Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
when are these bikes actually out of gas??
JustPassinThru Offline
Running Like a Top

Montana
RE: when are these bikes actually out of gas??
(10-09-2015 04:27 PM)Pterodactyl Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 04:13 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Jeff experience on the board says it will continue to loosen up and get better mileage until the 2000 mile mark

That's true. I consistently get better economy now than I did in the first 15000kms. I sometimes wonder if it is better throttle control when feeling very at home on the bike. Maybe, maybe just engine function.

Cheers

And JPT, I can't see your video.

Cheers

I can't see it either. Maybe Yoob Toob changed its linking policy.

You can cut-n-paste after you call it up in a quote box...it's about a guy who sets fire to his motorcycle at a gas pump. Nothing overly remarkable, aside from the general mayhem.
10-09-2015 04:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I fill my frank on the center stand because I've found that it's an easier routine for me...gives me a chance to stretch my legs, allows me to see into the tank a bit better, and I think I get just a wee bit more gas in the tank that way. Safety wasn't a factor in my choice.

It may be true that if you displace the air bubble in the tank you run the risk of the fuel expanding and overflowing the tank somehow, but I fill to the bottom of the filler neck, let it settle, fill some more, and repeat this a couple of times until the fuel stops receding. I do not fill it all the way to the top of the neck and maybe that's why I have never had fuel expand out of the tank. I think it's much more of a potential issue than an actual issue. Of course, I seldom fill it all the way up and then park it in the sun. Rather, I usually am back riding after a fill up and maybe that burns off enough fuel prior to any expansion of it.

As long as you don't fill all the way up the neck, it's been my experience that you'll be fine displacing the air bubbles.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
10-09-2015 10:11 PM
jeffskar Offline
Break-In Period

wyoming
I'm guessing that if you fill her up as much as possible, maybe a cup more than the bottom of the neck, you're at a gas station, and still have to ride home, or ride somewhere, you'll be fine, and won't expand gas out of your tank, unless you live next door to a gas station.
10-10-2015 07:03 AM
JustPassinThru Offline
Running Like a Top

Montana
Add to this mix: There's an evaporative canister somewhere.

If you overfill some cars, liquid gas washes into the canister and ruins it. I recall being told it would mess up the fuel-injection logic feedback loop...don't recall the specifics.

That may, or may not, be also true of this bike.

Bottom line: If I'm rolling, on a road trip and going to ride right away...I'll fill it up as much as I can squeeze in. I've put a quart or more in past where it first gave me false-fulls...the gas up to the rim and then seeps down as air bleeds out. I'm overfilling it; but if I'm gonna get right back on the road and roll, it won't matter.

If it's going into the garage...or even just gonna sit for an hour for lunch...or overnight, even...no. Fill it up where Honda-san intended we fill it, and leave it. Quart of gas is only 14 miles, anyway...
10-10-2015 07:17 AM
Lord Popgun Online
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
We do have that possibility, but as yet, no reports on the board that it has happened as far as I can remember. There was a thread about it a while back.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
10-10-2015 07:44 AM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
Just don't forget the warning so vividly illustrated in JPTs video. If doing a "super fill", before you thumb the start, check that the fuel overflow hasn't left a puddle of highly ignitable under the bike. It could lead to severe damage to your inner legs or, heaven forbid, your wedding tackle.

I believe that I related, in a long lost post, the aftermath of an incident that, as a young boy, I was unfortunate enough to witness the aftermath of. A bloke in a light truck "cooked" his wife and dog in a petrol explosion. Poor bloke never ever really got over the loss of that dog.

In short, take care and fill up safe.

Cheers
10-10-2015 04:18 PM
jeffskar Offline
Break-In Period

wyoming
The last bar on my fuel gage started blinking at 130 miles. I'm going to strap a quart of gas to my seat, stay within 5 miles of a gas station and run it out, I'll figure how much fuel she'll take when completely out. Probably not today though, it's windy/crappy here today
10-11-2015 01:08 PM
jeffskar Offline
Break-In Period

wyoming
Up to 170 now!!! So at least 40 miles when the last bar begins to blink.
10-11-2015 07:34 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
no kidding....that's just a picture too. . . .misterprofessionality — 07:34 AM
It's fun to read all these comments... . . .peterbaron — 07:18 AM