Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CB left me stranded today
White Dog Offline
Running Like a Top

NC
RE: CB left me stranded today
Let us know the prognosis/fix. Motorcycle electrical problems are the worst things to handle. One mechanic once said "It is usually a grounding problem." Take that for what its worth.

2014 Standard, PS2 Shield, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Givi tail box.
02-11-2016 08:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kmoney Offline
High Mileage

Vancouver, BC
Cycle the kill switch off and on a couple times? I doubt that's it (and you've probably done it), but I've been told by a couple mechanics not to use this switch often, as the contacts can wear out and cause the situation you describe. I think this is also the only switch that will positively kill power to every system in the bike.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2016 08:31 PM by kmoney.)
02-11-2016 08:29 PM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
(02-11-2016 08:03 PM)White Dog Wrote:  Let us know the prognosis/fix. Motorcycle electrical problems are the worst things to handle. One mechanic once said "It is usually a grounding problem." Take that for what its worth.

That's what I would guess too. I've seen bikes with the same symptoms that Redbirds is having. It always turned out to be a loose or dirty ground, either at the battery or where the other end of the negative cable connected to the bike's frame.

The loose connection is enough to handle the small current flow when the ignition is turned on, but breaks when the high starting current flows.

The odd thing is that this problem is usually associated with older bikes that are more likely to have corroded or loose connection points.

On the bright side, it's an easy thing to check out and eliminate as a possible cause.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
02-11-2016 09:29 PM
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
(02-11-2016 08:29 PM)kmoney Wrote:  Cycle the kill switch off and on a couple times? I doubt that's it (and you've probably done it), but I've been told by a couple mechanics not to use this switch often, as the contacts can wear out and cause the situation you describe. I think this is also the only switch that will positively kill power to every system in the bike.

Ignition switch failure could be the problem too. The 2P connector for the ignition switch is in the headlight housing if you wanted to test for continuity with ignition switch on/off.

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
02-12-2016 06:25 AM
Ole Offline
High Mileage

Evansville Wisconsin
I will go out a limb here and say a bad ground. Or even a loose neg terminal on battery. Been there done this!

Bought a Honda VTX 1800 brand new. What you described happened to this bike a few times when new. Followed all the grounds to the frame? At one location, Honda primed and painted the frame then put a ground there! Not good I would lose one cylinder. Scraped all the paint and primer off and never happened again.

On a few long rides I did, if the roads were bad, the neg terminal on battery would get loose. Then the symptom was just what you described on start up.
good luck
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2016 08:39 AM by Ole.)
02-12-2016 08:32 AM
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
I checked the service manual and there are multiple ground wires attached to a ground point under the fuel tank. It looks as though you will have to remove the fuel tank to check those.

I guess it's also possible that one of the cells in your battery failed when you turned on the ignition. If you hook up the multimeter to the battery and then turn on the ignition, do you see a dramatic drop in voltage?

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
02-12-2016 09:10 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
With shop manual in hand, eggs, bacon and three cups of coffee downed, started in on the problem this morning and quickly diagnosed.

The starter relay is defective. This relay is the first connection from battery and has two feeds, a 20 amp fused cable on the left and a 30 amp fused cable on the right. The right side cable from the relay feeds directly to the ignition switch. Whilst at roadside yesterday afternoon, I checked for battery on the left side cable only and battery was present there. I then checked both fuses with the multimeter and both were good so I assumed the trouble lay beyond this juncture. If I had checked the right side cable I would have found no battery. Going over all this morning I quickly discovered this and removed the relay and found it to be open on the field side of the fuse and thus not passing battery to the ignition switch.

Had to order a new starter relay at $67 and while speaking to the parts man was informed that Honda has a recall on two models now for this same problem. Unfortunately the CB not being one of them.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
02-12-2016 09:27 AM
Lord Popgun Online
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
I believe this is the first reported starter relay failure on the board.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
02-12-2016 09:33 AM
pdedse Online
Been There

Oregon
I like to do my own maintenance on my bikes when I can, but I'll readily admit to shying away from electrical issues because nobody every "learned me" and I haven't had to much with some simple exceptions. Cool that you were able to diagnose the trouble spot.

(02-12-2016 09:27 AM)redbirds Wrote:  ...
Had to order a new starter relay at $67 and while speaking to the parts man was informed that Honda has a recall on two models now for this same problem. Unfortunately the CB not being one of them.

What does it take for an issue like this on a particular bike to come to Honda's attention so that they do announce a recall? Is it because dealerships report multiple cases, or because of customers contacting Honda directly? When riders fix the issue on their own, maybe it's best to contact Honda anyway so that they are made aware?
02-12-2016 09:55 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
(02-12-2016 09:55 AM)pdedse Wrote:  I like to do my own maintenance on my bikes when I can, but I'll readily admit to shying away from electrical issues because nobody every "learned me" and I haven't had to much with some simple exceptions. Cool that you were able to diagnose the trouble spot.

(02-12-2016 09:27 AM)redbirds Wrote:  ...

What does it take for an issue like this on a particular bike to come to Honda's attention so that they do announce a recall? Is it because dealerships report multiple cases, or because of customers contacting Honda directly? When riders fix the issue on their own, maybe it's best to contact Honda anyway so that they are made aware?

I called American Honda and spoke with a very helpful fellow, Randy. He took my VIN # and said that my contact would be noted. He also said that it would be good if I could get my dealer to look at the defective part and contact American Honda.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
02-12-2016 10:16 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
no kidding....that's just a picture too. . . .misterprofessionality — 07:34 AM
It's fun to read all these comments... . . .peterbaron — 07:18 AM