Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Free Valve Check
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
A Free Valve Check
Yesterday's mail brought a letter from American Suzuki notifying Pamela that her 2012 DL650 has a recall to check undue wear on the camshafts and "tappets". DL650's from 2012 to 2014 are suspect. Bikes with less than 2500 miles will have camshafts and "tappets" replaced and those with greater mileage will get a valve check and camshaft inspection, any parts replaced and all labor paid by Suzuki. This is interesting as I was recently going over the procedure for valve inspection on this bike and it is a real PITA. I had already decided that I was not in the mood for DIY on this so, in some way, the recall is a blessing. Free valve clearance check.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
02-09-2016 07:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: A Free Valve Check
Good on Suzuki for being on top of this. That was a popular bike for Suzuki, so they should be doing a lot of them. Don't rush in, wait until the mechanics get some experience with the procedure lol

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-09-2016 07:56 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
(02-09-2016 07:56 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Don't rush in, wait until the mechanics get some experience with the procedure lol

Good point.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
02-09-2016 08:40 AM
TCinNC Offline
1st Service Completed

New Bern, NC
(02-09-2016 07:43 AM)redbirds Wrote:  Yesterday's mail brought a letter from American Suzuki notifying Pamela that her 2012 DL650 has a recall to check undue wear on the camshafts and "tappets". DL650's from 2012 to 2014 are suspect. Bikes with less than 2500 miles will have camshafts and "tappets" replaced and those with greater mileage will get a valve check and camshaft inspection, any parts replaced and all labor paid by Suzuki. This is interesting as I was recently going over the procedure for valve inspection on this bike and it is a real PITA. I had already decided that I was not in the mood for DIY on this so, in some way, the recall is a blessing. Free valve clearance check.

I traded a 13 DL 650 in on my 14 Std. one month ago, got the recall notice on the DL yesterday. That was my first thought, if I still had it I could get a free valve check, and they are a PITA. Glad to have my new CB though.
02-09-2016 09:50 AM
the_undecider Offline
Running Like a Top

Texas
I'm probably going to wait till I get closer to the 12000 mile mark to have mine done since it isn't making any funny noises or exhibiting any strange symptoms.

2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Honda CRF450L
2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
02-09-2016 11:55 AM
jedd Offline
Running Like a Top

Austin, TX
Same here...my Strom's still covered w/ factory warranty. I have no interest in getting the recall done until I start hearing my valves clatter, or when the bike starts to do strange things.

As for valve check, don't even worry about it. I have two friends w/ 36k & 44k miles on their stroms...they've NEVER checked their valves since ownership, and they go everywhere in Mexico and the USA quite frequently. Worry about other things, but to worry about valve clearances on a Strom, it is futile.
02-11-2016 08:51 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
And … ? Not too much to talk a . . .peterbaron — 03:21 PM
Todays weather
Today's weather (same system as PB) was . . .GoldOxide — 03:10 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition