Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
TALK ME OUT OF IT!
JustPassinThru Offline
Running Like a Top

Montana
TALK ME OUT OF IT!
I'm getting restless.

Long time ago, I **ALMOST** pulled the trigger on a V-Strom 650.

I have logged high mileage this year. MOST of it was touring. With jerry-rigged duffels, strap-tied to the luggage rack.

I was a bit disappointed in the not-so-smoothness of the Honda four. Although pleased no end with its fuel economy.

Now, I'm hearing from satisfied Wee-Strom riders. What does it for me...Cycle Ergonomics shows that the V-Strom 650 will fit me better.

I can spend money and invest frustration in dropped pegs, and raised seats - or sell and buy and have one that fits.

I love the retro look. If I were a rich man I'd keep it forever. But I'm far from rich.

I'm also far from the most logical. Trading...would, now, give me a net ZERO. What I owe is what it's worth. Big goose-egg.

Hanging on, is the smart plan. I had the expensive miles. The cheap miles are next year; and the following years.

But lust calls!
10-03-2015 07:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
RE: TALK ME OUT OF IT!
The Wee Strom is an excellent middleweight ADV bike. i ride with someone who has the new one and it does everything pretty well...except for attracting admiring glances. I have a Tiger 800, and I am a big fan of that type of machine. It will not give you the same warm and fuzzies as the CB1100, and you're not likely to stare at it in the garage. But if you are looking to tour a bit, load it up with luggage, take on some gravel roads, and do it all in comfort, the Strom is a good choice. And that V-twin is a good motor. Tough choice, the CB is a stunner. But they're cheap used and who knows, maybe in a few years you come back to the fold!

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
10-03-2015 07:41 PM
JustPassinThru Offline
Running Like a Top

Montana
(10-03-2015 07:41 PM)Capo Wrote:  The Wee Strom is an excellent middleweight ADV bike. i ride with someone who has the new one and it does everything pretty well...except for attracting admiring glances. I have a Tiger 800, and I am a big fan of that type of machine. It will not give you the same warm and fuzzies as the CB1100, and you're not likely to stare at it in the garage. But if you are looking to tour a bit, load it up with luggage, take on some gravel roads, and do it all in comfort, the Strom is a good choice. And that V-twin is a good motor. Tough choice, the CB is a stunner. But they're cheap used and who knows, maybe in a few years you come back to the fold!

That helps me choose.

I guess that, even though I can't afford it, I become a three-bike owner.
10-03-2015 07:51 PM
Brookland27 Offline
1st Service Completed

kent
You're an idiot those are hideous... Does that help? The tiger isn't so bad and its a triumph. I'd go that way if I wanted that sort of bike.
10-03-2015 07:54 PM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
I would not try to talk you out of a V-strom. Agree with all that Capo stated and of the two V-stroms my wife has had, a 2007 and now a 2012, our experience is that they are trouble free with little to do other than routine maintenance. They don't impress bystanders, they impress their owners. And they make for an excellent touring bike with some added hard luggage. And did I mention the gas mileage, 67 mpg on some trips.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
10-03-2015 08:02 PM
the_undecider Offline
Running Like a Top

Texas
I am on my 2nd V-strom 650. I had a 2006 I bought in 2009. I sold it in 2014 and bought the CB within a few months. I missed the comfort, versatility, wind protection, and not caring as much if it gets dirty, wet, scratched. I bought a 2013 in January and have enjoyed it a lot.

The newer generation (2012+) has just enough refinements to make it noticeably different than the old bike. The stock suspension is a lot more appropriate to full-size (i.e. beer and burger loving) men. I had installed heavier springs on my 2006 which was a bandaid fix without increasing the rebound damping capabilities (I did put heavier fork oil in which helped, but also messes with your compression damping). This 2013 just feels so much better out of the box. I have no need to upgrade suspension bits.

The engine is now based off the Gladius and has a slightly more low and mid range power than the old SV based mill. It's a bit smoother, too. I noticed the engine is a tad more revvy now that I have switched it over to full synthetic oil. It has the slightly lumpier cadence that a twin does, but it is quite happy sitting at 6k rpm and cruising at 80 mph.

If you get one, I recommend some basic farkles: centerstand, skid plate, and engine guards. Any bike with a chain needs a way to lift up the rear end for cleaning and service be it a paddock stand or center stand. The skid plate may look overkill if you don't plan to go off the pavement, but that oil filter and exhaust header is just too vulnerable down there. Givi makes a pretty light weight plate if all you need is protection from road debris. Engine guards will also protect all the plastics in case of a tip over. There are a ton of other things you can buy for these.

There are two complaints I have about the bike. The biggest are the brakes. I love having ABS, but these need more bite. I need to try and bleed mine just to make sure I don't have any air in the system. My 06 was this way and I read that they just have a bit of mushiness at the lever. There is a lot of lever travel before you feel them bite. I am also going to try some different pads. Some like upgrading to stainless braided lines, but I think modern OEM lines are pretty stiff. A lot of the perceived performance gain could be from having freshly bled brakes.

The other is wind management, or buffeting. I have a Givi Airflow adjustable screen and that is nice. Some get some buffeting from the stock mirrors and a common upgrade is the Aprilia Tuono mirror (around $50 for a pair) as well as brackets that space the mirrors out. I have found a lot of air coming around the top of the fairing, flowing around the gas tank plastics, and then the current turns up at my torso and buffets the helmet from the bottom side. There is a guy on the Stromtrooper forum that makes a set of wind wings to address this. I ended up making my own and was pleased with the results.

If you really are considering getting one, don't hesitate to reply here with questions or send me a private message.

2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Honda CRF450L
2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
10-03-2015 08:39 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(10-03-2015 07:27 PM)JustPassinThru Wrote:  But lust calls!

There is nothing like the element of passion to fuel a motorcycle purchase.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
10-03-2015 10:14 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Yep. That's why I have a CB in a garage full of BMW's.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
10-03-2015 11:12 PM
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
A riding buddy of mine bought a '13 V-Strom 650 and enjoyed it but said it didn't have quite enough grunt while loaded down. He traded it in on a '15 V-Strom 1000 and is quite happy with it. All farkled up with hard bags and some aftermarket lights and armor it is a pretty competent looking machine.

Not my cuppa tea however
10-04-2015 06:35 AM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
I've only spent a very short period of time on one. In the parking lot. Loved it. I'd say go for it. Keep the CB if you can; it scratches a different itch.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
10-04-2015 10:23 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
It's fun to read all these comments... . . .peterbaron — 07:18 AM