Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I drive the Polaris Slingshot
the_undecider Offline
Running Like a Top

Texas
Ever since these came out, I have wanted to ride/drive one. I know most of the people that work at the local motorcycle/atv dealers and one invited me to test drive this last weekend. It was too close to their closing time and I didn't have my helmet (dealer requires it, but I technically don't have to wear it per state law). So, I decided to drag my dad with me so he could check it out and he brought my nephew along who rode shotgun with both of us when we tested it.

These are an absolute hoot! I think that Polaris has done a great job making a fun vehicle for a somewhat reasonable price. I saw somewhat reasonable because I think there are better things on which to spend your money. I feel like the novelty of driving it might wear off after a while. I think a Can-Am Spyder would be interesting to test ride to compare. I have a feeling I would prefer it as it is closer to a motorcycle. This is too much like a car for me to deal with the compromises in usability (no roof, little storage, lack of climate control, takes up as much space as a car).

This is a great effort by Polaris to make something unique. I am certainly not even in the market for something like this. If I was, and if I had the money, I would have a hard time overlooking something along the lines of a Mazda Miata.

2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Honda CRF450L
2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
10-03-2015 08:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
clearviewx Offline
High Mileage

Western Mass
RE: I drive the Polaris Slingshot
Thanks for posting.

2014 CB1100 Deluxe #244Excited
2002 CB750 Nighthawk #549Celebrate
You should of bought a DLX
10-04-2015 07:15 AM
metallyguitarded Offline
Road Warrior

United States
Looks like it would be fun to rent but not something I would want to own. Sounds good too. Your nephew is funny - "Where are the doors?" "Why are you talking so much?"

"People are more violently opposed to fur than to leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs." - A. Sayle
10-04-2015 10:37 AM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
OK, I had a close encounter with one, and I'm not on board. First, please note the size of it next to my svelte and lovely little Lotus Elise...which is an entire car with four wheels. Consider the fact that the Slingshot is considered a MOTORCYCLE, but has a GM four cylinder engine and trans.. while the Lotus is, well, a car.

I'm all for these unique and interesting things, and I'm sure it's a hoot to drive. The Morgan 3- wheeler, now that is cool.

[/align]

Attached File(s) Image(s)

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
10-04-2015 07:31 PM
the_undecider Offline
Running Like a Top

Texas
(10-04-2015 10:37 AM)metallyguitarded Wrote:  Looks like it would be fun to rent but not something I would want to own. Sounds good too. Your nephew is funny - "Where are the doors?" "Why are you talking so much?"

That kid always has something funny to say. He has my sister's off-beat sense of humor.

I think you hit the nail on the head about the Slingshot being perfect for a rental. I think the cost is reasonable given the low production compared to typically mass-produced vehicles, but it's too far down the road of a novelty vehicle.

(10-04-2015 07:31 PM)Capo Wrote:  OK, I had a close encounter with one, and I'm not on board. First, please note the size of it next to my svelte and lovely little Lotus Elise...which is an entire car with four wheels. Consider the fact that the Slingshot is considered a MOTORCYCLE, but has a GM four cylinder engine and trans.. while the Lotus is, well, a car.

I'm all for these unique and interesting things, and I'm sure it's a hoot to drive. The Morgan 3- wheeler, now that is cool.

[/align]

Capo, I think you make a valid point. I hadn't considered the Elise as an alternative to the Slingshot because I assumed it was much more expensive. It looks like you can pick up a used one more close to the cost of the deluxe model Slingshot. I wonder I'd cars like the Elise and Evora will ever stop depreciating like other exotic brands despite being powered by Toyota drivetrain that make them a little less bespoke. Porsche Box stern are getting crazy cheap for the first gen models, so there is another car that might stand as a better buy.

2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Honda CRF450L
2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 08:01 PM by the_undecider.)
10-04-2015 07:51 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
A used 2006 Elise is around $30k. In 5 years it will be $30k. It neither appreciates nor depreciates at this point, but bang for the buck, there is nothing close.

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
Probably others.
10-04-2015 08:22 PM
ClassicVW Offline
High Mileage

New Jersey, USA
I'd absolutely choose an Elise over the Slingshot.

Probably similar performance...
Elise- 1.8L engine 190HP curb weight- 1984lbs. Slingshot- 2.4L engine 173HP curb weight- 1718lbs.

--George
[i]"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day that you find out why" [/i]-- Mark Twain
10-05-2015 07:29 AM
the_undecider Offline
Running Like a Top

Texas
(10-04-2015 08:22 PM)Capo Wrote:  A used 2006 Elise is around $30k. In 5 years it will be $30k. It neither appreciates nor depreciates at this point, but bang for the buck, there is nothing close.

So, these are at the bottom of their depreciation curve. That's how you buy something. The later models with the Toyota drivetrain ought to be pretty reliable. I'd rather have one than this Polaris.

2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Honda CRF450L
2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
10-05-2015 07:47 AM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
I've had mine for 5 years, tracked it pretty hard, and other than some stuff falling off here and there, it's been bulletproof.

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
Probably others.
10-05-2015 09:07 AM
slolane Offline
1st Service Completed

Grand Rapids Michigan
I have owned a slingshot for a year now and its a blast to drive. The closest thing I can compare it to is a go-kart. I can't call it a car or motorcycle I have had lots of motorcycles and a couple Z06 Corvettes. There is no heat , a/c, or top ( unless you go aftermarket ) but either does a bike. I sold my beloved 02 1800 Goldwing to buy it because after having both hips replaced I didn't feel comfortable with the heavy bike. I have the itch for two wheels again and that's what brings me to this forum and the CB1100. I needed something narrow and light and the CB feels just right. This is a picture of my slingshot
04-06-2016 03:33 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
I am grateful for a cage that keeps me w . . .GoldOxide — 06:30 PM
:rofl:The ferret — 06:04 PM