Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
head light removal
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
head light removal
On Saturday the chrome meter covers and head light shell finally arrived.It took 5 minutes the put the meter covers on but I have a heck of a job removing the plug attached to the light bulb.I have an service manual and push in the 2 little tabs but pulling it back with quite a force still does not make it come off.I do not want to break anything by using even more force,are they all that difficult to take off ?Putting the chrome shell on is very easy but I have to take the bulb connector of first! I do not think that I am that bad of a mechanic,I check valve clearings on my 1979 CBX but this baffles me.Thanks for help.John.
07-15-2013 06:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
RE: head light removal
I installed the accessory headlight shell. The connectors can be sticky, but they will come out. Some of them are difficult to get the tabs compressed enough to release while still being able to pull on them. It's almost a 3-handed job. You might try "exercising" the tabs with a tiny screwdriver to make them more pliable. The connectors are pretty sturdy, as long as you aren't pulling on the wires you can't hurt anything.

Keep working on it; they will disconnect. BTW: if you don't have the shop manual, pay close attention to, or take a picture of, how the wiring loom lays out in the shell before you remove it. It will only go together one way and it's a tight fit.

Go hagofuku yourself.
07-15-2013 06:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
(07-15-2013 06:43 AM)The Spaceman Wrote:  I installed the accessory headlight shell. The connectors can be sticky, but they will come out. Some of them are difficult to get the tabs compressed enough to release while still being able to pull on them. It's almost a 3-handed job. You might try "exercising" the tabs with a tiny screwdriver to make them more pliable. The connectors are pretty sturdy, as long as you aren't pulling on the wires you can't hurt anything.

Keep working on it; they will disconnect. BTW: if you don't have the shop manual, pay close attention to, or take a picture of, how the wiring loom lays out in the shell before you remove it. It will only go together one way and it's a tight fit.

Thanks,I will try again! John.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2013 08:45 AM by Houtman.)
07-15-2013 08:44 AM
Randy B Offline
Road Warrior

Palm Bay FL
Squeeze.
I did a little write up on it.
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=595
07-15-2013 11:04 PM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
I ended up going to the dealer to get the connector of the light bulb,even they had a heck of a time to get it off and had to use pliers.I put a good dose of silicon dielectictric grease on it to make future removal easier.I seems that one of the tabs did not completely free the bulb.You might want to check this when you have time at home and not when on the road struggling to replace a lightbulb!
07-18-2013 08:24 AM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
After the problem getting the connector of the light bulb,installing the chrome after market shell was very easy (about 15 minutes) just loosen the two bolts and feed all the wiring thru the hole,no need to take any of the connectors apart.
07-18-2013 03:14 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>