Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
When your oil filter wrenches won't work?!?
Huladog Offline
1st Service Completed

Hawaii
When your oil filter wrenches won't work?!?
You know when you tried all of your old oil filter wrenches from the strap type to the cap types and none will get a decent grip on the small Honda oil filter?

You're too lazy to drive to the auto parts store so you scour your tool options. The last resort plumbers pipe wrench wouldn't fit because of the headers. Didn't want to go total cave man and poke a big screwdriver through the filter can. What to do?

Then I remembered my woodworkers-oil-filter-wrench:

Ä°mage

Crude? Yes. Simple? Yes. Fits around the headers and oil line? Yes. I have a bunch of different sized C-clamps inherited from my father who was a woodworker.

That factory filter is really TIGHT but the C-clamp could make enough of a dent to get a good enough grip to loosen the filter, then I could just unscrew by hand.

Here in Honolulu the city approved way to get rid of your engine oil is to drain it into that absorbent filled plastic bag inside of a cardboard box. Wire tie, tape up the box and put in the city provide trash bin where they take it to the trash-to-power incinerator.

Another idea for keeping your garage floor clean from the inevitable drips during an oil change or chain lube is to tape a puppy pee pad onto some cardboard and position that under your bike. Puppy pee pad should be good for several oil changes unless you really mess up. Yeah, you parents of young ones could use a disposable diaper instead. Or you oldsters could use Depends.

Aloha,
Huladog
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2013 11:10 PM by Huladog.)
07-22-2013 11:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
RE: When your oil filter wrenches won't work?!?
That's a great idea. I wouldn't have expected a C clamp would grip tight enough to remove a stuck filter, but obviously I was wrong.

Our city has a waste to power plant as well. I went on a field trip with my sons school and was very impressed. They burn everything that comes in, and claim their emissions are below a standard oil fired plant. They recover metal from the ashes and the landfill they have that was supposed to close a decade ago will stay open for at least another 20 years because only ashes are going into it now. And, as you point out, waste oil can now be safely diposed of in the trash.

Go hagofuku yourself.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2013 05:32 AM by The Spaceman.)
07-23-2013 04:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
(07-23-2013 04:48 AM)The Spaceman Wrote:  I wouldn't have expected a C clamp would grip tight enough to remove a stuck filter,

Yea, me either. I would probably flip it around the other way though with the C part on the bottom for turning counter clockwise.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2013 05:06 AM by The ferret.)
07-23-2013 05:04 AM
mininsx Offline
Running Like a Top

Central Kentucky
My "oil filter wrench" is a big pair of Channel Locks. Works every time!

'13 CB1100
'08 Concours 14
07-23-2013 08:15 AM
Huladog Offline
1st Service Completed

Hawaii
Quote:I wouldn't have expected a C clamp would grip tight enough to remove a stuck filter,

Yea, me either. I would probably flip it around the other way though with the C part on the bottom for turning counter clockwise.

I tried it the other way but the clamp ran into clearance problems with the header and oil line. The other way makes more sense, but the way I used it provided the clearance needed.

Yep, if I had a big-@ss Channel Lock I would use that for sure!

To save me grief the next time I went ahead and ordered the Honda oil filter cap wrench thing with the filter.

Aloha,
Huladog
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2013 10:56 AM by Huladog.)
07-23-2013 10:55 AM
The Spaceman Offline
Road Warrior

First Amendment Street
"the Honda oil filter cap wrench thing with the filter."

Has anybody tried that on our bikes? I cut down a two-size cap wrench so only the lower half was left (that being the half that fit our filter, of course). Anyway, it didn't look any bigger than the one Honda sells, but with a ratchet handle it wouldn't clear the headers. I'm wondering why the Honda tool would be any better.

Go hagofuku yourself.
07-23-2013 11:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Huladog Offline
1st Service Completed

Hawaii
Allow me to clarify. It's this Honda OEM part number 15010-mce-h51 that vfrpaul98 posted about in this topic: http://www.cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=214

Sure you can find a similar tool at the local auto parts store if you remember to bring along a clean unused Honda filter to test fit.

I was lazy so I ordered it on eBay from a Honda dealer and I'll mark it "Honda" so I'll know what its for when it gets lost in my tool box.

Aloha,
Huladog
07-23-2013 01:05 PM
ron1100 Offline
1st Service Completed

Houston, TX
This one has yet to fail me on any of the past and current Honda bikes: http://wingstuff.com/products/30448-3-in...m_search=1
07-24-2013 05:04 AM
Huladog Offline
1st Service Completed

Hawaii
(07-24-2013 05:04 AM)ron1100 Wrote:  This one has yet to fail me on any of the past and current Honda bikes: http://wingstuff.com/products/30448-3-in...m_search=1

That is a cool-tool for sure. Wished I had known about that one before I ordered the Honda OEM tool!

As designed it would make the simple oil change even simpler. Heck, I'm going to order one anyway.

Aloha,
Huladog
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2013 12:59 PM by Huladog.)
07-24-2013 12:57 PM
AzBob Offline
Running Like a Top

Chandler, AZ, USA
Since the CBR1000RR and the CB1100 use the same oil filter, I already had the Honda wrench. Dog pee pads? How much oil do you spill? Usually, I don't spill any.
07-24-2013 01:17 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was a . . .GoldOxide — 04:34 PM
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was almos . . .Lord Popgun — 03:56 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… :DLord Popgun — 03:55 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
There could always be worse headlines . . .Gone in 60 — 03:10 PM
Todays weather
Today was overcast and it reached about . . .GoldOxide — 02:53 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That is very pretty! I'm a bit chal . . .GoldOxide — 02:46 PM
First time out this season now that Iâ . . .GoldOxide — 02:43 PM
Let's see your CB1100 out on the road!
Yikes A-man! Glad to read you sailed th . . .GoldOxide — 02:39 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992
» Forum posts: 330,380

Full Statistics

>