Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
Dart developing flyscreen for CB1100
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
RE: Dart developing flyscreen for CB1100
That bevel drive on the W bikes is awesome. That's one of my favorite little surprises about those bikes. Ever see the bevel cover on the Ducati's complete with the glass viewing window? Surely someone came up with such an accessory for the W650 / W800. I'd have to have one of those if I owned a W bike.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
07-13-2013 12:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(07-12-2013 05:17 PM)Scoobynut Wrote:  I'm not sure if we're playing trivia now, or if you just don't know! Big Grin I'm not sure about any parallel twins that might've had the bevel drive, but I know classic Ducatis did at one time.

I didn't know and couldn't find a British bike with a shaft (bevel) driven camshaft although I could have sworn I'd seen one in the past. I knew Ducati used them. It was bugging me so I did a little research and finally found it. The bike photo I saw a long time ago was a late 1940's to early 1950's Norton 500cc single which had a bevel drive on the right hand side of it's cylinder.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
07-13-2013 02:34 AM
HondaJon Offline
Running Like a Top

Riverview FL
(07-12-2013 03:04 PM)Scoobynut Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 02:55 PM)ChipBeck Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 11:50 AM)Scoobynut Wrote:  Yeah, aren't those W800s gorgeous? I'd have one in a heartbeat if Kawasaki ever sold them here.

They did sell them here. When I bought my Bonneville I also looked at that Kawasaki. In many ways it was a better copy of the original Bonneville than the new Bonnie was. But I didn't like the strange shaft drive for the cams (still the biggest visual eyesore on that bike to me) and it was a Kawasaki and not a Triumph so I bought the Bonneville. They sold them here for a couple of years but they never moved well here in the states.

Chip

Chip, yep, I'm well aware they sold the W650 here, if only briefly, 2000-01, I believe. I know a guy who has four of them. It's too bad Kawasaki is gun shy about selling a retro because of that experience, but I think the W800 would do better now that retro design is more sought after. I do like that the W800 has a substantially larger motor than the 650 and is fuel-injected instead of carbs. Staintune makes a full system for the 800 that sounds fantastic from what I've heard in the youtube video. Oh, and I like the bevel drive shaft on the one side of the motor. Different strokes for different folks, eh?

The 800 wouldn't be enough to make me sell my 1100, but I'd like to have both. Smile

The problem is they brought back the wrong retro bike, Now a "New" Z1 in root beer brown and orange would be different. Wink

2013 CB 1100:
Motogear Cat Free Titanium Header
TSR Air Funnel
Staintune Muffler
Power Commander V (running TSR map)
K&N air filter
Argas fork brace
Dart Flyscreen
K&H seat
Honda chrome grab bar
Baren Classic Mirrors

2008 Suzuki B-King:
Factory stock

2016 CRF 450X:
JD Jetting Needle - K&N Filter
07-13-2013 04:54 AM
Scoobynut Offline
Running Like a Top

Dickinson, ND
(07-13-2013 02:34 AM)ChipBeck Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 05:17 PM)Scoobynut Wrote:  I'm not sure if we're playing trivia now, or if you just don't know! Big Grin I'm not sure about any parallel twins that might've had the bevel drive, but I know classic Ducatis did at one time.

I didn't know and couldn't find a British bike with a shaft (bevel) driven camshaft although I could have sworn I'd seen one in the past. I knew Ducati used them. It was bugging me so I did a little research and finally found it. The bike photo I saw a long time ago was a late 1940's to early 1950's Norton 500cc single which had a bevel drive on the right hand side of it's cylinder.

Chip

I vaguely remembered something along those lines, but had no idea it was a Norton single.
07-13-2013 09:27 AM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(07-13-2013 09:27 AM)Scoobynut Wrote:  I vaguely remembered something along those lines, but had no idea it was a Norton single.

Took a while but I found a decent photo of one. This is a 1951 Norton 500cc single. A pretty good looking bike. I bet one of these would cause quite a stir if you rode to your local "Cars & Coffee" on it.

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2013 02:17 PM by ChipBeck.)
07-13-2013 10:21 AM
Buffalohead Offline
Running Like a Top

Oklahoma
This retro movement is the best thing that has happened to motorcycles in eons. , especially the British bike look-alikes. I do love the CB11 but I would kill for a Kawi W800. With fuel injection, it would be much better than the W650 and sell better too. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like British bikes, I do. The Triumph is the BEST looking bike (except for maybe the Royal Enfield and I won't go there). But, reliability and build quality is too important to me. I'm afraid every time they come out with a Japan/British clone, I will HAVE to buy one. I already have a Suzuki TU250X. It's a great little bike and more fun than you'd think for a small bike.

I wish Kawi had waited and brought out the FI W800 before the W650 because I think it would have given them a better outlook on the retro market. I believe it would be much better suited to American bikers. Besides the W800, have you seen all of the retro bikes the Japanese guys are making that are not being imported here? If the Japanese keep coming out with these retro bikes here, I may have to go back to work!
07-13-2013 12:30 PM
jamboa Offline
1st Service Completed

[quote='Buffalohead' pid='7413' dateline='1373743847']
This retro movement is the best thing that has happened to motorcycles in eons. , especially the British bike look-alikes. I do love the CB11 but I would kill for a Kawi W800. With fuel injection, it would be much better than the W650 and sell better too. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like British bikes, I do. The Triumph is the BEST looking bike (except for maybe the Royal Enfield and I won't go there). But, reliability and build quality is too important to me. I'm afraid every time they come out with a Japan/British clone, I will HAVE to buy one. I already have a Suzuki TU250X. It's a great little bike and more fun than you'd think for a small bike.

I wish Kawi had waited and brought out the FI W800 before the W650 because I think it would have given them a better outlook on the retro market. I believe it would be much better suited to American bikers. Besides the W800, have you seen all of the retro bikes the Japanese guys are making that are not being imported here? If the Japanese keep coming out with these retro bikes here, I may have to go back to work!
[/quote
LOL! Yea my nightmares R that I am no longer retired and I had to run my business again. Talking about the Dart Screen I had a color matched one on my Scramble and they look good but do virtually nothing in the function department. I think the W800 is still too small a motor. I Had my 790 Bonneville bored to 904. That wome it up plenty.

13 Honda CB11
17 Triumph T-120 Bonnie Gloss Black
13 Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer

04 Triumph T100 Bonneville SE Light Crusier Touring Modded 904cc
07-13-2013 05:11 PM
Scoobynut Offline
Running Like a Top

Dickinson, ND
(07-13-2013 05:11 PM)jamboa Wrote:  Talking about the Dart Screen I had a color matched one on my Scramble and they look good but do virtually nothing in the function department.

I have a small screen (not a Dart, admittedly) on my Hawk GT and it functions exactly as I want it to; it keeps the wind off my chest and keeps my helmet in the clean airflow above. I'm hoping the Dart will function similarly on the CB1100, but am not expecting a Goldwing, cocoon-like level of protection. Am wondering if the Dart on your Scrambler kept any wind off your chest or not?
07-14-2013 07:52 AM
Yoyodyne Offline
1st Service Completed

Wisconsin
Bevel-drive Ducatis are highly sought after, they are considered by many to be the most desirable of the Ducati line. No cam chains or belts, just a straightforward mechanical connection...different from the gear-driven cams of older VFRs but just as cool IMHO.

(07-14-2013 07:52 AM)Scoobynut Wrote:  I have a small screen (not a Dart, admittedly) on my Hawk GT and it functions exactly as I want it to; it keeps the wind off my chest and keeps my helmet in the clean airflow above. I'm hoping the Dart will function similarly on the CB1100, but am not expecting a Goldwing, cocoon-like level of protection. Am wondering if the Dart on your Scrambler kept any wind off your chest or not?

Scooby, what screen do you have on your Hawk? I might end up putting something like that on my Hawk GT too...
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2013 08:05 AM by Yoyodyne.)
07-14-2013 08:04 AM
jamboa Offline
1st Service Completed

(07-14-2013 07:52 AM)Scoobynut Wrote:  
(07-13-2013 05:11 PM)jamboa Wrote:  Talking about the Dart Screen I had a color matched one on my Scramble and they look good but do virtually nothing in the function department.

I have a small screen (not a Dart, admittedly) on my Hawk GT and it functions exactly as I want it to; it keeps the wind off my chest and keeps my helmet in the clean airflow above. I'm hoping the Dart will function similarly on the CB1100, but am not expecting a Goldwing, cocoon-like level of protection. Am wondering if the Dart on your Scrambler kept any wind off your chest or not?
Yea it did keep some wind off my chest. It may be just what U R looking for. It sure does look good. I would not go clear. Color match it to the silver R the Red!

13 Honda CB11
17 Triumph T-120 Bonnie Gloss Black
13 Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer

04 Triumph T100 Bonneville SE Light Crusier Touring Modded 904cc
07-14-2013 08:16 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,754

Full Statistics

>