this eliminator.

The eliminator simulates the signal given from the O2 sensor under optimal A/F ratio conditions. This allows the bike to run under best performance conditions.

If you install an aftermarket exhaust, remove the catalyst, install a power commander or perform similar modifications we strongly suggest installation of an O2 sensor eliminator for the best performance of your machine.

Ulvetanna,

Do you have evidence to support your view and that the use of the O2 Sensor Eliminator WITHOUT the use of a Power Commander or ECU Reflash might be dangerous?...Because, there are a lot of CB1100 owners running these Eliminator plugs, and ALL have noticed a marked improvement in drivability. Are the typical PCV charts for the CB really adding much fuel in the upper RPM ranges?

2014 CB1100A (Canadian) #068 (Sold)
2018 Harley-Davidson Road King
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 08:33 AM by Gumby 1100.)
05-06-2016 08:23 AM
aschem Offline
Running Like a Top

S.E. Idaho
(05-04-2016 02:27 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 12:57 PM)aschem Wrote:  Just installed full exhaust and installed the O2 sensor eliminator and bike runs better than it did with stock exhaust and O2 sensor installed.
Reflash the ECU? Or plug-n-pray?
No re-flash, and I am currently happy with the performance. Much better than stock and for some unknown reason, I feel less buzz in my handlebars; maybe the reduced weight of the exhaust?

13 CB1100 (sold)
16 Bandit 1250S
05-06-2016 08:28 AM
olekzap Offline
1st Service Completed

Seattle, WA
(05-04-2016 12:29 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  I guess I don't need one since it would be inconceivable to ride my CB1100 around with the engine at 1500 RPM, lol. But I would strongly suggest doing a dyno run and get an A/F ratio chart to make sure the engine isn't running LEANER at higher RPMs, which is of course not very good for it. Not very good at all.

Lol, I don't ride at that RPM very often but being in Seattle, there is usually traffic to deal with. It's easier to roll along at just above idle in stop and go traffic rather than work the clutch the whole time.
05-06-2016 10:35 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(05-06-2016 08:23 AM)Gumby 1100 Wrote:  The following would suggest that the O2 Sensor does not provide real-time data to the ECU at higher RPM and that it is primarily to assure EPA compliance at idle and low RPM

Gumby, this is my understanding as well after discussing this topic with my mechanic friend who previously worked for Honda in a fairly technical capacity. I brought it up as I was wondering how my CB would respond to variations in altitude when riding around mountains without the O2 sensor.

(05-06-2016 10:35 AM)olekzap Wrote:  Lol, I don't ride at that RPM very often but being in Seattle, there is usually traffic to deal with. It's easier to roll along at just above idle in stop and go traffic rather than work the clutch the whole time.

Exactly. If I wasn't using my bike for commuting, then this might not be as much of an issue, but here in Portland I deal with similar conditions on a regular basis. The difference the 02 sensor eliminator has made when commuting is not insignificant by any means.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
05-06-2016 04:19 PM
aschem Offline
Running Like a Top

S.E. Idaho
Where I live elevation is roughly 4,800 ft. I ride in the mountains of E. Idaho and W. Wyoming (5K-8K) and in the Arco/Snake River desert and bike runs much better with the O2 sensor eliminator installed.

13 CB1100 (sold)
16 Bandit 1250S
05-06-2016 06:43 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
OK..so did everyone buy this from the UK EBay seller or is there a more local source?

Also, did anyone buy and install the blanking plug?

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 07:43 PM by EmptySea.)
05-06-2016 07:31 PM
Gumby 1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
(05-06-2016 07:31 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  OK..so did everyone buy this from the UK EBay seller or is there a more local source?

Also, did anyone buy and install the blanking plug?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/o2-Oxygen-Lambda...GJ&vxp=mtr

This is where I got mine and it came with the blanking plug. However, I have not taken the time to drop my exhaust in order to install the blanking plug. There does not seem to be any way to remove the O2 Sensor from the stock exhaust without doing so, and it helps to have the removal tool or a modified socket or box wrench.

As for other sources for the Eliminator Plug, I haven't found one this side of the pond. However, if you contact Power Commander Customer Service, you may be able to order a replacement for what they call an Optimizer Plug, but you would probably pay more than the UK ebay version.

2014 CB1100A (Canadian) #068 (Sold)
2018 Harley-Davidson Road King
05-06-2016 08:16 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Looking back at your offer, that is very . . .Gone in 60 — 11:59 AM
The same bike not even broken in with . . .m in sc — 11:53 AM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
Chilly but sunny day and another 87 mile . . .peterbaron — 11:51 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
:clap:peterbaron — 11:50 AM
The same bike not even broken in with 1, . . .Ollie — 11:46 AM
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM

[-]