Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Touring Bike Quest
Chapomis Offline
High Mileage

Cape Cod
Touring Bike Quest
In my recent quest for a touring bike I have gone from the CTX to ST to FJR, etc etc to just adding a full shield and boxes to my CB. Yes, the CB is a very versatile bike and there are a lot of fine examples of it set up for touring here, but I think it looks best IMHO.....the way I have it now. So, the last stop in my quest was at my local BMW dealer. I went there with the intention of just looking at the F800 thingy and seeing how that felt and ended up putting a deposit on a R1200RT (ouch). The question I keep putting to myself is, where does this put the CB in my life ? I don't expect anyone to answer that question, just pondering keeping or selling. I think if someone really wanted a really pretty DLX with only 800 miles, I might consider selling, but not at the used prices I am seeing lately.

2014 CB1100 Deluxe, Kawa Gaiters, OEM heated grips, K&H Cafe seat, Kijima guards (inadequate), Chic short red rear fender, CB500 mirrors, barbacks and RLETs
02-14-2016 11:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Touring Bike Quest
Ouch is right, but that BMW is a wonderful bike.

Tell you where my CB fits in. After riding the ST around for a while climbing on the CB is like climbing on a light weight, smooth handling, comfortable sport bike. Sometimes I want all the protection and stability of the big bike, and sometimes I want to feel the wind and throw the bike around a little bit. I think they compliment each other nicely.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-14-2016 11:58 AM
Paulb Offline
1st Service Completed

England
For me the CB1100 is a superb tourer. It cruises at 85mph, carries enough luggage for a two week trip and gets admiring looks wherever I go. When it rains I get wet and when it is cold I need to wrap up but that is what motorcycling is all about. If I want to be protected from the elements, listen to the radio, have cruise control and a heater I'll travel by car. Motorcycling is supposed to be an adventure. Motorways (freeways) are not an adventure and neither is a climate controlled environment. I don't want gadgets, fairings, music or heaters. On a motorcycle I consider these features are for couriers who have to travel long distances quickly, as a job. As a traveller I want to experience the travelling, not be protected for it. Each to their own but looking back, it is the difficult trips that stay in the memory the longest and the difficult times make you appreciate the good times more.
02-14-2016 12:03 PM
quietguy Offline
Running Like a Top

TX
Congratulations, Chapomis, on your new, beautiful motorcycle. It is an incredible machine, and I'm certain it will fulfill your touring needs with aplomb.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2016 03:24 PM by quietguy.)
02-14-2016 12:51 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
Once you start to ride the RT, you'll find where the CB fits in. For me, it's a town bike. The RT looks too big to ride at ease in town; traits that will serve it well on the open road.

The CB does tourer very well, but the RT is at a whole other level.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
02-14-2016 01:05 PM
CA200 Offline
High Mileage

Madison Wi.
Good choice ! Just what I was looking for when I retired but with my budget I would only be able to get one
very very used. So bought the CB.
02-14-2016 01:11 PM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Congrats Alan on a fine choice.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
02-14-2016 01:17 PM
Pete Erickson Away
1st Service Completed

Vancouver, WA
I took a 5k mile round trip to Abilene, Tx last year. Grandson's HS graduation. I rode my BMW R1200R which is basically the same as the RT, but without the Tupperware and some of the electronics. It was a great trip. The bike was flawless.

Purchased my CB11 after that trip and my plan was to sell the BMW and use the Honda for touring. After much thought I am going to keep the BMW and will use it for extended trips like the one above. I will use the Honda for trips of a week or less. The reason is not because the Honda is less capable, I used to take multi week trips on my CB750 back in the day. The reason is the shaft drive. Yes, I know that BMW had some problems with the rear drive on their earlier big twin boxers, but those problems pretty much disappeared after they put a big hole in the rear drive for cooling.

If the Honda had shaft drive, the BMW would be gone in a heartbeat.
02-14-2016 01:22 PM
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
Very nice bike indeed, Congratulations!

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
02-14-2016 01:39 PM
Riko Offline
High Mileage

Belgium
If you have the luxury (money and space) to keep the two bikes, that are totally different and each serve a specific need and purpose, I would definately keep both.

I think the Ferret summed it up perfectly.
From time to time you want and need those opposites.
There is no perfect do-it-all bike, but being able to chose from 2 different bikes is a good start Smile

Congratz on the beemer Thumbs Up

[align=center][b]CB[color=#FFD700]1100[/color][color=#FF0000]EX[/color][/b]
Cool spoked wheels Cool

Follow [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=7489][i]The Belgian Build[/i][/url][/align]
02-14-2016 02:52 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,755

Full Statistics