Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Beverage Containers, Holders, and Carriers
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Beverage Containers, Holders, and Carriers
Many of us travel with water, soda, coffee, or tea (see The Ferret's Seat Time report titled "Riding to warm up" for a few photos of one of his tea breaks). I would be interested in knowing what types of containers riders use for their beverages, be they hot or cold, and how they carry, mount, or otherwise store that container on their bike so that it does not leak or spill. Please include any brand names and mounting suggestions.

Wasn't sure if this should go in the "Accessories" category, but it seems more like gear to me.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
01-17-2016 01:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: Beverage Containers, Holders, and Carriers
I should travel with water much more often than I do. When I remember, I have a aluminium, insulated water bottle I just sling in the top box. It comes from Kathmandu—an outdoor and travel equipment shop. The insulation is good as anything in the top box gets hot where I ride and tepid to warm water is not really to my taste.

It has a screw top with a drinking spout protected by a cover that is clipped securely in place.

I can't post a link as they don't seem to stock it any more.
01-17-2016 01:32 PM
Django Offline
Road Warrior

Germany
Top box? You could fill up the lower part with crushed ice and carry some cold soft drinks. Beer

73 Django -- [url=http://www.ironbutt.com]IBA[/url] #59882 -- [url=https://djangotours.wordpress.com]Django Tours[/url] -- [url=http://1asw.de/~rsz/bilder/ES-I64/15-34-0832.jpg]Django on CB1100[/url]
This message was signaled with a flashlight into the end of a fiber.
01-17-2016 01:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I always carry fluids, usually a thermos of hot tea which I can drink and enjoy hot or cold. Quite often I also carry a plastic bottle of Lipton Green Tea citrus. I am not much of a water person, but on trips I carry a plastic bottle of water simply because I can refill it in my room everyday, and some straws of Crystal Light lemonade to pour into the water bottle to give it some flavor. I have never been one that requires fluids to be of any particular temperature .. warm fluid is just as good to me as cold fluid. Therefore if a bottle of water or green tea, sits in my tank bag for a couple of days and is " ambient temperature" be that icy sludge or just below boiling, that's fine with me. As long as it's wet, it quenches my thirst. Since I always have a tank bag and or tail pack on my bikes, storage is never a problem.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-17-2016 08:22 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Do you brew your tea at home then pour it into the thermos or jus pop a tea bag or two into the thermos, add hot water, and go?

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
01-17-2016 09:58 PM
Frulk Offline
High Mileage

Utah
Different sized Titanium flasks depending on length of trip for spirits made by Varo and Snow Peak. SIGG metal bottles occasionally. Nalgene bottles for water. I have several small MSR stoves I use to heat anything like instant coffee when out on the road. Regardless of how you carry them on the bike...horizontal...upside down etc...none of these containers leak.....ever!
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2016 10:23 PM by Frulk.)
01-17-2016 10:15 PM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
We always carry bottled water and plenty of it. Doesn't matter if it gets a bit warm so no reason to use an insulated carrier. If I want a warm drink I'll stop somewhere for coffee.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
01-17-2016 11:02 PM
Chapomis Offline
High Mileage

Cape Cod
Canteens vs plastic water bottles. I bought a reusable water bottle (canteen) years ago when they became popular with the office masses, but quickly found out that keeping them clean was a chore. They get pretty nasty inside and unless they are clear it's hard to tell. I also prefer flavored bottle water, but it can get expensive off the shelf. My solution is similar to Ferrets. I refill the recyclable clear water bottles (not the ultra thin ones) with tap water and add a liquid flavor that comes in a small bottle. I reuse the bottle till it starts to get the road hard look, then start over with a fresh bottle for $1.50. I guess you could say that it's a light green solution. Big Grin

2014 CB1100 Deluxe, Kawa Gaiters, OEM heated grips, K&H Cafe seat, Kijima guards (inadequate), Chic short red rear fender, CB500 mirrors, barbacks and RLETs
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2016 04:45 AM by Chapomis.)
01-18-2016 04:40 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(01-17-2016 09:58 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  Do you brew your tea at home then pour it into the thermos or jus pop a tea bag or two into the thermos, add hot water, and go?

Sea because I use creme and sugar in my hot tea, I brew it at home (seep the bag 2:30) or at the hotel and pour it into the thermos.

(drinking cup#1 of the day as I type .... Mmmmmmmm)

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-18-2016 05:12 AM
the_undecider Offline
Running Like a Top

Texas
I have an insulated stainless bottle I fill with water. I throw it in my saddlebag on the Honda. On my V-strom, I have a bottle holder mounted to the left side engine crash bar. The bottle has a flip up drinking spout with a straw inside, so I can drink without tilting my head back. Going down the road, it's easy to flip open my modular helmet, grab the bottle, and take a sip. It's just forward of my knee, so any easy reach. If you go to the 9:20 mark of my V-strom video, you can see my bottle mount:

2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Honda CRF450L
2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
01-18-2016 11:40 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition