Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rally Down Under
Nemo Offline
High Mileage

Jacksonville, FL
RE: Rally Down Under
My motorcycle trips for 2016 are already planned. If this was scheduled for 2017 it would be much more feasible. Australia in autumn sounds like a great vacation. For cost considerations I'd suggest flying to/from the same place (also same spot for rental bike return).

Starting piggy bank Thumbs Up

N

“It is easier for me to be forgiving of the stupid than of the evil."
EmptySea

#BLACKBIKESMATTER
04-17-2016 10:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Thanks for the interest.

Some preliminary thoughts:
  1. I'll plan for 2017.
  2. World Superbikes are in February and I suspect that may make things difficult as I don't know how easy accommodation is.
  3. Easter Sunday (both conventional and Orthodox) is on 16 April 2017. I think this is a bit late to go riding in some of the places I'm thinking about as the weather is more likely to be cooling significantly.
  4. Given 2 and 3, I'll plan for March—perhaps for 5 days or so riding?
  5. Subject to further thinking, I think I'll aim for Sydney as a start-finish point.
While I'd like to have lots more thoughts from people who might be interested in a ride in Australia, I'll likely observe radio silence for a bit (on this topic at least) while I have a bit more of a think and consult with an ancient bird of my acquaintance.
04-17-2016 07:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Inhouse Bob Offline
Road Warrior

NoVA
(04-17-2016 06:10 AM)ride4now Wrote:  You know... if this gets started for 2017... and if the timing works... I might actually consider doing this. Of course I'd probably have to bring my wife along (which is ok) and she doesn't ride, so I'd need to figure what she'd do for a few days. But wow, what a better way to see my two Ozzie friends again as well as part of their beautiful country!!
My non-riding wife would be coming along as well. Maybe we can work together to keep them happy while we play.
Where do our OZ Bros. actually live? When I Google, I'll need to know where to look. Perhaps if y'all could post a rough map of the proposed riding areas and maybe the proposed routes (like where the GP races take place and such), that'll help us parochial louts from 'merica get a sense of the whole thing.
Tracey and I have been talking about a trip down under for years, so this is an exciting first step. I hope it comes together!
04-18-2016 06:55 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
If it would work out for me, my pillion riding wife would naturally be coming along as well. Can just see me telling her I would be going to Australia to ride motorcycles without her..lol yea right

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-18-2016 06:58 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I will consider this, but time and budget constraints may prove problematic. I, like Ferret, could never pull off the "I'm going to Australia...to ride motorcycles...without you" directive.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
04-18-2016 07:22 AM
Chapomis Offline
High Mileage

Cape Cod
(04-18-2016 06:55 AM)Inhouse Bob Wrote:  
(04-17-2016 06:10 AM)ride4now Wrote:  You know... if this gets started for 2017... and if the timing works... I might actually consider doing this. Of course I'd probably have to bring my wife along (which is ok) and she doesn't ride, so I'd need to figure what she'd do for a few days. But wow, what a better way to see my two Ozzie friends again as well as part of their beautiful country!!
My non-riding wife would be coming along as well. Maybe we can work together to keep them happy while we play.
Where do our OZ Bros. actually live? When I Google, I'll need to know where to look. Perhaps if y'all could post a rough map of the proposed riding areas and maybe the proposed routes (like where the GP races take place and such), that'll help us parochial louts from 'merica get a sense of the whole thing.
Tracey and I have been talking about a trip down under for years, so this is an exciting first step. I hope it comes together!

Same here. My wife would be coming to OZ with me, but not on the bike. I sure 3 ladies can find plenty to do. We are definitely interested.

(04-16-2016 03:07 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Perhaps in jest, Chapomis asked:

(04-15-2016 05:14 PM)Chapomis Wrote:  When is the OZ Rally ?

The answer is 'there isn't one'.

BUT

That could all change. I'm prepared to organise one if there is any interest. I can see two options for timing—later in 2016 or early 2017.

I can also see three options for the nature of the event—
  1. We could emulate the US rally and find a base somewhere from which to ride out for a couple of days.
  2. We could ride from a starting point to a different finishing point. That might be a more interesting option if Chapomis and others from overseas are planning to come. It might, though, make bike rental more difficult and expensive as there's likely to be a charge if the bike is returned to a different location.
  3. As an alternative to the second option, we could time the rally to coincide with the WSBK or the MotoGP and ride from, say, Sydney to Philip Island for the event. People with time could do the return ride; others could leave in Melbourne.

Over to you.

No Jest !

2014 CB1100 Deluxe, Kawa Gaiters, OEM heated grips, K&H Cafe seat, Kijima guards (inadequate), Chic short red rear fender, CB500 mirrors, barbacks and RLETs
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2016 08:15 AM by Chapomis.)
04-18-2016 08:14 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
OK.

WAGS (Wives and Girlfriends) are definitely welcome whether they ride, pillion, follow along in a car or do their own thing entirely. Australia's a reasonably large place and there's a fair bit to do.

Interested riding mates are also welcome, but make sure you bag the available rental bikes!

For In-house Bob's benefit, this gives you an idea of the size of Australia compared with the USA.

İmage*

You can then checkout the map here which I hope will show 4 things:
  1. Brisbane
  2. Sydney
  3. SE Victoria
  4. A possible riding area
If all goes to plan, when you click on the red markers you should see who lives in what place in a sidebar to the left of the screen. You should also see agree polygon south of Sydney which is a possible riding area which includes the Omeo Highway (follow this link to Pterodactyl's video or see below).

Although only 450 kms or 280 miles, it's a decent day's ride from Sydney to the northern reaches of the riding area (about 6 hours) and there's another good day's ride to Omeo—which you should be able to see near the centre of the left-hand side of the shaded area. Pterodactyl knows the area better than me, but there are rides for another day or two riding out from Omeo and returning there as a base.

It's nearly 1,000 kms from Brisbane to Sydney and more if you take the scenic route; 900 kms from Sydney to Melbourne and, again, more via the scenic (read interesting) roads.

Although—again in my opinion—it's missed one of the best of the roads the website, BestBikngRoads.com will give you some ideas. See here for Victoria and here for NSW.

Motorcycle Paradise, a blog written by a former CB1100 owner, has a section on Australian roads—see here.

*It you want to play with this see http://www.thetruesize.com.
04-19-2016 12:28 AM
ride4now Offline
High Mileage

Florida / Georgia USA
Early March would probably work for me. Cormanus, I see no reason to get involved in deciding the route, miles to ride each day, etc., as speaking for myself at least, I have no bloody idea whether it's good or not. That would be your call. (We can always hold back your wine if it turns out to be a dud... ). All I ask is that you keep the scenery interesting (no deserts for me...) and that we fly in and out of the same big city so that the wives who don't ride will have things to do while we're out living it up. 5 days of riding could be a bit much for me... 4 might be better... but that's probably immaterial at this point. By the way... Thanks for 'volunteering' to put this together... Clap I hope it works out.

‘22 BMW R1250 GSA
‘14 Honda CB1100 DLX
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
‘70 Kawasaki H1 500
04-19-2016 02:27 AM
Chapomis Offline
High Mileage

Cape Cod
I haven't accessed the maps yet, they don't work on my iPad, but I agree with ride4now in that you guys know the territory, so should decide the routes riden. Jane and I plan on making this a 2 to 3 week adventure with the "RDU" being anywhere during the time, we will plan the rest of our stay around the RDU. I'm wondering now....was I jesting ? Smile Nope, I have wanted to get to Austrailia for a long time and what better way to see it than on a motorcycle....and to have Native Guides !!! Many thanks in advance Worship

I like Cormanus's suggestion of the WAGS following along in a car. Not following at the same pace or even the same route, but having set meeting places for the night at least, maybe lunch as well, maybe. I will in most likely hood be renting a car for the whole trip, so if Jane follows she will have room for 3 other Wags and gear with a big enough vehicle. This also gives a Wag the option of pinioning for a half day.

2014 CB1100 Deluxe, Kawa Gaiters, OEM heated grips, K&H Cafe seat, Kijima guards (inadequate), Chic short red rear fender, CB500 mirrors, barbacks and RLETs
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2016 03:17 AM by Chapomis.)
04-19-2016 03:00 AM
kennyw Offline
High Mileage

Gold Bar
Depending on how bad my student loan payments are when they come due... I'm interested in heading out there as well.

KennyW
04-23-2016 09:51 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Milestone Thread (Take 2)
Go Django! Interesting it doesn’t sa . . .Django — 11:40 PM
Sundays with Cheryl
Alright Cheryl's back riding. Been waiti . . .The ferret — 06:23 PM