Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.4 Average
CB1100 Idle speed instability problem
Magnus Offline
Break-In Period

San Diego, CA
RE: CB1100 Idle speed instability problem
Carbon build up around IACV? So I replaced my IACV about six months ago and I still had my high idle issue for several months after. Then I finally went on a really hard 200 mile ride in warm weather through the mountains. Afterwards no more high idle. Others have reported a good long hard ride fixing their idle problem as well.

Maybe the long ride is burning off carbon deposits around the IACV that might be causing it to stick?
11-07-2017 11:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dave Offline
High Mileage

San Diego, ca
The WFO run cured my bike of its high / low-stalling issue, but only temporarily. It's had been running good for over 1,000 miles. Put about 250 miles on it last Sunday. Had the throttle wide open a few times out on the desert roads where I made some passes, but never ran it to redline. Bike ran perfect all day. Ran it about 80 mph average on the freeway the last 25 miles, and when I pulled off the freeway and stopped at the intersection it stalled. Restarted it, and the idle issue was just as everybody else has described - 500 RPM, then slowly creeping up. Stopped at the next light and was back to 500 RPM idle, but I twisted the throttle to keep it from stalling. Came to the next light (just a few hundred yards), and it stalled. Pulled into my driveway about 1/2 mile later and I shut it off as soon as I saw it was going to do the same, 500 RPM idle again. Put the bike away and forgot about it - I'm sure it will idle fine the next time I ride it.

Am I the only owner in America who has contacted the Honda Factory directly to discuss this situation? I posted a name and phone number at Honda somewhere on this thread if anyone is interested. Honda is not going to do anything unless we make some noise, and the more of us contacting them then better the chance that they will do something.
11-14-2017 06:24 PM
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
(11-14-2017 06:24 PM)Dave Wrote:  ..
Am I the only owner in America who has contacted the Honda Factory directly to discuss this situation? I posted a name and phone number at Honda somewhere on this thread if anyone is interested. Honda is not going to do anything unless we make some noise, and the more of us contacting them then better the chance that they will do something.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I have my letter all written up detailing everything, just haven't sent it in yet. I'll look for the address. And then I'll call as well; hopefully this Thursday morning.
11-14-2017 11:57 PM
pdedse Offline
Been There

Oregon
I forgot to contact Honda, but Dave sent me a message asking if I had, so thanks for the reminder. I called and left a message for a lady named Kelly. Dave spoke with her in August, but no real offer of help. Here's Honda's customer service info:

Kelly. 866-784-1870, extension 13810.

Motorcycle Division, American Honda Motor Company, Inc.
P.O. Box 2220
Torrance, California 90509 – 2200

I've sent them a letter as well.

If you're having this problem here in the U.S., please consider contacting Honda. Squeaky wheel thing.
They need to hear from us.

My dealer told me he was not confident in finding a fix with a 1 hour "analysis" when we couldn't replicate the problem at the shop and no warning/service info indicated on the bike. He said we may end up spending hours ($$$) chasing a fix, and recemmended contacting Honda. If under warranty, yes it would be a different matter.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2017 11:53 AM by pdedse.)
11-30-2017 11:49 AM
Dave Offline
High Mileage

San Diego, ca
Here's Honda's customer service info:

Kelly. 866-784-1870, extension 13810.

Motorcycle Division, American Honda Motor Company, Inc.
P.O. Box 2220
Torrance, California 90509 – 2200

I've sent them a letter as well.

If you're having this problem here in the U.S., please consider contacting Honda. Squeaky wheel thing.
They need to hear from us.

Thanks Paul. Please keep the forum updated on your progress.

My low idle / stalling has returned sporadically now, but it runs excellent in-between. Somehow my high idle has not returned in over six months.
11-30-2017 11:47 PM
Dave Offline
High Mileage

San Diego, ca
Here’s the latest concerning my low RPM/stalling turned high RPM (1,500 RPM), turned low RPM/stalling again situation. Maybe my post will give somebody an idea that may somehow lead to a solution? My bike had been running nearly perfectly for the past (approx.) 2,000 miles, and now the last three times I have ridden it after it reaches operating temperature it will go into the low RPM/stall mode when I attempt to allow it to idle in neutral at a stop light. I can keep it running by blipping the throttle, and if I blip the throttle enough times it will eventually “slowly” work its way from about 500-600 RPM up to the normal 1050 – 1100 RPM. I can definitely say the low RPM/stalling is not caused by excessive heat, or slow moving/stop-and-go driving. I reached home tonight when the bike was experiencing the low RPM/stalling condition and it stalled as I drove into my driveway. I turned off the key, and after getting a flashlight I unplugged the Engine Oil Temperature (EOT) sensor and restarted the bike. Mysteriously, it began idling fine, at approximately 1,050 RPM. I went on a short ride in the neighborhood and did multiple stop and goes, and the low RPM/stalling did not return. I returned home and turned the bike off with the key, and plugged the EOT sensor back in. I restarted the bike and it was idling fine. I went for a short stop-and-go ride around the neighborhood again and the low RPM/stalling condition came right back. I pulled into my driveway and kept the bike running by blipping the throttle until it eventually “slowly” worked its way back up to a normal, 1050 RPM idle. As I allowed the bike to sit and idle I disconnected the EOT sensor, and the engine immediately stalled. I restarted the bike (the key was never switched off), and with the EOT sensor disconnected the low RPM/stalling condition was back. I turned the bike off using the key and let it sit for about a minute, and restarted it. This time, with the EOT sensor disconnected, it returned to a normal idle. I turned the bike off with the key, plugged the EOT sensor back in and restarted it, and it was idling fine again. In frustration I put the bike in the garage and walked away. So my observation is this: If I am experiencing a low RPM/stalling condition and turn the bike off using the key and unplug the EOT sensor, the condition will go away when I restart it. If, when I am experiencing the low RPM/stalling condition and I disconnect the EOT sensor without turning the bike off using the key, the low RPM/stalling condition will not go away (it may actually get worse). For some reason the bike needs to be shut down prior to disconnecting the EOT sensor for this procedure to have any positive effect. Does this information possibly provide a hint to a solution to any of you guys out there who have a much better knowledge of how these computer-controlled fuel injection systems work?
12-01-2017 11:38 PM
max Online
Road Warrior

Auckland New Zealand
Hi Dave, i just got my 1100 some months ago and just found out where the iacv actually is, so i am very unqualified to deal with the problem.
Interesting effect with the eot sensor!

However, to me there are two ways the ecm can control the rpm of the bike:
1 : fuel delivery through injectors, and
2 : operate the iacv.

Can i suggest to disconnect the iacv ( unplug the connector ) and see what if any the effect has on the situation.
There will be a trouble code 38 on the engine light ( i have just tried it ) which will go away if the connector is re-connected.

It may have no effect at all but then we have another clue to work with.
This fault just intrigues me having read all the posts in this thread ( a very good one ).

The utterly unqualified; max
12-02-2017 12:33 AM
Dave Offline
High Mileage

San Diego, ca
Hi Max. Thank you very much for the feedback. After you unplugged your IACV did you try to start it?

I'll give it a try ASAP - been really busy with the holidays fast approaching.
12-03-2017 06:23 PM
SportsterDoc Offline
High Mileage

New Mexico
Dave

If you will provide resistances of the EOT at a couple sensor temperatures...

Then if someone with a FSM will post the acceptable ranges, we can determine if it is an EOT sensor issue.

Temperature sensors have various ranges, but all I have seen have max resistance cold and minimum resistance hot.

On a 5 vdc circuit, it will output 4 point something vdc cold and point something vdc hot. If the unit is faulty and/or a poor connection (causing voltage drop), a lower than scale read will fool the ECU into thinking it is too hot and the ecu may take counter measures.

Also, someone with a FSM, is there a trouble code for EOT out of range hi or out of range low?

23 Guzzi V7 SE 23 Yam XT250
18 Yam Bolt 22 Triumph St Twin 20 CanAm Ryker
14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 Guzzi V7II
17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S
03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360
70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2
70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160
67 Honda CB16062 Honda CA110
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 08:10 PM by SportsterDoc.)
12-03-2017 08:00 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Keep in mind we know about the EOT and idle speed when it is disconnected. A couple of guys then changed the EOT and the idle problem did not go away.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
12-04-2017 02:57 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
The same bike not even broken in with 1, . . .Ollie — 11:46 AM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,756

Full Statistics

>