Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Helmet Reco Needed
White Dog Offline
Running Like a Top

NC
Helmet Reco Needed
Can some nice person recommend an economically-priced full face helmet with minimal wind noise? I have a Shoei Qwest that is driving me crazy with the constant roar. The noise is coming from the face shield area, as I have the wind blocker in place and feel no air underneath. I ride behind a PS2 and had it about as high as it would go but no help. In fact it was so high, the wings to block air on the hands were higher than my handlebars, rendering that part of the shield ineffective.

2014 Standard, PS2 Shield, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Givi tail box.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 06:58 PM by White Dog.)
03-03-2016 06:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeff the CB CBX guy Offline
1st Service Completed

Newport Beach, California
RE: Helmet Reco Needed
Minimal wind noise and economical don't normally collide in the same sentence. Arai is the quietest. My experience.
03-03-2016 09:01 PM
kmoney Offline
High Mileage

Vancouver, BC
Shoei RF1200? The Air-GT is quieter, but too expensive to be considered economical. If your current Quest fits well you probably have a Shoei head shape and may want to stick with the same brand. You see solid colour RF1200's on discount quite often.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 09:14 PM by kmoney.)
03-03-2016 09:14 PM
White Dog Offline
Running Like a Top

NC
(03-03-2016 09:01 PM)Jeff the CB CBX guy Wrote:  Minimal wind noise and economical don't normally collide in the same sentence. Arai is the quietest. My experience.

I agree. I wore an Arai for 10 years until the insides fell apart. New ones are very pricey, but had I known the Shoei Qwest was going to be so noisy, I would have looked more closely for a deal on Arai. I may try taping the face shield shut and see if that helps.

2014 Standard, PS2 Shield, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Givi tail box.
03-03-2016 09:35 PM
Jeff the CB CBX guy Offline
1st Service Completed

Newport Beach, California
That worked for me in the past. Or try a felt strip(s)
03-03-2016 09:37 PM
Rebel73 Offline
High Mileage

Lost Angels, Ca
10 years? Just fyi, the recommendation is to replace a helmet every 4-5 years. The impact resistant materials break down over time.

- Rob

Mods: Guhl ECU flash, Over Racing Slip-ons, Custom paint, Chic Sport Trunk Seat, Road Comet 1, Hakofugu short front fender, rear fender removed, Motech black engine guards, Renthal low bars, Moto Delux bar-end mirrors, RLETs, headlight grill, Triumph fork gaiters[size=small][/size]
03-03-2016 09:55 PM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
I don't think there is such a helmet that offers comfort and quiet at the same time, but Arai may come the closest - for a price!
I settled for HJC helmets which offer good value, fit, comfort and protection for the price, and have been wearing them for many years.
I always wear E.A.R ear plugs anyway so it doesn't really matter that much how noisy it is.
Not everyone likes or can stand ear plugs, but you have to protect your hearing.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
03-04-2016 03:50 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Just out of curiosity, have you ridden the bike without the windshield on to see if the helmet is still noisy? My brother has a Qwest and loves it. He says his is very quiet, but both of his bikes are basically naked with no windshields. He doesn't wear ear plugs either.

I wear HJC's and can tell you they are not the quietest, either on a naked bike or behind a shield, but they fit me well.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-04-2016 04:33 AM
jrns Offline
Running Like a Top

Nova Scotia, Canada
(03-04-2016 03:50 AM)Rocky Wrote:  I don't think there is such a helmet that offers comfort and quiet at the same time, but Arai may come the closest - for a price!
I settled for HJC helmets which offer good value, fit, comfort and protection for the price, and have been wearing them for many years.
I always wear E.A.R ear plugs anyway so it doesn't really matter that much how noisy it is.
Not everyone likes or can stand ear plugs, but you have to protect your hearing.

Hi Rocky- we have similar tastes in motorcycles and helmets ...lol
I have the same feelings on the HJC ...comfortable, and economical. It fits the shape of my head perfectly- plus I like the sleek look. Very aerodynamic and quiet.
I have the Spark-that has the integrated drop down sun visor, it also has 2 working vents for cooling, 2 stage closing- 1 that allows a small amount of air to flow on hot days and a tight seal when on the highways or on cold days.
I'm really happy with it and highly recommend it. All for under $200 (Canadian- that's about $140 US funds- pretty good deal).
Cheers,
03-04-2016 05:09 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
The modular HJC doesn't work for me because of my head shape. This has led to me staying with Nolan as they fit perfect even if a bit noisy and heavier than some competitors.

Riding without the Puig screen, there is far less noise but still not as quiet as I would like. I cannot wear ear plugs. I've tried most every type including the ones you heat and mold. My ears ache within a few minutes. Some manufacturer should design a helmet with a built in ear muff system, akin to what I wear at the gun range. This should include an exterior sound pick up that allows you to hear alarms, horns, sirens and such.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
03-04-2016 06:24 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Broken indicator lens
I’ve lost several of the earlier large . . .PowerDubs — 05:16 PM
Tire Options for our CB1100
Great looking bike! Love those gold w . . .mvk24 — 03:25 PM
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.