Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Oil cooler
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
RE: Oil cooler
I think "attacked" is a bit strong. To me, removing the oil cooler, without making some other measures to control engine temp, is not a great idea. Just an opinion.

Cheers

Don't ride safe. It's boring.
03-14-2016 02:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tomas Offline
1st Service Completed

Michigan
(03-14-2016 02:42 PM)Pterodactyl Wrote:  I think "attacked" is a bit strong. To me, removing the oil cooler, without making some other measures to control engine temp, is not a great idea. Just an opinion.

Cheers

So you're assuming that no thought was put into removing the oil cooler, or the consequences of removing it. What I was looking for, was dialog and the feasibility of taking on such a project.

Cheers.............

"Greetings Earthlings"
03-14-2016 02:57 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Here is the thread: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....Oil+cooler

There are no attacks on you.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
03-14-2016 03:18 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
(03-14-2016 02:57 PM)tomas Wrote:  
(03-14-2016 02:42 PM)Pterodactyl Wrote:  I think "attacked" is a bit strong. To me, removing the oil cooler, without making some other measures to control engine temp, is not a great idea. Just an opinion.

Cheers

So you're assuming that no thought was put into removing the oil cooler, or the consequences of removing it. What I was looking for, was dialog and the feasibility of taking on such a project.

Cheers.............

Yep, that's what I'm assuming.

Cheers

Don't ride safe. It's boring.
03-14-2016 03:20 PM
WhiskeyUSMC1979 Offline
1st Service Completed

Marine Corps
Oil cooler

That is the curved one I spoke about in my previous post. More aesthetically pleasing in my eyes. Doesn't solve the issue of its location, if you want it gone altogether. It does, however, look more like it belongs there, instead of an afterthought. This is simply my humble and non-argumentative opinion.

Sent from an undisclosed location

I'll bring a knife to a gun fight.
Leave with a knife and a new gun.
03-14-2016 05:52 PM
kmoney Offline
High Mileage

Vancouver, BC
(03-14-2016 05:52 PM)WhiskeyUSMC1979 Wrote:  İmage

That is the curved one I spoke about in my previous post. More aesthetically pleasing in my eyes. Doesn't solve the issue of its location, if you want it gone altogether. It does, however, look more like it belongs there, instead of an afterthought. This is simply my humble and non-argumentative opinion.

I do like that one a lot more, if for no other reason that it's build quality is way better than the stocker (which looks like it came from one of those cheap transmission cooler kits you can buy). Too bad it doesn't use the factory hard lines though, as I'd probably trust them more than the AN fittings.
03-14-2016 06:04 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Bugger it! I feel like being argumentative. Tomas, if you think this thread or the response to your question nearly two years ago constitutes an 'attack', with respect, you're dreaming. The only faint hint of an attack was the suggestion that you take it off and see what happens. Otherwise, your view was treated with respect. As Long Ranger's question has been.

I have no engineering knowledge and no idea of what the consequences of removing the oil cooler would be; but surely you'd assume that the chaps at Honda have thought a bit about this. Does anyone seriously think they sat around after work one Friday night chugging an Asahi or two and said, 'Let's bugger the aesthetic of this otherwise beautiful bike by sticking on an oil cooler that some members of a putative future forum probably won't like'? (You can tell they'd had too much Asahi by their use of the word 'putative'.)

If you think the Honda engineers are dipsticks, then take the advice given to Tomas here: rip the bastard off, as we say here, down under. Go for it. Do your best. Let us know how (and for how long) the bike goes afterwards. We'll all be interested.

Meanwhile, please don't assume that, because we think you're crazy and say so politely, we're attacking you. We're not. We just disagree.
03-15-2016 04:30 AM
capttwb136 Offline
Running Like a Top

Delmarva peninsula, Maryland eastern shore
Thinking back about the early days of Japanese bikes, over heating wasn't really a problem until they started making bikes over 1000 cc's. I believe that is when we started getting water cooled motorcycles. I remember the first bike that really gave me problems with over heating, that was my XS1100 Yamaha. It was air cooled and did not have a oil cooler. So I would assume the oil cooler is a necessity on the CB1100 for reliability. Nothing worse than having your bike shut off in traffic from over heating. It happened to me quite a few times on that XS1100. I think it would be a big mistake removing the oil cooler on the CB1100.

2014 CB 1100
2012 BMW K1600 GTL
03-15-2016 05:16 AM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Capt,

Your experience is pretty much what Kevin Cameron and the Honda engineers said. Removing it is not a good idea.

Moving it however could be a cool thing, but not one I could do and know it still works right. How does one get air flow over the cooler if mounted under the fender or something? Would you need a fan? Could you speak to that Tomas?

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2016 05:47 AM by Lord Popgun.)
03-15-2016 05:45 AM
WhiskeyUSMC1979 Offline
1st Service Completed

Marine Corps
Oil cooler
This is the only one I've seen moved, thus far. It's not exactly in a less conspicuous location though. Hahaha
Airflow is certainly an issue when you move the cooler. A fan could work, especially if it is in a location without much ambient air. Ducting would be crucial in my opinion. Something to ensure that when the bike is moving the air is flowing through the cooler. Then comes the issue of aesthetics once again in manufacturing ducts that don't look out of place and flow with the lines of the bike. Off the top of my head, I can't picture any place to move it and duct it, but it's early still and I haven't had my coffee.

I'll bring a knife to a gun fight.
Leave with a knife and a new gun.
03-15-2016 06:26 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
FWIW a motorcycle i buy represents m . . .Ollie — 06:24 AM