Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Installing an 02 sensor eliminator
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Installing an 02 sensor eliminator
Thanks to Gumby 1100 for this How To and to Siggy Javotnik for the explanation directly below

1. Installing an O2 eliminator (a resistor) can soften snatchy throttle response, especially at small throttle openings or on/off throttle. It can also fix the hunting/surging that some folks experience at small throttle openings.

2. It is not necessary to physically remove the O2 sensor, and it's a royal PITA to do so unless you have the right slotted wrench. (This is somewhat controversial -- some people posit that physical removal is smart because the O2 sensor will "fail" if it's not connected to the ECU. I respectfully disagree, because I can't see why that would be true. The O2 sensor is not heated or cleaned by dint of being hooked up to the ECU).

3. Installing an O2 eliminator will make your bike run richer and therefore cooler and may slightly adversely affect fuel economy (I found it negligible or non-existent, but YMMV. In fact, I experienced a slight increase in fuel economy, but that makes zero sense and I can't explain it so I chalk it up to user error).

4. If your bike fuels nicely with the stock setup, don't bother with the O2 eliminator. If, on the other hand, you have fueling problems at low throttle, it's a cheap experiment to see if it fixes the problem (it seems like it usually does).

5. Many aftermarket or race exhaust systems require or include an O2 eliminator, and simply do not have a physical threaded hole for the O2 sensor.

Siggy

After delaying the install of my O2 Eliminator Plug for several months (long enough to do the_undecider proud), I cannot believe that I waited this long!

I bought it on a whim because I never thought that I had any real fueling issues...no real surging (speed/rpm fluctuations) or low speed drivability issues....or so I thought. Adding this simple plug was literally like installing a poor man's Power Commander!

I realize now that the O2 sensor was causing the fueling to lean out or shut off abruptly every time I rolled off the throttle. With the plug, shifting is now much easier to rev match and engine braking is reduced which greatly smooths out the driving experience.

Previously, driving at low speeds in first and especially in second was harsh, raspy and abrupt (clearly it was running too lean). I had to formerly stay on the throttle and precisely balance clutch feathering, especially when cornering, but no more. I can now effortlessly tool around in second and cornering is much more relaxing.

After one tank of gas, my mileage does not seem to have dropped off noticeably, if at all...more driving will be required, and it will definitely be more enjoyable!

Arguably, an O2 Eliminator Plug is the best bang for the buck on a CB1100. Even as just an experiment, it is well worth the few dollars and the few minutes it takes to install.

PART:

O2 Sensor Eliminator Plug Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/o2-Oxygen-Lamb...339ac11f47

PROCESS:

I found the photos on the UK forum, hopefully they show enough detail...if not, I'll take some of my own ( see photos in following post)

In short:

1) Remove Right Side Cover
2) Disconnect O2 Lambda Sensor (Trace the line down to the header just to be safe and to be sure it is the right connector)
3) Plug in the Sensor Eliminator
4) I Put a small plastic bag over the side of the connector leading to the O2 Lambda Sensor to keep moisture out and in case I needed to reconnect it (such as if an EPA emissions test was ever required).

On my 2014 Canadian, the O2 Sensor Lead insulation was black and weave-textured too. The other lead in the same clear shroud had a white P/N tag on it that may have read: 32102-MGC-N300 which I think, is ABS related.

Gumby 1100

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2015 06:58 PM by The ferret.)
09-21-2015 03:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gumby 1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
RE: Installing an 02 sensor eliminator
Here are the photos showing the connector location behind the right side cover:

On my bike it was the lowest connector behind the side cover, paired inside the clear cover with what I think was an ABS connector. The O2 Sensor Connector Lead had insulation that was black with a weave type texture. It is not too difficult to verify that this is the correct lead by following it down to the exhaust.

As you can see, this is one of the cheapest and simplest mods you can do to your CB1100. It is quickly reverse-able, but I certainly don't want to go back to the way the bike was before. Like I wrote earlier, I didn't think that anything was wrong with my bike's fueling, until I did this $24 CAD modification. I've spent much more on fuel managers for other bikes and the results were not much better. Because of that, I would suggest the following: If you think your bike needs a Power Commander, go ahead and buy one. However, you should plug in the Sensor Eliminator First (one comes with each Power Commander) and test drive the bike. Then install the Power Commander and test the bike again. I'm going to go out on a limb by saying that one or more of those Power Commanders might just be returned for credit by those who cannot justify the expense vs benefit ratio. (Please note that I am not inviting an argument here by Power Commander owners. I know that they provide many benefits...some of which the thriftier among us may not be able to justify.) Wink

Note: My 2014 Canadian Model has the 4 into 1 exhaust and only ONE O2 Sensor. IF you have a 2014 DLX or EX with the 4 into 2 exhaust it will have TWO O2 Sensors and will require a second Sensor Eliminator Plug. I believe that the left side O2 Sensor connector may be behind the Left Side Cover...but hopefully someone else can confirm this.

...hope this helps!

2014 CB1100A (Canadian) #068 (Sold)
2018 Harley-Davidson Road King
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2015 07:11 PM by Gumby 1100.)
09-21-2015 04:31 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Thanks Gumby, much appreciated.

Defender of the Realm
09-21-2015 07:00 PM
modmaster Offline
1st Service Completed

So. Milw. WI
Ferret. I was able to purchase a used Staintune from a fellow on the forum and I was wondering if I will need one of these Os eliminators when I install the new muffler on my bike? There is no Os bung on the Staintune.

modmaster

Bikes currently owned: 2015 FZ-07 fully modded, 2013 CB1100, clear Sport windshield, throttle lock, Staintune, adj. levers, modified OEM seat, Tec Usa piggyback adj. shocks, barbacks, Jet-Hot coating, gutted Cat, reflash, gaiters, OS elim, TSR air cov., red side covers.
01-27-2016 07:54 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
The Staintune is a slip on muffler, which is located aft of the O2 sensor I believe, so short answer NO

Defender of the Realm
01-27-2016 08:08 PM
modmaster Offline
1st Service Completed

So. Milw. WI
OOps.You know it just hit me right before I received your post that it would be in the converter portion. I'm going to order one of those as it worked well when I did that to my FZ-07. Will I need some special wrench to get it out or can I just vise grip it out? Boy that sounds crude hey. Yeah I'll just rip it out. Heh Heh

modmaster

Bikes currently owned: 2015 FZ-07 fully modded, 2013 CB1100, clear Sport windshield, throttle lock, Staintune, adj. levers, modified OEM seat, Tec Usa piggyback adj. shocks, barbacks, Jet-Hot coating, gutted Cat, reflash, gaiters, OS elim, TSR air cov., red side covers.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2016 08:38 PM by modmaster.)
01-27-2016 08:20 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Special wrench or modified box end wrench

See picture part way down page..post 6

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....light=tool

Defender of the Realm
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2016 08:45 PM by The ferret.)
01-27-2016 08:34 PM
modmaster Offline
1st Service Completed

So. Milw. WI
Wow! Thanks for the link to that picture. Truly is worth a thousand words. I don't have the bike here physically so that doesn't help either. Now I know. I will make my own special socket. Hey your not a bad guy for a moderatorSmile

modmaster

01-27-2016 08:55 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Lol..yea you say that now.....

Defender of the Realm
01-27-2016 08:58 PM
olekzap Offline
1st Service Completed

Seattle, WA
Figured I would give my experience with this modification here. I installed it a week ago and it has changed how the throttle feels on the CB for the better. I can easily keep the throttle steady at 1500 RPM in 1st or 2nd in traffic now. Before it would hunt around and jerk a bit and was obviously running lean. I want to say there's slightly more power throughout the entire RPM range but that could just be because it feels better overall. I highly recommend anyone try out this mod since it's so cheap and easily reversible.
05-04-2016 12:22 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 . . .misterprofessionality — 04:31 AM
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 mod . . .m in sc — 03:32 AM