Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
RELOCATION OF REAR TURN SIGNALS
ART Offline
Break-In Period

Cincinnati
RELOCATION OF REAR TURN SIGNALS
Has anyone moved there rear turn signals yet to make room for saddlebags? If so I am looking for a source to purchase what is needed to move mine. I am aware Samurider has a kit, but I was looking for something a little more local.
07-23-2013 06:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Joola Offline
Running Like a Top

Los Angeles
RE: RELOCATION OF REAR TURN SIGNALS
Check out the bags/mod renko has.

[size=x-small]719 Gel Grips, Tandem Grip, Chrome Chain Guard and Meter Covers, K&H Hi Seat, Lucas Taillight, ViziTec Modulator, Painted Headlight Bucket[/size]
07-23-2013 06:37 PM
Chuckk Offline
High Mileage

ventura, ca.
(07-23-2013 06:29 PM)ART Wrote:  Has anyone moved there rear turn signals yet to make room for saddlebags? If so I am looking for a source to purchase what is needed to move mine. I am aware Samurider has a kit, but I was looking for something a little more local.
art.. I took my rear directionals completely off, installed small hard bags, then mounted yellow LED's onto the hard bags .. works well.. the LED's will give you a hyper-flash (rapid blinking) but I like it ..
02-03-2019 08:12 PM
GoldOxide Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Southern Ontario, Canada
Everyone will look at the hyper-flash like deer-in-the-headlights. Watch your butt at night. Smile

- - -

Post a sample pic. Curious.

>>> Spring is an extension to the riding season. ¯\(ツ)/¯ <<<
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2019 08:17 PM by GoldOxide.)
02-03-2019 08:16 PM
Chuckk Offline
High Mileage

ventura, ca.
(02-03-2019 08:16 PM)GoldOxide Wrote:  Everyone will look at the hyper-flash like deer-in-the-headlights. Watch your butt at night. Smile

- - -

Post a sample pic. Curious.

I'm not too sure about that G.O. .. I am drawing my opinion from other bikes that I have seen with the hyper-flash.. I didn't feel like a moth, drawn to the flame.. I have asked my friends that ride with me, their thoughts.. they have said the LED's were nice and bright and worked well .. none of them ran into the back of me !! .. of course, I ride a little faster than they do !! .. haha ... chuckk j.
02-04-2019 09:15 AM
SportsterDoc Offline
High Mileage

New Mexico
California has an administrative code, in addition to vehicle code (and penal code and health & welfare code, etc.)

Title 13, Division 2, Chapter 2, Article 7 is excerpted below.

§ 699. Turn Signal Lamps.
Turn signal lamps shall be mounted and operated as follows:

(a) ...Front and rear turn signal lamps on motorcycles shall be at least 23 cm (9 in.) apart, except that front turn signals on motorcycles manufactured after January 1, 1973, shall be at least 40 cm (16 in.) apart. Turn signal lamps on other vehicles shall be spaced as far apart as practical. The optical axis of the front turn signal lamp shall be at least 10 cm (4 in.), or as specified by FMVSS 108 in effect at the time of vehicle manufacture, from the inside diameter of the retaining ring of the lower beam headlamp unit, fog lamp unit or passing lamp unit. Additional turn signal lamps may be mounted closer than the 10 cm (4 in.) dimension provided the primary lamps equal or exceed that distance. Original equipment turn signals that emit two and one-half times the minimum candela requirements may be closer.

© Operation. Turn signal lamps visible to approaching or following drivers shall flash in unison, except that a turn signal consisting of two or more units mounted horizontally may flash in sequence from inboard to outboard. The lamps may be either extinguished simultaneously or lighted simultaneously. Turn signal lamps shall flash at a rate of 60 to 120 flashes per minute.

(d) Pilot Indicator. An effective visual signal operating at the same rate as the turn signal flasher shall be incorporated in the circuit to give clear and unmistakable indication to the driver that the turn signal lamps are turned on. Failure of one or more turn signals to operate shall be indicated by a steady-on, steady-off, or significant change in the flashing rate of the illuminated indicator, except on combinations of vehicles using a variable load flasher.

(f) Mounting Height. Required turn signal lamps shall be mounted at a height not less than 38 cm (15 in.) nor higher than 2.1 m (83 in.).

Flashing faster than two per second may be inviting a traffic stop.

23 Guzzi V7 SE 23 Yam XT250
18 Yam Bolt 22 Triumph St Twin 20 CanAm Ryker
14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 Guzzi V7II
17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S
03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360
70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2
70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160
67 Honda CB16062 Honda CA110
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2019 09:51 AM by SportsterDoc.)
02-04-2019 09:50 AM
Chuckk Offline
High Mileage

ventura, ca.
(02-04-2019 09:50 AM)SportsterDoc Wrote:  California has an administrative code, in addition to vehicle code (and penal code and health & welfare code, etc.)

Title 13, Division 2, Chapter 2, Article 7 is excerpted below.

§ 699. Turn Signal Lamps.
Turn signal lamps shall be mounted and operated as follows:

(a) ...Front and rear turn signal lamps on motorcycles shall be at least 23 cm (9 in.) apart, except that [b]front turn signals on motorcycles manufactured after January 1, 1973, shall be at least 40 cm (16 in.) apart. Turn signal lamps on other vehicles shall be spaced as far apart as practical. The optical axis of the front turn signal lamp shall be at least 10 cm (4 in.), or as specified by FMVSS 108 in effect at the time of vehicle manufacture, from the inside diameter of the retaining ring of the lower beam headlamp unit, fog lamp unit or passing lamp unit. Additional turn signal lamps may be mounted closer than the 10 cm (4 in.) dimension provided the primary lamps equal or exceed that distance. Original equipment turn signals that emit two and one-half times the minimum candela requirements may be closer.

© Operation. Turn signal lamps visible to approaching or following drivers shall flash in unison, except that a turn signal consisting of two or more units mounted horizontally may flash in sequence from inboard to outboard. The lamps may be either extinguished simultaneously or lighted simultaneously. Turn signal lamps shall flash at a rate of 60 to 120 flashes per minute.

(d) Pilot Indicator. An effective visual signal operating at the same rate as the turn signal flasher shall be incorporated in the circuit to give clear and unmistakable indication to the driver that the turn signal lamps are turned on. Failure of one or more turn signals to operate shall be indicated by a steady-on, steady-off, or significant change in the flashing rate of the illuminated indicator, except on combinations of vehicles using a variable load flasher.

(f) Mounting Height. Required turn signal lamps shall be mounted at a height not less than 38 cm (15 in.) nor higher than 2.1 m (83 in.).

Flashing faster than two per second may be inviting a traffic stop.
doc.. now you have got me thinking .. I have incorporated a beeper into my directionals.. right now I am recreating the beep-beep-beep in my mind.. I have heard it so often, I know it's pattern by heart.. I'm thinking it will fall right at the 120 flashes per minute.. maybe 2 pulses per second.. the location of the directionals fall within the acceptable parameters I believe .. I will try to post a pic later.. chuckk j.
[/b]
02-04-2019 10:16 AM
SportsterDoc Offline
High Mileage

New Mexico
Chuck, when I first installed LED turns on one of my Yamahas (before changing the flasher) they were close to 180 flashes per minute. I did not try it on the CB1100, since the front runs and turns are a single element with lower voltage for running lights.

23 Guzzi V7 SE 23 Yam XT250
18 Yam Bolt 22 Triumph St Twin 20 CanAm Ryker
14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 Guzzi V7II
17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S
03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360
70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2
70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160
67 Honda CB16062 Honda CA110
02-04-2019 12:31 PM
Chuckk Offline
High Mileage

ventura, ca.
(02-04-2019 12:31 PM)SportsterDoc Wrote:  Chuck, when I first installed LED turns on one of my Yamahas (before changing the flasher) they were close to 180 flashes per minute. I did not try it on the CB1100, since the front runs and turns are a single element with lower voltage for running lights.

doc, I am hoping to send a very short video of my directionals in operation.. now I use a beeper, connected to the directionals.. that slight current draw may slow down the hyper-flash a little .. chuckk j.
02-04-2019 04:00 PM
peterbaron Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
This is Chuckk's project, not mine. I just post this clip for him
Smile

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 113K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
02-04-2019 04:28 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition