Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What octane fuel you using?
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
RE: What octane fuel you using?
(10-15-2013 08:09 PM)Rboe Wrote:  Well the Germans were fond of using diesel in their armor. Smile Then there are railroad power units (where torque is King, diesel electrics).

But not even Harley makes a diesel electric. Now THAT would be a Bike!Excited

There's a company in Texas that is producing diesel-electric power systems for planing yachts and large sportfishing boats. The system (based on Siemens components designed originally for city buses) includes capacitor and battery reserves. When the boats accelerate "out of the hole," the diesel keeps running at a steady state, using far less fuel. Once at cruising speed the diesel is charging at about the same rate as the electric motors are discharging. The fuel savings is huge, but at the moment, the initial investment is big enough that it's almost a wash. However, if fuel prices go up a few bucks, the system will have a fast ROI and they should sell a boatload of them (har har har).

Go hagofuku yourself.
10-16-2013 08:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
Submarines! Worship Good point!

Spaceman; thanks for the heads up on the new marine application. I was not aware of that (no surprise, not aware of a lot of things!). Back when I used to get Wooden Boat Magazine it was explained that gas motors were best in applications where power was applied in varying levels over short periods of time and diesels excelled in applications where motors were run in a steady state for the most part. I think this applies to a lot of engine application whether on land sea or air (or under the sea as the case may be).

When it came to exotic power plants for yachts and what not turbines were the go to engine. Amazing to see pics of a 80 foot yacht on plane powered by a couple or three turbines.

Guess we diverged a bit off topic.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
10-16-2013 01:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ourfreedom Offline
Break-In Period

Tennessee
(07-08-2013 10:52 AM)Yoyodyne Wrote:  Unfortunately, for some of us the only way to get ethanol-free gas is to buy premium grade (aka 91 octane) gas, such as Shell V Power. Those of you who have access to 87 octane ethanol-free gas are in the ideal situation.

Pop's service station in Munford Tennessee has non-ethanol fuel in all octane levels. I use 87 and am getting a consistent 48 mpg and she has more power than I really ever use.

1965 CB160-1964 S90-2013 CB1100!
10-20-2013 09:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
OoOoOoOoOoOo purplemisterprofessionality — 06:11 AM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Mr. P: Sounds like another situation th . . .GoldOxide — 05:42 AM