Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bonneville T120 first test - MCN
Paulb Offline
1st Service Completed

England
Bonneville T120 first test - MCN
A comprehensive 5 page test in this weeks MCN gives the new Triumph a good but not great review. Lots of comparisons are made between the T120 and the Truxton (tested last week) and Triumph might be wishing they had launched these two bike in reverse order. The T120 comes across as a competent cruiser with a couple of minor flaws whereas the Truxton appeared excellent in all departments. The main gripes with the T120 are: 18" front wheel (style over substance) with poor tyre selection which makes streering less positive, a sharp front brake caused by braided hoses and poor pad selection and a basic suspension setup. The bike still gets a 4 star rating and is presented as an excellent cruising/weekend bike but the problem is all in the name. Back in the 60's (and yes, I was riding Bonnies then) this bike was the ultimate cafe racer which was the benchmark for all sporty bikes. It got its name as a record breaker at Bonneville and therefore carries tremendous pedigree. It seems Triumph have now aimed this bike at people like me (much older and slower) but I think this is a mistake. I want to remember the Bonnie as it was or see its character carried forward for today's sporty riders and I'll move on to other bikes more suited to my riding style. I remember a driving holiday I had in the US back in the 90's when I treated myself to a Ford Mustang hire car and the feeling of disappointment I experienced at the 'old man' performance, an iconic name tarnished by a marketing department.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2016 05:17 PM by The ferret.)
03-16-2016 02:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Bonnelville T120 first test - MCN
The same can be said for the CB1100. The breathtaking performance machine that was the CB750, now reimagined as a mild- mannered retro. These retro bikes are aimed at older blokes who remember their wild youth but don't necessarily want to fully relive it. And some younger enthusiasts who dig the style. Triumph is and will continue to make a great business out of their complete line of retros, it wouldn't surprise me if Triumph launches a 'Speed Twin' variant of the Bonnie in a year or so, with some performance goodies from the Thruxton R. I hope Honda decides to invest in performance iterations of the CB as well.

I also have a Speed Triple, which is now Triumph's defacto performance standard, and carries the brand's torch nicely.

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2016 03:15 AM by Capo.)
03-16-2016 03:15 AM
Paulb Offline
1st Service Completed

England
RE: Bonnelville T120 first test - MCN
(03-16-2016 03:15 AM)Capo Wrote:  The same can be said for the CB1100. The breathtaking performance machine that was the CB750, now reimagined as a mild- mannered retro. These retro bikes are aimed at older blokes who remember their wild youth but don't necessarily want to fully relive it. And some younger enthusiasts who dig the style. Triumph is and will continue to make a great business out of their complete line of retros, it wouldn't surprise me if Triumph launches a 'Speed Twin' variant of the Bonnie in a year or so, with some performance goodies from the Thruxton R. I hope Honda decides to invest in performance iterations of the CB as well.

I also have a Speed Triple, which is now Triumph's defacto performance standard, and carries the brand's torch nicely.

I fully agree with you and I'm sure the Bonneville will be a great success. I love the CB1100 for what it is and admit that the CB750 was not a bike I was associated with back in the day. I suppose I'm just a bit nostalgic about the Bonnie and I would like it to be a little most sport orientated. Wouldn't it be interesting if the Triumph and Norton factories could come together and produce a modern Triton !!
03-16-2016 03:47 AM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
As an owner of a '61 Bonnie, the new engine configuration rules it right out of my idea of what a Bonneville is, or was. Let me quote "Seddo", who shares my feelings.

Quote: I'm as excited as anybody about the new 1200cc engines, but as well as being water cooled, they have their crankpins set at 90/270 degrees. They'll be smoother and faster, but the Pistons will no longer rise and fall together as they have since 1938. The existing 360 air cooled engines will be discontinued and Triumphs will no longer sound like Triumphs.

So the modern Bonnie, like a zombie creature risen from the dead, has finally met its end at the hands of the litre plus demon and the greenie monster.

Cheers

Don't ride safe. It's boring.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2016 07:42 PM by Pterodactyl.)
03-16-2016 07:41 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Test I've read said 79 bhp@6500 rpms for the T120. a little less than the CB1100 at peak, but also at 1000 roms lower in the rev range..the Triumph weighs a bit less.

Should be an easy bike to ride.

I think they have done a good job of making it "look" better than the previous model as well and from reports it sounds better than the previous model ( but then it would have to)

However...it's still no late 60s Bonnies. The originals are still the best looking, and best sounding Brit bikes imo.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
03-16-2016 08:25 PM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
(03-16-2016 03:15 AM)Capo Wrote:  ...... it wouldn't surprise me if Triumph launches a 'Speed Twin' variant of the Bonnie in a year or so, with some performance goodies from the Thruxton R.

Like Jack Nicholson in the Shining, it is already axing its way through our doors with the the 2016 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin. Another 270 degree crank, liquid cooled, SOHC with drive (yes DRIVE!) by wire everything. Pulls just over 50 HP. Irrespective of me being the archetype of Capo's "old man", I feel my '10 model CB is a much more palatable "retro".

Cheers

In addition, Kawasaki made a better triumph retro than Triumph. “The horror! The horror!"

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2016 10:50 PM by Pterodactyl.)
03-16-2016 10:24 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
(03-16-2016 10:24 PM)Pterodactyl Wrote:  
(03-16-2016 03:15 AM)Capo Wrote:  ...... it wouldn't surprise me if Triumph launches a 'Speed Twin' variant of the Bonnie in a year or so, with some performance goodies from the Thruxton R.

Like Jack Nicholson in the Shining, it is already axing its way through our doors with the the 2016 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin. Another 270 degree crank, liquid cooled, SOHC with drive (yes DRIVE!) by wire everything. Pulls just over 50 HP. Irrespective of me being the archetype of Capo's "old man", I feel my '10 model CB is a much more palatable "retro".

Cheers

In addition, Kawasaki made a better triumph retro than Triumph. “The horror! The horror!"

Yeah, progress can hurt. I know some people who still like flip phones too! My reference to a Speed Twin was for a 1200CC Bonnie with the Thruxton R goodies, not the 900cc Street. I can't wait for the new Thruxton R to arrive, I'll determine whether I keep the CB after simultaneous ownership for a few months. But to scratch the old itch, I'll always keep this in the fleet:

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
Probably others.
03-17-2016 07:11 AM
Pterodactyl Offline
Road Warrior

Sydney, Australia
I know what you mean. This is mine.

Cheers

03-17-2016 12:03 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Bonnelville T120 first test - MCN
Spectacular!

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
Probably others.
03-17-2016 04:39 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
I know that I keep repeating myself when it comes to those old Triumphs, but to my eye they are perhaps the most beautiful motorcycles ever built.

Triumph can't win when it comes to guys like me because in my mind they set the design bar so high back then. Their current offerings do a really nice job of mixing good looks with modern features (and we all know what a positive that is). But when it comes down to purely looks. the two machines owned by you gentlemen are just in a different league from my perspective

Really fantastic looking bikes. Thanks for sharing!

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
03-17-2016 06:32 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
no kidding....that's just a picture too. . . .misterprofessionality — 07:34 AM