Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.4 Average
CB1100 Idle speed instability problem
LARIDER Offline
1st Service Completed

Los Angeles
RE: 15’ CB1100 Idle speed unstable problem
Glad I saw this thread! Thanks for posting. I had this happen to me yesterday in downtown LA on my '14 Standard. The idle suddenly dropped to around 500 rpm and felt like it was going to stall. I initially thought the loss of power was due to a possible overheating but it sounds like I might have the same problem as the OP. I was very surprised as I've never had any problem with the bike other than a failed valve cover gasket and it doesn't even have 8K on it yet. The only thing I have changed is that I recently switched to all synthetic.

I had to keep the throttle quarter open at stops or slowdowns to keep it at normal idle. I got it home and let it sit for a few hours and then took it for a quick ride and it seemed to be alright. But regardless, I'm taking it to the dealer asap to get it looked at. I'm just glad it happened on a city street as opposed to the Freeway!
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2016 08:33 AM by LARIDER.)
04-06-2016 08:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Larider,

If you are under warranty, don't wait. The IACV isn't too expensive, but that whole throttle body assm. is.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
04-06-2016 08:46 AM
LARIDER Offline
1st Service Completed

Los Angeles
(04-06-2016 08:46 AM)popgun Wrote:  Larider,

If you are under warranty, don't wait. The IACV isn't too expensive, but that whole throttle body assm. is.

Thankfully the warranty is still in effect. I'm going to drop by the dealership today. I'll let you guys know how it goes and I appreciate the info as I can give a heads up to my mechanic for possible causes.
04-06-2016 08:54 AM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
(04-06-2016 08:33 AM)LARIDER Wrote:  ...........

I was very surprised as I've never had any problem with the bike other than a failed valve cover gasket and it doesn't even have 8K on it yet. The only thing I have changed is that I recently switched to all synthetic.

First of all, I apologise to forum members who have seen this before but LA may not have so it is imperative that he is made aware. Most of the problems that the CB1100 suffers, as opposed to ordinary motorcycles, are definitely the result of poor oil choices. As a matter of urgency I would suggest an immediate change to Dactyl (Intergalactic) Corporation's HUBRIS Omni Grade Motorcycle oil.

HUBRIS is a fully synthetic Omni Grade Motorcycle Oil. It is especially formulated for the CB1100. It is, despite being synthetic, a fully natural, grass fed, cholesterol and gluten free product. It is approved by the UNHCMO*, the IPCC and the CIA. It is guaranteed to eradicate and/or prevent engine noises, rattling, sputtering and vibration, frame rot, valve clearance issues, suspension chatter, brake binding, steering oscillatiions, hard seat syndrome (HSS) and other common CB maladies. A drop or two applied to the ECM will remove all limiters and result in massive increases in power and torque. It also may be effacious in the prevention of high side, low side and other rider induced moments. The 2016 improved formulation may, nay will, improve hill climb performance and, applied externally at bedtime, vastly improve the appearance of ugly oil coolers, licence plate brackets, bronzed headers and catalytic converters, throttle body blanks and side panels. It is rumoured that a certain very successful veteran MotoGP racer uses HUBRIS. To obtain Dr Dactyl's HUBRIS oil please send to Dr Dactyl your credit card details by Email. Be quick, it is in very short supply.

Cheers

* the United Nations High Commission for Motorcycle Oils.

Don't ride safe. It's boring.
04-06-2016 01:17 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Dear Dr Dactyl,

I've just been reading (elsewhere on this august forum) about expensive suspension modification. Can you tell me what would happen if I replaced my fork oil with Dactyl HUBRIS Omnigrade?

Yours etc

Cheapskate
04-06-2016 02:13 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
This is a currently under study by the research and development department. Funding is being sought from large corporations that have shown a very active interest in the blue sky commercial potential of this project. Being an old mate, I might be able to get you in on the ground floor. PM bank account details and you will be looked after.

Cheers

Don't ride safe. It's boring.
04-06-2016 05:04 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
15’ CB1100 Idle speed unstable problem
ROFL
04-06-2016 07:22 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
You two are killing me ROFL

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
04-06-2016 07:43 PM
LARIDER Offline
1st Service Completed

Los Angeles
(04-06-2016 01:17 PM)Pterodactyl Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 08:33 AM)LARIDER Wrote:  ...........

I was very surprised as I've never had any problem with the bike other than a failed valve cover gasket and it doesn't even have 8K on it yet. The only thing I have changed is that I recently switched to all synthetic.

First of all, I apologise to forum members who have seen this before but LA may not have so it is imperative that he is made aware. Most of the problems that the CB1100 suffers, as opposed to ordinary motorcycles, are definitely the result of poor oil choices. As a matter of urgency I would suggest an immediate change to Dactyl (Intergalactic) Corporation's HUBRIS Omni Grade Motorcycle oil.

HUBRIS is a fully synthetic Omni Grade Motorcycle Oil. It is especially formulated for the CB1100. It is, despite being synthetic, a fully natural, grass fed, cholesterol and gluten free product. It is approved by the UNHCMO*, the IPCC and the CIA. It is guaranteed to eradicate and/or prevent engine noises, rattling, sputtering and vibration, frame rot, valve clearance issues, suspension chatter, brake binding, steering oscillatiions, hard seat syndrome (HSS) and other common CB maladies. A drop or two applied to the ECM will remove all limiters and result in massive increases in power and torque. It also may be effacious in the prevention of high side, low side and other rider induced moments. The 2016 improved formulation may, nay will, improve hill climb performance and, applied externally at bedtime, vastly improve the appearance of ugly oil coolers, licence plate brackets, bronzed headers and catalytic converters, throttle body blanks and side panels. It is rumoured that a certain very successful veteran MotoGP racer uses HUBRIS. To obtain Dr Dactyl's HUBRIS oil please send to Dr Dactyl your credit card details by Email. Be quick, it is in very short supply.

Cheers

* the United Nations High Commission for Motorcycle Oils.

LOL. Clap

It appears that whatever the problem was went away. Me and the mechanic are chalking it up to most likely a bad batch of gas. Of course I'll be vigilant in the future but the bike rode fine today. One of the local gas stations near me recently got busted for selling diluted bad gas and at least 8 cars were damaged. I wouldn't be surprised if a few others out there are doing it as well.

http://laist.com/2016/03/10/eagle_rock_has_bad_gas.php

Plus Cali gas is generally well known for excelling at sucking. When I first heard someone mention winter blend years ago, I thought they were talking about a new Sam Adams beer.

But good to know about Hubris! I could have taken out a few city blocks if the oil in my bike exploded! Wink
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2016 07:59 PM by LARIDER.)
04-06-2016 07:58 PM
Motogeezer1949 Offline
High Mileage

Winter Park Florida
I had it happen once a couple years ago. Not since.

The ferret Jim Lucia, aka Motogeezer 1949
2010 BMW R1200RT
2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRS ABS
Past: Cafe'd 2014 CB1100DLX.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 60th. Anniversary
04-06-2016 08:57 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts