Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ST1300
TINK Offline
Running Like a Top

So Cal
RE: ST1300
The mufflers are Staintune. They are made in Austailia and are stainless steel.
Those mufflers for the ST1300 are $1500.00 for the pair.
The are missing the removable baffle... personally I'd put the baffles back in.

I have a Staintune on my VFR800. They are very high quality and sound great (with the baffle) on my VFR.

My 2009 ST1300 ABS has a Corbin seat that I bought for it. The OEM seat is a real POS. I've never owned a Sargent, but I hear real good things about them.

21K miles is nothing for one of these bikes. They will go 200K trouble free mile, easy.

ABS, absolutely! This is a VERY HEAVY motorcycle and ABS is the only way to go.

My ST1300 > http://www.photosbytink.com/ST1300/

2017 WR250R (Dual Sport)
2014 CB1100 Deluxe
2009 ST1300 (Iron Butt)
2000 VFRF800Fi (5th Gen)
1979 BMW R100S "The Ultimate Motorcycle"

[url=http://www.photosbytink.com/]photosbytink.com[/url]
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 11:26 PM by TINK.)
01-29-2016 09:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
(01-29-2016 02:44 PM)Chapomis Wrote:  Thanks Popgun, didn't know that. The one that I sat on the other day seemed fine. I find that I am good with heights up to about 32". How do they adjust ?

It's real easy, no tools required. First remove the passenger seat. You have to do that to get the seat off, then lift off the seat. Look by the bottom of the tank where the seat plugs into. Just pull that bracket out and move it into the slot you want. You will see it, it's easy. Then put the seats back on.

Mine is always in the low position. YMMV. The only time I ever have moved it is when lifting up the tank. It can be pivoted up for maintenance and there is a rod stored under the passenger seat that is for holding the tank up.

That feature was nice when I added the GiPro as the diagnostic connector is about as far aft as you can go on the right side and was pretty easy to get the wire back there with the tank up.

And I guess you know, this bike has 2 tanks. The pump is in the lower tank.

I am no expert on this machine, but is a cool bike. I strongly suggest you order a service manual for it.

And even though that one has the knee pads installed on the tank (mine aren't installed). Tankslapper has a kit for the ST. I put it on the tank and headlights. Some of it I didn't install on the fairing pieces. Maybe the next time I take them off.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
01-30-2016 07:00 AM
Lord Popgun Offline

Virginia Beach
One other thing while I'm thinking about it. The speedometer on these bikes in not accuate. Mine is 5-7 mph high. Wondered why EVERYBODY was passing me. Stopped and mounted up the GPS and NO WONDER.

Fuel on the other hand seems right on. Once It ran down enough to say I had 31 miles left and I (finally) found a station. The bike took 7 gals.! Only hold ~7.5. I cannot push the thing down the Interstate and am not letting that happen again Smile

2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
01-30-2016 04:18 PM
Chapomis Offline
High Mileage

Cape Cod
So, I took the 2hr hike to NH this morning. Beautiful bike, excellent condition, couldn't find a scratch (which was hard as the dealer didn't even bother to wipe the dust off.....with 3 days notice) anyways, I mentioned to the guy that the baffles were not in and he got down on his knees, looked in the end and said, nope their in there. I tried hard to explain what Tink had told me (thanks Tink !) but to no avail. Then he fired it up......even he was surprised at how loud it was. After that he kept telling me that he would "take care of that" I didn't bother asking him how. Early this morning (4am) I woke wondering if I really wanted another heavy bike, the St being the same weight as the Harley that I'm selling. It's very well balanced and certainly not goldwing heavy, but 2 things were hanging in the back of my mind. The first was Cormanus repeatedly referring to it as a beast and the other was the ST Owners forum having a tip-over counter attached to everyone's profile. In any case I have slated that for the time being and looking into alternatives. NT700V ? Much lighter, but half the HP (sounds like a beer commercial)

2014 CB1100 Deluxe, Kawa Gaiters, OEM heated grips, K&H Cafe seat, Kijima guards (inadequate), Chic short red rear fender, CB500 mirrors, barbacks and RLETs
01-30-2016 05:18 PM
Lord Popgun Offline

Virginia Beach
The tip over thing scared me so bad that I bought Bygdawg tip over bars and sent them to Ridem for installation before picking it up and riding it home. Turns out Ferret was right, not really a problem. From what I can tell, most people drop in parking lot situations by grabbing too much front brake while hard turning while going slow.

Heck, I could do that on my CB. Simple physics, but I guess a lot of people don't get it. Having said that, the bars are nice and will protect the side cases if I drop it. I've read that Gold Wing chrome bars will fit with a little persuasion.

2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2016 05:36 PM by Lord Popgun.)
01-30-2016 05:36 PM
TINK Offline
Running Like a Top

So Cal
The baffle tip protrudes from the muffler. It is obvious your's are missing. And yes, the baffle makes a big difference.

http://staintune.com.au/collections/repl...restrictor

2017 WR250R (Dual Sport)
2014 CB1100 Deluxe
2009 ST1300 (Iron Butt)
2000 VFRF800Fi (5th Gen)
1979 BMW R100S "The Ultimate Motorcycle"

[url=http://www.photosbytink.com/]photosbytink.com[/url]
01-30-2016 08:16 PM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Chapomis, no different than the "Dropped CB1100 thread" we have going on here. People drop motorcycles from time to time. The ST has tip over guards built in which only lets it fall over so far, unlike our CB which will take a nap on their sides.

I would think the ST would be 200 pounds lighter than the Harley, but almost 175 pounds heavier than the CB. (Which feels like a lightweight to me lol.)

For me the " heavy" part of the ST is backing it out of the garage, or a parking place, lifting it off the side stand, and lifting it on to the centerstand which I rarely do. Like most bikes once upright and rolling, it doesn't feel heavy, but stable.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-31-2016 05:58 AM
Lord Popgun Offline

Virginia Beach
Ferret, to me, even with the stock suspension, riding the ST is like riding in my Lexus. The ST is a luxury ride for me!

2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
01-31-2016 06:18 AM
Chapomis Offline
High Mileage

Cape Cod
(01-31-2016 05:58 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Chapomis, no different than the "Dropped CB1100 thread" we have going on here. People drop motorcycles from time to time. The ST has tip over guards built in which only lets it fall over so far, unlike our CB which will take a nap on their sides.

I would think the ST would be 200 pounds lighter than the Harley, but almost 175 pounds heavier than the CB. (Which feels like a lightweight to me lol.)

For me the " heavy" part of the ST is backing it out of the garage, or a parking place, lifting it off the side stand, and lifting it on to the centerstand which I rarely do. Like most bikes once upright and rolling, it doesn't feel heavy, but stable.

My Harley comes in around 725 to 750 depending on which farkels are on it, isn't that the same as the ST ?

Ferret, have you ever tried one of the Harbor Freight dollies ? I got one for my Harley and it works great if you have the space to do the 180.

I had no issues lifting the ST off the side stand and I have yet to tip any bike over (knock-on-wood). My weight issue is with my own fatigue, in that after 4 or 5 hours of riding i'm just not as strong as when I started.

Popgun, I appreciate what you are both saying about weight and especially like your comment about the luxury of the bike, which is something that i'm looking for but don't really get a lot of on either my Harley or the CB. My CanAm is luxury....but its not 2 wheels Sad

I havn't crossed it off my list, just looking into lighter alternatives. Is anyone familiar with its little sister, the NT700V or Deauville ? I looked at a 2010 yesterday and liked it. Weighs about 580 wet.

2014 CB1100 Deluxe, Kawa Gaiters, OEM heated grips, K&H Cafe seat, Kijima guards (inadequate), Chic short red rear fender, CB500 mirrors, barbacks and RLETs
01-31-2016 09:15 AM
Paulb Offline
1st Service Completed

England
Anyone remember when a Triumph 650cc was considered a big bike? Now a 900cc is considered a middleweight. We have become accustomed to large engines and high power. Problem is every time the engine grows so does the wheel size, the tyre size, the frame weight etc, etc. weight chasing power. When we consider smaller engines we tend to forget the weight saving and it is power to weight ratio that is really important. Before buying the CB1100 I had a CB 500X and it was a brilliant bike. OK, you have to use the gearbox but that's all part of the fun and it really ticks off your mates on far bigger bikes when they can't shake you off. The trick to getting your mind right to smaller bikes is to try something really small. Try a modern 250cc and you will be smiling ear to ear but then go for a ride on the 650 or 750cc machine and it will no longer feel small. Talking of which, has anyone ridden the KTM 690cc single? If you want fun on windy roads then that is the bike. If I can clear out some of my vintage stuff I'll fill the space with one of those.
01-31-2016 09:57 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Lovely looking bike, mtneers.Cormanus — 01:31 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
^^+1Cormanus — 01:29 PM
Let's see your CB1100 out on the road!
Well, it's been 3 or 4 weeks since I las . . .The A-man — 12:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
First time out this season now that I’ . . .mtneers — 12:44 PM
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.
excuse my while i smash my gopro and nev . . .misterprofessionality — 11:48 AM
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.
I never see a rider on a CB1100 bei . . .Gone in 60 — 11:44 AM
How the system helmet saved my pretty ...ss ...
Charlie, if you're into making plant pot . . .Gone in 60 — 11:43 AM
How the system helmet saved my pretty ...ss ...
I have a HJC modular and loved it. It wa . . .Charlie Bravo — 11:33 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992
» Forum posts: 330,370

Full Statistics

>