Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Helmet Reco Needed
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
RE: Helmet Reco Needed
Most drug stores sell a silicone-type of ear plug that doesn't go in the ear canal. It's a soft gel that you can work with your fingers and spread over the canal. It's slightly tacky and stays in place.
If I'm travelling with people who snore or if I'm in a noisy motel I wear them all night so I can get some sleep.
I don't even know they are there. That might work for you.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
03-04-2016 06:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
White Dog Offline
Running Like a Top

NC
(03-04-2016 04:33 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, have you ridden the bike without the windshield on to see if the helmet is still noisy? My brother has a Qwest and loves it. He says his is very quiet, but both of his bikes are basically naked with no windshields. He doesn't wear ear plugs either.

I wear HJC's and can tell you they are not the quietest, either on a naked bike or behind a shield, but they fit me well.

When I raise my head way above the windshield, the wind noise gets worse. I don't remember what the helmet did before windshields. I'm not even sure I had the Qwest helmet until after I installed the first windshield. Wish I knew the solution. I read about 8 reviews on the HJC helmets on Revzilla's site and 6 of the 8 complained about wind noise on the helmet I was considering. I picked up some good suggestions so far that I can try before pulling the purchase trigger again. I may look at the Cycle Gear's Bilt Legacy helmet. Good reviews and inexpensive, nice looking graphics helmet. Thanks.

2014 Standard, PS2 Shield, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Givi tail box.
03-04-2016 07:27 AM
Chapomis Offline
High Mileage

Cape Cod
I found this list to be very helpful when researching helmets. This link is by shape and you can also create a list by weight. Each helmet is further rated by other factors such as noise etc.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-h...shapes.htm

2014 CB1100 Deluxe, Kawa Gaiters, OEM heated grips, K&H Cafe seat, Kijima guards (inadequate), Chic short red rear fender, CB500 mirrors, barbacks and RLETs
03-04-2016 07:39 AM
Verdecken Offline
1st Service Completed

Cincinnati (Northern KY)
Helmet Reco Needed
(03-04-2016 07:27 AM)White Dog Wrote:  I may look at the Cycle Gear's Bilt Legacy helmet. Good reviews and inexpensive, nice looking graphics helmet. Thanks.

The first helmet I got was a Bilt cause of the price and sunvisor. I got a Shoei RF1200 after that and the difference is night and day. Shoei is much quieter, lighter, and just all around better. I still have the Bilt but only as a backup helmet or for a pillion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-04-2016 07:57 AM
CA200 Offline
High Mileage

Madison Wi.
I am on my second Qwest and just love it, fits me well and at 67 it just gets quieter every year - WHAT WHAT
can you speak up a little-
03-04-2016 08:07 AM
Chapomis Offline
High Mileage

Cape Cod
(03-04-2016 07:57 AM)Verdecken Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 07:27 AM)White Dog Wrote:  I may look at the Cycle Gear's Bilt Legacy helmet. Good reviews and inexpensive, nice looking graphics helmet. Thanks.

The first helmet I got was a Bilt cause of the price and sunvisor. I got a Shoei RF1200 after that and the difference is night and day. Shoei is much quieter, lighter, and just all around better. I still have the Bilt but only as a backup helmet or for a pillion.

The guy at Cycle Gear told me that Bilt and HJC are one in the same

2014 CB1100 Deluxe, Kawa Gaiters, OEM heated grips, K&H Cafe seat, Kijima guards (inadequate), Chic short red rear fender, CB500 mirrors, barbacks and RLETs
03-04-2016 08:12 AM
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
I spent $100 on some excellent ear plugs, wish I had done it 30-40 years earlier.
Nice quiet ride now, amazing the difference some GOOD ear plugs make, comfortable fit and quiet enough to hear myself think. Blocks a lot of the wind and road noise and really cuts out the drone.

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
03-04-2016 08:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MikeD Offline
1st Service Completed

Asheville, North Carolina
My Bell RS-1 isn't very loud. I think Revzilla has them on sale right now.
03-04-2016 08:21 AM
Verdecken Offline
1st Service Completed

Cincinnati (Northern KY)
Helmet Reco Needed
I don't think they're the same brand, Chapomis. Bilt is Cycle Gears home brand, and it's not sold anywhere else that I know of.

03-04-2016 08:50 AM
White Dog Offline
Running Like a Top

NC
I think my Qwest noise has been mostly solved. Based on some of the comments I read, I checked the seal on the top edge of the helmet and found that I could slide a piece of paper between the face shield and the seal on the helmet. NOT GOOD! I then found that the plate which holds the face shield on the helmet is adjustable so loosening both screws allowed movement of the base plate back and down. Did this for the other side, reinstalled the face shield and the air gap was gone. A short test ride and I estimate a reduction of wind noise by 2/3. I can live with that. Thanks everyone.

2014 Standard, PS2 Shield, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Givi tail box.
03-04-2016 09:20 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Good story, Ferret. I had something sim . . .peterbaron — 02:10 PM
I could just as easily buy a complete . . .The ferret — 02:09 PM