Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21 Days Under The Sky
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
RE: 21 Days Under The Sky
I guess I was wondering to whom you were referring when you said "but I see how riders with somewhat less than half a million miles of riding might find it "light entertainment"

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
05-05-2016 07:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(05-05-2016 07:42 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  I guess I was wondering to whom you were referring when you said "but I see how riders with somewhat less than half a million miles of riding might find it "light entertainment"
OK well, it's not just the miles, it's the years. Miles? I am referring to me but I stopped counting years ago. I live where the riding season is 12 months a year and it starts to add up. But to me, an old guy, it just looks like a gimmick to some degree. Like, "let's see how hard we can make this on ourselves, but we really won't be in any danger because we got a film crew and phones and wireless and satellites and stuff, GPS and all that jazz." Sort of like Ewan MacGregor with all those chase trucks and stuff.

But again let me be clear, I am not a killjoy and the last thing I'd ever want to see is someone try to take away another guy's sense of adventure, as long as he ain't doing anything to put other folks in danger.

(05-05-2016 07:40 PM)The ferret Wrote:  My son got me Helge bookk for Christmas one year. Those world traveller type dudes are seriously tough mentally. BMW break down in the middle of the Peruvian jungle? Ahhh no big deal lol
The guy is a nut, certifiably but in a good way. I met him at an annual bike show, no one knew who he was then. He autographed my copy of the book, a very, very cool dude. I like the passage where he bagged on the BMW high-mileage guys ("Adventure Bike" was not even a term then) for leaving all the smashed bugs on their windscreens as a badge of honor.

Of course, these days, he is all dialed in with an off-road "Adventure Touring" school and such. And much, much grayer but a big smile on his face.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2016 08:01 PM by Ulvetanna.)
05-05-2016 07:58 PM
JustCruising Offline
1st Service Completed

UK
(05-05-2016 06:57 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  Pretty good way to spend 70 minutes. Thanks for the tip, Just Cruisin

Thumbs Up
05-06-2016 06:22 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
(05-05-2016 07:58 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 07:42 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  I guess I was wondering to whom you were referring when you said "but I see how riders with somewhat less than half a million miles of riding might find it "light entertainment"
OK well, it's not just the miles, it's the years. Miles? I am referring to me but I stopped counting years ago. I live where the riding season is 12 months a year and it starts to add up. But to me, an old guy, it just looks like a gimmick to some degree. Like, "let's see how hard we can make this on ourselves, but we really won't be in any danger because we got a film crew and phones and wireless and satellites and stuff, GPS and all that jazz." Sort of like Ewan MacGregor with all those chase trucks and stuff.

But again let me be clear, I am not a killjoy and the last thing I'd ever want to see is someone try to take away another guy's sense of adventure, as long as he ain't doing anything to put other folks in danger.

Thanks for clearing up your point. I don't think the riders' ages or their accumulated riding miles has much to do with whether their "adventure" was gimmicky or not. The concept of the trip was no more of a gimmick than someone doing one of the Iron Butt rides, but that's sort of the nature of the beast I think. They really did ride from coast to coast and on some pretty uncomfortable looking bikes which were not designed for this purpose. That alone made it worth watching, especially since it was just over an hour long and interestingly filmed/edited.

But here are the questions I really need answered: At the beginning of the film, Josh is shown heading out leaving his significant other in the doorway, rides down his street and crosses a river via a big white bridge. I inferred that I was watching him ride out to meet his compatriots, but I recognized the bridge he crosses. As it happens, I rode across it about 6 days ago. It's in Rockford, IL and crosses the Rock River. A quick Google search tells me that Josh lives in Rockford. So, did he ride his custom and handmade bike from Rockford to San Francisco and then back to New York? If so, I would have thought that worthy of note. If not, then why the footage of him pulling out of his driveway?

Like I said, though, it's a good way to spend 70 minutes.

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
05-06-2016 08:11 AM
MMC Offline
Running Like a Top

Fountain Valley California
I watched it, interesting and entertaining although slow. I had to do it in two sittings. My question is, did they ride back home?

"Road" is a good one to watch on Netflix

Sent from me......
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 01:14 PM by MMC.)
05-06-2016 01:08 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I really enjoyed "Road", too.

MTC

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
05-06-2016 01:17 PM
JustCruising Offline
1st Service Completed

UK
(05-06-2016 01:08 PM)MMC Wrote:  I watched it, interesting and entertaining although slow. I had to do it in two sittings. My question is, did they ride back home?

"Road" is a good one to watch on Netflix

Sent from me......

I'll check that one out soon, cheers.

(05-06-2016 08:11 AM)EmptySea Wrote:  ...........
But here are the questions I really need answered: At the beginning of the film, Josh is shown heading out leaving his significant other in the doorway, rides down his street and crosses a river via a big white bridge. I inferred that I was watching him ride out to meet his compatriots, but I recognized the bridge he crosses. As it happens, I rode across it about 6 days ago. It's in Rockford, IL and crosses the Rock River. A quick Google search tells me that Josh lives in Rockford. So, did he ride his custom and handmade bike from Rockford to San Francisco and then back to New York? If so, I would have thought that worthy of note. If not, then why the footage of him pulling out of his driveway?

Like I said, though, it's a good way to spend 70 minutes.

Interesting, and as MMC asks, I also wondered if they rode back again.

Bummer, Road is not available on the UK Netflix and can't get there via a VPN anymore. I'll have to find another way
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 01:04 AM by JustCruising.)
05-07-2016 12:47 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do to/with your other bike?
:blush:Lord Popgun — 05:28 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… : . . .Nachodaddy — 04:46 PM
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was a . . .GoldOxide — 04:34 PM
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was almos . . .Lord Popgun — 03:56 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… :DLord Popgun — 03:55 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
There could always be worse headlines . . .Gone in 60 — 03:10 PM
Todays weather
Today was overcast and it reached about . . .GoldOxide — 02:53 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That is very pretty! I'm a bit chal . . .GoldOxide — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992