Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CRF1000 Africa Twin
Inhouse Bob Offline
Road Warrior

NoVA
RE: CRF1000 Africa Twin
(02-02-2016 06:32 AM)Ole Wrote:  Standing on the pegs lowers the center of gravity which gives me better control in dirt. Steer with your knees easier.

Both of the above answers is correct. People will argue the "lower center of gravity" statement, but I say it's true. When you are seated, you are essentially a part of the bike and thus your weight raises the COG. When you stand up, your weight moves more independently of the bike and your weight joins the bike way down at the pegs. The pegs become a pivot point so that you can do things like lean the bike for turns while your body remains upright. It makes the bike easier to handle at low speeds.
02-02-2016 07:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EGAlvarez Offline
Running Like a Top

Chester, Virginia, USA
(02-02-2016 05:39 AM)curlyjoe Wrote:  Also, why do adventure riders stand up while riding?

It's much easier to control a big ADV bike in technical terrain while standing, you can counterweight the bike's weight and make much tighter turns both on and off road, your legs acts as suspension and you don't bounce around out of control while in the saddle, if you need to brake hard you simple move your weight back and down over the rear saddle (locking up on dirt or sand covered pavement is very different from maximum braking on dry, clean pavement) , you have better visibility of terrain, and (IMHO, most importantly) if you are riding a bike, big or small, and you are weighting the outside peg and the bike slides on dirt or sand, you move with the bike instead of instantly low-siding and crashing.
It's a very odd feeling for most students who are seasoned street riders to put their weight on the outside peg, but once they do it and are able to ride figure eights in two parking spaces (on pavement or dirt) on a R1200GS or have the rear tire slide a bit underneath them while powering through a turn (and they stay in control), you see the light bulb turn on over their heads and a big smile of their faces.

2016 BMW R1200GSA, 2017 KTM Duke 390, 1967 BMW R60/2, 2006 Suzuki DR650, 2001 Suzuki GS500,
02-02-2016 07:11 AM
Ole Offline
High Mileage

Evansville Wisconsin
I have argued for years, street riders would be better riders if they grew up on dirt bikes. "If yer not sliding yer not riding"
A little sand in a hot corner can either kill you or put a big arse smile on your face!
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 07:19 AM by Ole.)
02-02-2016 07:16 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Ole I started street riding in 1965, I started racing Moto-X in 1973 and raced for 10 years, all while still riding daily on the street. I always told people Moto-X makes me a better street rider and riding on the street makes me a better Moto-X rider.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-02-2016 07:32 AM
Ole Offline
High Mileage

Evansville Wisconsin
(02-02-2016 07:32 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Ole I started street riding in 1965, I started racing Moto-X in 1973 and raced for 10 years, all while still riding daily on the street. I always told people Moto-X makes me a better street rider and riding on the street makes me a better Moto-X rider.

B I N G O

you get it
a lot of younger riders today don't get it
daddy buys em a 'busa and they are an expert
02-02-2016 07:45 AM
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
Thanks for the clarification all. Unfortunately my left knee is bone on bone now because of my high school football days so i'll continue riding on my bum.Smile I'll think I'll steer clear of adventure bikes in the future for the very same reason.

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
02-02-2016 08:22 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
well as noted adv bikes have other properties that make the desirable for purely street riding while sitting on your bum, incl a more open rider triangle which may actually benefit your bad knee by unfolding it a bit. You don't HAVE to ride them off road..and I wouldn't if I bought one...at least no place I wouldn't take my CB 1100.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-02-2016 08:26 AM
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
(02-02-2016 08:26 AM)The ferret Wrote:  well as noted adv bikes have other properties that make the desirable for purely street riding while sitting on your bum, incl a more open rider triangle which may actually benefit your bad knee by unfolding it a bit. You don't HAVE to ride them off road..and I wouldn't if I bought one...at least no place I wouldn't take my CB 1100.

I'll have to go and check them out. I did find the CB a bit cramped when I first started riding it but I adjusted to the bike with time and my K&H high seat also helped with the extra inch seat height.

Time to get ready for my ride. This will be the 3rd day in a row and probably the last day for a while.

Rain tomorrow and then it will drop back into the 30's. Undecided

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
02-02-2016 09:02 AM
Olyrider Offline
Running Like a Top

Pacific NorthWet
(02-02-2016 08:22 AM)curlyjoe Wrote:  Thanks for the clarification all. Unfortunately my left knee is bone on bone now because of my high school football days so i'll continue riding on my bum.Smile I'll think I'll steer clear of adventure bikes in the future for the very same reason.

Besides my CB1100, I own a KTM450 and BMW F800GS. At 64, I still consider myself as an ADV rider much more than a street rider.

I had "bone-on-bone" in my right knee. I tore my ACL back in '89 along with the meniscus. Eighteen months ago, I had knee replacement surgery. Surgery was on a Tuesday. On Friday, I walked the dogs for two miles. Three weeks later, I rode 150 miles of highway, forest service roads, and jeep track on the F800GS. Haven't looked back since. Five weeks after surgery, I was back on the racquetball court. Been playing four days a week since then. Snow skiing is fun again. Going tomorrow.

I'm writing all this because........

Check out your options. Bone-on-bone is no way to live when their are choices! Life is too short.

Olyrider

Ob-la-di...Ob-la-da
02-02-2016 09:56 AM
Riko Offline
High Mileage

Belgium
(02-02-2016 05:39 AM)curlyjoe Wrote:  Also, why do adventure riders stand up while riding? Better visibility while riding in the scrub? Presumably hard braking would be a problem while riding in that position.

(02-02-2016 06:23 AM)The ferret Wrote:  You stand up on a bike in the dirt because your knees act like shock absorbers taking some of the jolt out of the ride and saving your kidneys and spine in the process.

Try it on your street bike some time, ride over a speed bump while seated, turn around and ride over it again while standing with knees slightly bent.

indeed, I do this constantly when riding over a high speed bump everyday from work with my 50cc scooter.
Your body weight is reduced at the impact moment because your knees absorb the impact of the bump..

I also use this reflex to stand up when there is an unexpected bump or whole in the road. I try to stand up a bit and let my knees relieve the shock absorbers.
The difference can be huge compared by just sitting down with your full weight in the saddle..
02-02-2016 02:34 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
I am grateful for a cage that keeps me w . . .GoldOxide — 06:30 PM
:rofl:The ferret — 06:04 PM