Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BRP, the Dragon and more Part 2
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
BRP, the Dragon and more Part 2
Wednesday we get up, enjoy the continental breakfast at the hotel and get ready for a full day. First stop was Fontana Dam. The dam was built in the 30s by the TVA. It is HUGE! Wen they open the gates, they can flow 2 million gallons a minute. We walked up and viewed it then rode across the top of it and back

Then we headed over to the Dragon. The Dragon is a curvy stretch of road, a Federal highway actually, US 129, that is shared by North Carolina and Tennessee. The section called the Dragon is 11 miles long and has 318 curves. A destination gathering area for sports cars, and motorcyclists with a store/restaurant on one end, and an overlook to a dam on the other end, that is just called "the overlook". Being a Federal Highway, cars and sometimes semis use the highway even tho trucks are discouraged from doing so due to the sharp bends. It is impossible for a semi to stay in his lane on this highway and many get stuck.

several photographers set up on the road to capture action shots to sell, Killboy.com and US129.com primarily . I already posted one from US129 in another thread.

After running the Dragon to the overlook, Jim and I ran into Robbinsville to the Huddle house for lunch..yes I had a salad, then we headed over to run the Cherahola Skyway just outside of Robbinsville. The Skyway is much like the BRP, lots of curves, up and down thru the mountains, clean, free of traffic, 45 mph speed limit, only. Little more open, more big sweepers than tight little curves. Its about 70 miles long, with many pull over observation points. We ran it both directions. Here's Jim running the Cherahola.

Near the end of the Cherahola there is a little side road. 6 miles back this winding tree lined road that follows a creek is a falls call Bald River Falls. Pretty falls and good photo op.

Here we are stopped at one of the overlooks with a terrific view and a set of rest rooms.

Day 3 was only about 230 miles, but they were quality roads. After getting back to the hotel, Jim decided not to eat, so I went to a local sportsbar and got a big ol cheeseburger and fries for dinner. Oh and today we ran out of luck on the rain. On the way back to the motel from the Cherahola, the skies darkened the wind picked up and down it came. For 30 mins it rained hard. Of course I had left my rain gear in the room, but my cordura jacket and pants kept out the bulk of it, but my gloves were soaked. Luckily I had brought a back up pair which I used on the rest of the trip.

Day 4 we planned to spend part of the day at the Wheels Thru Time Museum in Maggie Valley. We got there shortly after they opened at 9 and spent the next several hours walking around looking at all the old motorcycles and cars. This is an American Museum so it was primarily old Harleys and Indians, dating back into the 19 teens, but for the true enthusiast the smattering of Rudges, Aces, Reading Standards, Pierces, and Traubs made it an enthusiasts paradise.... And supposedly they all run.

When we came out of the museum I found a note on my seat. It was from Kathi V, the owner of the CB 1100 in the Comfort Inn parking lot. She has since joined the forum I am pleased to say.

After leaving the museum we headed down thru Cherokee and into the Smoky Mtns National Park on Highway 441 which runs up over the mountain from Cherokee NC to Gatlinberg Tenn. We only planned to ride up to the overlook at Newfound Gap due to traffic. Unlike the Cherahola or BRP the National Park is choked with tourists. It's a great ride if you go early or late before tourists wake up and after they go to dinner. Unfortunately we were there mid day, and there was too much traffic to suit us. We rode to Newfound Gap, looked at the view took a couple of pics and headed back the way we had came.

Newfound Gap

Due to the museum visit we only got in 150 miles today before heading back to the motel, but tomorrow we would leave for home and some rest would be nice, plus I wanted an especially nice meal for my last. About 4 pm we headed down to the fanciest restaurant in town and I ordered a half rack of ribs, a baked potatoe, a side salad and hot tea. it was great. I asked if theybhad peach cobbler for dessert, but alas they did not. So we skipped dessert and headed for the room.

While laying there relaxing (watching Big Bang Theory actually) I looked out the window and spotted a CB 1100 on a trailer in the parking lot. I grabbed my camera and ran outside. There I met Mike and his son who had come down to ride some of the roads we had been riding all week. Mike was already a forum member although he only lurks. Nice guy.

It rained all night, but had quit by morning. We packed up our bikes and I snapped this pic of mine and Mikes in the parking lot. seemed strange to see so many CBs in one area, between mine, Mikes, Kathis and another we saw riding on highway 80, the detour we took off the BRP.

Snapped this pic of Jim as we slabbed it home thru NC, Tenn, Ky and Ohio. 371 miles worth of nothing below 70 mph lol.

The CB ran like what you'd expect the CB to run like. Flawless, smooth, perfect...it never even required a chain adjustment, just one lube after riding in the rain on Wednesday. Jim's Harley didn't give any trouble either. Oh, the times they are a changing lol.

Good trip!

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
07-22-2013 12:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wildezt Offline
Running Like a Top

United States
RE: BRP, the Dragon and more Part 2
Awesome !! Thankyou for sharing with us .. Mr.Ferret..!

let's roll...The ferret
07-22-2013 01:13 PM
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
My son and I were there campnig for two weeks in June. My favorite part by far is the Cherohala Skyway. 43 miles of driving perfection.

Go hagofuku yourself.
07-22-2013 01:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
The Cherahola is indeed a special road. Probably a little boring for die hard sport bike riders which make it perfect for me.

Defender of the Realm
07-22-2013 04:08 PM
CA200 Offline
High Mileage

Madison Wi.
Some great pictures ferret! Really like the waterfall shot.
Heading out today for a overnight trip to western Wi. along the Miss.river.
07-23-2013 06:12 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(07-23-2013 06:12 AM)CA200 Wrote:  Some great pictures ferret! Really like the waterfall shot.
Heading out today for a overnight trip to western Wi. along the Miss.river.

Pretty over there Ca. Have fun, be safe.

Defender of the Realm
07-23-2013 06:31 AM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
Great writeup. Thank you for taking the time to do that. For about 10 minutes you took me out of AZ's 110 degree heat to ride along with you. Wish I had been there.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
07-24-2013 12:49 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(07-24-2013 12:49 AM)ChipBeck Wrote:  Great writeup. Thank you for taking the time to do that. For about 10 minutes you took me out of AZ's 110 degree heat to ride along with you. Wish I had been there.

Chip

Me too Chip, ..you would have enjoyed it.

Defender of the Realm
07-24-2013 04:37 AM
bronx boy Offline
Break-In Period

the bronx, ny
i love that part of the country. and i too more enjoy the sweepers than the tight curves....could be an age thing. nice job

drum bun
bronx boy

2013 cb1100
2012 gldwing
2006 fjr1300
07-30-2013 06:15 PM
Dave in WI Offline
New To The Forum

Madison, WI
Thanks for the ride report and pictures. I need to get down to that area again.
07-30-2013 06:50 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974